• 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I'm not familiar with this movie.

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, if you say a piece is "not quite original" or something to that effect, it IS a bit of a criticism, however you meant it...

Originality ≠ quality. And a bit of a criticism ≠ outright criticism.

I'm sure most people wouldn't hear it. :blink:

Perhaps. I smell a poll coming. :lol:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways I think Williams can use the same "technique" on 2 themes and both be fantastic even if they "resemble" each other

Marion's Theme---Han Solo and the Princess

E.T. end Credits---Amazing Stories End Credits

There's probably dozens of examples

Then there's stuff like Gilderoy Lockheart vs No Ticket... it's easier to nitpick because No Ticket wasn't great to begin with

Anyways I think Williams can use the same "technique" on 2 themes and both be fantastic even if they "resemble" each other

Still beatin' up that straw man, eh? :lol:

Marion's Theme---Han Solo and the Princess

Strong similarities. Both are absolutely wonderful, but I'd hardly call either "quite original," since they are so obviously similar to each other and to the earlier Leia's theme.

E.T. end Credits---Amazing Stories End Credits

Haven't heard the latter, but I'd believe it.

Then there's stuff like Gilderoy Lockheart vs No Ticket... it's easier to nitpick because No Ticket wasn't great to begin with

That's a pretty extreme example...that goes beyond simply reusing a technique and ventures into the realm of self-pastiche.

Anyway, again...king mark, you can keep trying to prove to me that unoriginal music can be wonderful, but I assure you, you won't make any further progress. I already agree with you; it's kinda difficult to force me to do anything more than that. :blink:

The main theme is awesome. It sounds best in "Malcolm's Journey" when the boat approaches the island. I love Williams' percussion in this score, like the scene where the guys run through the grass and the unreleased cue when Roland hits the T-Rex with the tranquilizer dart.

We can all hope

Probably no sooner than 25 years after its theatrical release (so 2022)

Score: 3 stars (judging from JW's other ouput). Still a lot better than many scores out there by other composers.

Movie: 1.5 star. What a disappointment after Jurassic Park. Just slightly better than Crystal Skull.

I'm one of the few fans of the movie. It's not a great film by any means, but it's entertaining and a lot of fun. The CGI dinosaurs look even better than in the first Jurassic Park and perhaps as a result of Kaminfidhwjdjwoski's photography, they put poor Stan Winston's robots to shame. I'm sure a lot of work went into that baby stego, too.

Score: 3 stars (judging from JW's other ouput).

;) Do I have to teach you how to vote?

That's not the way to rate a JW score, or ANY score! You rate it based on ALL film works (that you know, of course).

The way you do it, you're "punishing" him because Star Wars and E.T. were so good!

;) Do I have to teach you how to vote?

That's not the way to rate a JW score, or ANY score! You rate it based on ALL film works (that you know, of course).

The way you do it, you're "punishing" him because Star Wars and E.T. were so good!

I don't vote by comparing the scores to other scores. I have a predetermined idea of what a masterpiece is, what a 4/5 is, what a 3/5 is, etc. And if a score meets that, then that's how I rate it. By your logic, there must be at least one rap CD that is a masterpiece.

Definitely worse than Jurassic Park. The sequel is a disaster and I find nothing appealing about the neurotic score. An all-time low for both artists.

Alex

Definatly an improvement over Jurassic Park. The sequel is very successfull and I find the thrilling score very appealing.

You wrote "definately" instead of definitely so I'm right and you are wrong. ;)

:mellow: Do I have to teach you how to vote?

I don't vote by comparing the scores to other scores. I have a predetermined idea of what a masterpiece is, what a 4/5 is, what a 3/5 is, etc. And if a score meets that, then that's how I rate it. By your logic, there must be at least one rap CD that is a masterpiece.

Rap CD? What the heck are you talking about?

How do you have a predetermined idea of what a masterpiece is? By knowing what other scores there are out there...

How indy4 determines a masterpiece is based on his own criteria from his personal taste. Rating a score based on every other film score is a terrible way to rate them. Is that how you do it Josh? If I did it like that, like I said earlier, scores like Jurassic Park and The Lost World and Born On The Fourth Of July would be getting 1s and 2s.

Rating a score based on every other film score is a terrible way to rate them. Is that how you do it Josh? If I did it like that, like I said earlier, scores like Jurassic Park and The Lost World and Born On The Fourth Of July would be getting 1s and 2s.

You've got to be kidding me. Why? Because most other scores are so much better than JP, TLW, and so on??? :mellow:

You're saying that in order to rate a CD, you compare it to every thing else you've heard in its genre. That means in order to be a masterpiece, you only have to be better than the other scores. In other words, the best of the genre is a masterpiece, in your system. So there must be at least one rap CD that is a masterpiece, because there must be one rap CD that's better than all the rest. Even if it still completely sucks, you would call it a masterpiece and give it 5/5 because it's better than any other rap thing you've heard. Every genre you listen to must have a masterpiece, even if you think it sucks.

Whereas if I heard a terrible rap CD that was slightly better than the usual rap, I would still give it the 1/5 stars I felt it deserved, because I have a preconceived notion of what I would rate certain levels of music quality.

You're saying that in order to rate a CD, you compare it to every thing else you've heard in its genre. That means in order to be a masterpiece, you only have to be better than the other scores. In other words, the best of the genre is a masterpiece, in your system. So there must be at least one rap CD that is a masterpiece, because there must be one rap CD that's better than all the rest. Even if it still completely sucks, you would call it a masterpiece and give it 5/5 because it's better than any other rap thing you've heard. Every genre you listen to must have a masterpiece, even if you think it sucks.

Whereas if I heard a terrible rap CD that was slightly better than the usual rap, I would still give it the 1/5 stars I felt it deserved, because I have a preconceived notion of what I would rate certain levels of music quality.

So what you're trying to say is you don't like rap. :)

You have to know what's out there in order to know what's good and what's bad. If every other composer out there wrote something comparable to Star Wars and E.T., those 2 wouldn't be considered masterpieces, would they? Logic, my friend, logic.

I interpret Josh500's sentiments as being similar to that of Syndrome's..."if everybody has super-powers, then no one is super." While I do see the logic in it, I ultimately agree with indy4, I think the best way to judge any given piece of music is to judge from, to use a quote, " a preconceived notion of what [one] would rate certain levels of music quality".

Rating a score based on every other film score is a terrible way to rate them. Is that how you do it Josh? If I did it like that, like I said earlier, scores like Jurassic Park and The Lost World and Born On The Fourth Of July would be getting 1s and 2s.

You've got to be kidding me. Why? Because most other scores are so much better than JP, TLW, and so on??? :mellow:

Yes.

You've got to be kidding me. Why? Because most other scores are so much better than JP, TLW, and so on??? :blink:

Yes.

:mellow::huh::lol::mellow::rolleyes: <_< :angry::banghead::fouetaa:

We're talking about the history of film scores here. If you compare The Lost World to something like Ben-Hur or The Godfather, it's nothing. That's why it's a stupid way to rate scores. I rate based on how it works in the film and factor in how it is compared to other works by the same composer.

We're talking about the history of film scores here. If you compare The Lost World to something like Ben-Hur or The Godfather, it's nothing.

I'm not especially familiar with either score, but in any case, my smiley overdose was more in response to Jurassic Park being referred to as having one of the worst film scores ever written. I find it to be among the best works of my favorite composer. (As I've said, my opinions on TLW are more lukewarm.)

That's why it's a stupid way to rate scores. I rate based on how it works in the film and factor in how it is compared to other works by the same composer.

I can agree with that, for the most part. If a really excellent composer and a really poor composer were to write the exact same work, I might rate the latter a little higher than the former, but I try to just rate it based on how much I like it, in and of itself.

:rolleyes: Do I have to teach you how to vote?

No you don't have to teach me anything. If you judge something by rating it, you need a reference. In this case JW's other scores are the most logical reference in my opinion. Let it up to people how they want to vote, ok? You should be glad people are posting in your "polls" anyway, Josh, you realize that I hope.

No you don't have to teach me anything. If you judge something by rating it, you need a reference. In this case JW's other scores are the most logical reference in my opinion. Let it up to people how they want to vote, ok? You should be glad people are posting in your "polls" anyway, Josh, you realize that I hope.

:banghead:

:banghead: You're talking as if you're doing me a favor. Idiot!

I interpret Josh500's sentiments as being similar to that of Syndrome's..."if everybody has super-powers, then no one is super." While I do see the logic in it, I ultimately agree with indy4, I think the best way to judge any given piece of music is to judge from, to use a quote, " a preconceived notion of what [one] would rate certain levels of music quality".

Well, you don't seem to realize that we have a "preconceived notion etc." just because we know many differennt socres... subconsciously we rate them in our minds... or do you think we are born with a "preconceived notion" of what a good score should be?

5 stars for the score which is the all out action score of JWs career. I love the jungle rhythms and dark atmosphere of the score in general which is really so different from its predecessor. A complete version of this soundtrack would be most welcome :rolleyes:

3 stars for the movie.

5 stars for the score which is the all out action score of JWs career. I love the jungle rhythms and dark atmosphere of the score in general which is really so different from its predecessor. A complete version of this soundtrack would be most welcome :blink:

3 stars for the movie.

I bought the Japanese version of the score, as I said, and there was an addional booklet íncluded that gave a little information on the scoring session: apparently some cues were so difficult to play (especially the percussion-heavy tracks)that the musicians had to rehearse much longer than usual to get it right... One musician even claimed it was the hardest thing he'd ever worked on so far.

Alas, I've lost that Japanese booklet...

There are plenty of rap CD's that are masterpieces.

Paul's Boutique comes to mind.