The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Is any of McCreary's older TV stuff not out?

Yep...McCreary occasionally challenging Goldsmith has always intrigued me since I heard about it, and I was surprised that an album never came. How cool would it be?

http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/damien/

Yavar

Doug's Corner:

4/7/2019

2 CD set. Greatly expanded from the version we offered back in our early years. My personal favorite score by this master. Some call it his greatest. Certainly it is his most personal and emotionally overwhelming. Great film, too! Artwork and contents will be posted tomorrow afternoon. Orders will begin shipping on Tuesday, April 9. If you know this score, you’re probably on top of its power. If you don’t know this one and want to be moved by 100 minutes of heartfelt orchestral writing, it comes highly recommended.

We know there is a Safan coming sometime this year, and Roger's recent clue says:

Some consider our next release this composer's magnum opus -- now featured on an expanded 2-CD from a television event from the early '90s.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=81229#p81229

I've been calling Son of the Morning Star Safan's magnum opus for years on the boards, like here when his score to The Last Starfighter was released complete by Intrada:

Yavar Moradi wrote:
Thanks for the behind the scenes info Doug, and thanks for this amazing expansion! I must argue about 'inarguably finest hour'. It would be no contest were it not for another Safan score -- also released by Intrada -- that isn't perhaps as fun, exciting, or nostalgic as Starfighter but is more profound, his finest hour on slightly different criteria. I am of course speaking of the gorgeous Son of the Morning Star, and I assure you I am far from alone in my appreciation! I hope Intrada is considering revisiting that one too, for all the many people who weren't lucky enough to snag a copy, or those just now discovering Safan's music. It's now very expensive on the second hand market, and many owners like myself would also re-buy for any extra music, better sound quality (not that the old one sounded anything other than wonderful, but the same was true of Starfighter and look what you e just achieved with that), or more substantial liner notes!

Yavar

Yeah, we're huge fans of Son Of The Morning Star. I worked really hard back then to get Republic Pictures willing to give us rights. Happily they not only did that but also turned over to us the entire recording sessions for the mini-series itself. So we've got a boatload of unreleased material we could add to our earlier album. Just keep in mind the challenges of renewing interest with the current license holder. But don't for one minute think we're not on top of it.

And, yes, I agree it gives The Last Starfighter a run for the money. How could it not?? Morning Star is filled with trumpet solos!! :)
--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6505&start=15

So I'd say this is almost certainly the next release...and if you don't know this incredibly powerful score, it's time to get acquainted!

Yavar

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Yes. Not all 2.5 hours but as stately, solemn americana offering (rather Horner-ish) it is quite good:

Is your "2.5 hours" a joke about how long it feels to you? ;) Because the complete score as Intrada just released it is 1.68 hours...

I agree it bears similarities with Horner's string writing...or rather, they both take some inspiration from Ralph Vaughan Williams (a good source of inspiration!)

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

Intrada's having a 30% of sale on a bunch of GREAT titles

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl?sc=16&category=67400

Fixed that for you. ;)

Also we have a new clue from Roger!

Next Tuesday we release an expanded edition of of a mid-90s outdoor adventure score. New release more doubles length of original release.

Intriguing!

Yavar

Here's the source for that quote

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8129

Alive by James Newton Howard?

City Slickers II by Marc Shaiman?

Iron Will by Joel McNeely?

Beyond Rangoon by Hans Zimmer?

The Jungle Book by Basil Poledouris?

Bushwacked by Bill Conti?

Jumanji by James Horner?

The Quest by Randy Edelman?

Well it's probably Iron Will by Joel McNeely since he was on Roger's list of composers for the year, and the OST was only 30 minutes long.

Conti and Edelman were also on his list, but Bushwacked never had an OST, and The Quest OST was over 40 minutes long (and Roger doesn't say the new edition is a 2CD)

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well it's probably Iron Will by Joel McNeely since he was on Roger's list of composers for the year, and the OST was only 30 minutes long.

Conti and Edelman were also on his list, but Bushwacked never had an OST, and The Quest OST was over 40 minutes long (and Roger doesn't say the new edition is a 2CD)

Could it be Joel McNeely's Wild America?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_America_(film)

I mean, they still do non-Disney expansions too.

1997 is late 90s, not mid 90s

Plus, the OST was 45 minutes long, and Roger didn't say it's a 2CD.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's borderline!  I consider '93 and '97 as mid if you're fudging it.

What are you talking about?

90,91,92 = early

93,94,95,96 = mid

97,98,99 = late

or 

90,91,92,93 = early

94,95,96 = mid

97,98,99 = late

There is no other option. 

When you split 10 items into thirds, one of them is gonna have 4 and the other two 3, but you're not going to have one with only 2!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

What are you talking about?

90,91,92 = early

93,94,95,96 = mid

97,98,99 = late

or 

90,91,92,93 = early

94,95,96 = mid

97,98,99 = late

There is no other option. 

When you split 10 items into thirds, one of them is gonna have 4 and the other two 3, but you're not going to have one with only 2!

Yes, but most people aren't always that exacting in their thinking.  They just fudge it and it comes down to the person.

Roger has posted before that 0,1,2 is early, 4,5,6 is mid, and 7,8,9 is late.  I don't remember where he slotted 3.

No one considers 1997 as part of the mid 90s instead of the late 90s.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Iron Will, the two Homeward Bounds, Far from Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog, it was a golden age of outdoor animal adventure movies.

And only one of them has a cat. Meh. 

Far From Home and the Homeward Bounds are the only one of these ya'll need. McNeely's is merely adequate and nondescript. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

No one considers 1997 as part of the mid 90s instead of the late 90s.

I do. 1997 is as far from 1995 as it is from 1999. And 1993 is even closer to 1995 than it is to 1990.

Plus, many of us were in their mid to late teens in the 90s, giving us a very subjective perspective on individual years.

4/21/2019

Even amidst the current sale, our new Intrada CD releases continue… albeit at a slower pace reflecting the reality of overworked licensors dividing time between swinging for the fences with mega-blockbusters, usually with heroes gifted with super powers, and signing their approvals to CDs being produced by much smaller entities such as ours. One such overworked studio - as big as you’ll find in the entertainment industry - recently signed off on our latest CD and it can be yours starting this Tuesday, April 23. Disney, one of the best things that ever happened to us, gives the ‘thumb’s up’ to this greatly expanded release from the 90’s. Symphonic music at its most robust! Artwork, contents and sound samples will be posted here tomorrow eve

Why is that shocking?  Iron Will, the film that best fit the clues Roger gave a few days ago, is a Disney film/score.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think he had a brain fart.

A bit amusing to hear a McNeely score described as "Symphonic music at its most robust!" but I guess Doug's gotta sell his wares.

McNeely is a great composer!

11 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Do any of these Disney releases ever turn out to be any good or are they all made for TV Donald Duck movies?

I mean, Intrada's editions of The Rocketeer, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Baby Secret of the Lost Legend, and Night Crossing are pretty great

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean, Intrada's editions of The Rocketeer, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Baby Secret of the Lost Legend, and Night Crossing are pretty great

The two Homeward Bounds as well.

I'd also mention Operation Dumbo Drop, but I'm that score's biggest and only fan :lol:

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The two Homeward Bounds as well.

I'd also mention Operation Dumbo Drop, but I'm that score's biggest and only fan :lol:

Say what?? I LOVE that score! A shame they couldn't find the complete thing, but I still enjoyed their expansion.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

Say what?? I LOVE that score! A shame they couldn't find the complete thing, but I still enjoyed their expansion.

Yavar

It's my favorite D. Newman score by far!  You should've asked him about it in your interview ;) 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's my favorite D. Newman score by far!  You should've asked him about it in your interview ;) 

Well, our conversation went for about an hour and 45 minutes as recorded -- already a very substantial interview, unusually long for a film composer interview, and I think about 45 minutes longer than David had originally planned on...though he seemed to end up enjoying himself and I'm grateful he was so generous with his time. I'd point that it's called The Goldsmith Odyssey so I prioritized a focus on his relationship to Jerry and his music, and even with that there was stuff I left uncovered such as his experience scoring faux Star Trek with Galaxy Quest, his experience scoring faux Rambo with Malone, and the two selections he newly recorded (Legend and Rambo: First Blood Part II, I think) for Varese's 1985 celebration album. If I opened it up more in depth to his own work, we could have talked for hours and hours! Maybe on a future interview, if he's ever up for another. :)

Yavar