The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

And the part when Indy steals the Coronado cross in IJTLJ. And the nazi chase motif from Raiders. In a broader sense, all those Williams 80's fanfares for expensive public occasions (Amazing Stories being one of them). There was a time i wanted this desperately (mid-90's). Today i wouldn't even download it for free.

8 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Isn't this the one that has the uuhhhhh coughcoughcopieslastcrusadewaytooclosetothetemptrackcoughcough?

Oh so it isn't just the phantom train episode of Young Indy that does that?

Karol

14 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I don't care about the temp-track stuff since I don't often listen to the Indy scores or Silverado, but even beyond that, McNeelly's lame. I bought a Tinkerbell score and regret it.

He's done some good stuff. Terminal Velocity is cool.

And apparently Goldsmith liked him enough to request his help for Air Force One! 

I mean, he's technically competent, he just...lacks personality? I guess? In that there's no reason to get particularly excited by any particular work of his?

• 2 weeks later...

'Composed and performed by' is not a phrase you see much these days is it?

In this case I suppose it means it's in Edelman's usual synth style. Suppose it makes it cheap to release if there's no orchestra or other orchestrating people to pay.

Clue:

Intrada revisits an earlier Special Collection release that sold out practically overnight. New master elements were found so the program was rebuilt from the ground up and features better sound. Neat score from the early '70s will be nice to have back in circulation. While interest lasts of course.

Karol

Well here is a list of the titles in the Special Collection line to pick from

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4813

And here is the list of composers again 

Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (sigh), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay and more!

and

An update to the list: Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (maybe...no promises yet), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay, Richard Band, Laurence Rosenthal, Jerry Fielding, Bear McCreary, Randy Edelman, possibly Frank DeVol and more! And sometimes more than one by these composers! This includes some world premieres, reissues, expansions...a little of everything.

Jerry Fielding's LAWMAN fits the all 3 clues - early Special Collection (the 17th one), early 70s (1971), on the (second) list of composers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawman_(film)

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/22352/Lawman

I don't think their 70th Special Collection title would be considered an "early" Special Collection title.  Early would be like, the first 20-30 titles

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's still amazing to me that the soundtrack collecting market was once so robust that a Jerry Fielding score could sell out "practically overnight"

I think this actually happened on several Fielding releases Intrada put out, usually at no more than 1500 copies (2000 on rare occasion like Scorpio, maybe). This was long before their "while quantities and interest" remain policy.

If this is Lawman I may have to get it because that's my favorite Fielding score and a DYNAMITE listen on disc. Another Fielding possibility is The Nightcomers (same year - 1971) which also sold out really fast IIRC. In fact it sold out so fast that it's one of the few Fielding Intrada releases I missed out on, and the sound samples for it are really intriguing and different, for Fielding:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5768/.f?category=-101

But maybe since that's ISC 63, it wouldn't be considered early enough? Seeing as how it was released over a decade ago though, I'd say it still qualifies.

Yavar

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's still amazing to me that the soundtrack collecting market was once so robust that a Jerry Fielding score could sell out "practically overnight"

It happened to a lot of releases. There was a frantic rush to place orders back in the day whenever a new expansion was announced. I remember scores like Explorers, Predator, and Die Hard selling out in 24-48 hours. If you didn’t happen to check JWFan that day you essentially missed out. 

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The death of the CD, together with decline of good taste?

And of course, a lot of it is probably somehow Hanz' fault!

Yep, if you can stream it, why bother with an expensive CD release you have no space for. It's sad.

Also, I wonder if the idea of something like an expanded Harry Potter set sounds excessive to people? 'But I already gots the Harry Potter Theme *do do do dooo do doo dooo* what more do ya want ya greedy little schnick? Why I gots to gets this here set for a hundred buckos? Get fucked'  For some reason I imagined some fat guy from the bronx saying that... 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Yep, if you can stream it, why bother with an expensive CD release you have no space for. It's sad.

If the HP box were available digitally for say 1/3 of the price, how many people would've gone for that instead?

I certainly don't have unlimited physical space to put CDs, and I don't so much arrange them for display as stack them on the least full shelf, often in front of other CDs. I put far more value into just being able to listen to the professionally mastered music than worry about the physical media it came on.

Hence I don't really think it's sad that people are moving away from physical media. It's a reflection of what method consumers use to play their music.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So what changed? I still don't understand why higher-profile scores are selling less quickly these days.

Well Intrada got rid of their “limited release of xxxx copies” business model and that radically changed how fast their releases sell. Some people buy stuff just because it’s rare and in high demand. People would buy tens of copies of a long awaited expansion just so they could sell it for $100 a pop once it sold out. 

Tuesday the 21st brings us to another new Intrada CD release. Well, sort of new. We’re revisiting an earlier title that has been out of print for quite awhile. Since the initial album offered the complete score, our reissue includes the same musical contents. But this time it has not only been remastered, it has been completely re-edited and now plays largely in picture chronology where previously it was assembled with an emphasis on musicality and creative listening. Either way, it’s a terrific score from the composer’s most fertile period. Artwork, contents and sound samples should be available here this coming Monday eve.

8 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

So basically, they’re deliberately ruining an album presentation. 

They're true fanboys, after all.