• 4.5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I'm not familiar with this movie (yeah, right!).
  3. 3. Which theme do you prefer?

• Theme from Jurassic Park
    • The "Island Theme" ("End Credits")

These are all too harmless to form someone's taste. Could it be Star Wars?

Alex, in all honesty, when i first saw 'Star Wars', me and all my classmates agreed that all the desert planet stuff was actually fucking boring. We loved 'Bloodsport', though. ;)

All kids love JCVD.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been awhile since I read the book, but I remember liking them both equally, but for vastly different reasons.

I've read the book, but this not is among Crichton's best works, IMO.

If it weren't for the movie, no one would even remember the novel.

You could say that for a lot of books, doesn't mean the movie is any good.

No, and I never said that.

But here, the movie is pretty good.

It's been awhile since I read the book, but I remember liking them both equally, but for vastly different reasons.

I've read the book, but this not is among Crichton's best works, IMO.

i would, since i like dinosaurs very much :mellow:

Yes, especially since the film was made based on the popularity of a best selling novel that was talked about quite a bit.

My favorite missing cues are:

1) The History Lesson

2) The Encased Mosquito

3) The Entrance of Mr. Hammond

1) The History Lesson

2) The Encased Mosquito

I want the cue that plays when they're trying to decide where to sit in the cars...

5 stars for the score. A classic to me. The score that sparked my whole soundtrack enthusiasm. I should thank my cousin for letting me listen to the CD at his place and copy it to a casette which I played to death at home. I finally bought the CD from my cousin who had had enough of it :rolleyes: To me a quintessential film score that creates a musical world in which you can get immersed. With this music my Jurassic Park extended vastly beyond the scope of the film as it painted such strong images on its own. And it still holds the same emotional effect after all these years. I am still awed.

4,5 stars for the film. I just loved this film as a kid as I was, as many 10 and 11 year olds are, a dinosaur fan and seeing those in a film and in such scope and sense of "realism" was mind blowing. And as the film has aged it has certainly become an entertaining adventure movie which I revisit from time to time.

And I do love the Dinosaurs theme, the hymn like melody which depicts the awe and majesty of these ancient creatures.

1) The History Lesson

2) The Encased Mosquito

I want the cue that plays when they're trying to decide where to sit in the cars...

That one is called The History Lesson in JW's manuscripts. It's really the best cue of the entire score, IMO.

Every time I try to decide which unreleased cue I want the most, I can't do it! They're all quite good. "The History Lesson" is a pretty strong contender, though...such gorgeously gentle statements of the Island fanfare on flute and oboe...

Every time I try to decide which unreleased cue I want the most, I can't do it! They're all quite good. "The History Lesson" is a pretty strong contender, though...such gorgeously gentle statements of the Island fanfare on flute and oboe...

Indeed, and so much harmonical and orchestrational wit. I can't see why they decided to leave it off the OST.

Indeed, and so much harmonical and orchestrational wit. I can't see why they decided to leave it off the OST.

Yes all the unreleased material from JP is really outstanding. JWs superpower of compiling his albums leaves these magical tracks off of them very often. Including the second part of the end credits a second time of course rounded up the listening experience for him much better than including "The History Lesson" or any other cues. :music:

1) The History Lesson

2) The Encased Mosquito

That one is called The History Lesson in JW's manuscripts. It's really the best cue of the entire score, IMO.

HAHAHAHAHA. I hope you meant of the entire unreleased score...

For some reason I had the idea that "History Lesson" was the cue that plays during the documentary...

He clearly didn't, Josh. Why don't you just accept it and stop being a jerk?

Is "The History Lesson" the cue that plays when the company is first getting into the jeep?

Is "The History Lesson" the cue that plays when the company is first getting into the jeep?

Take a break, dude. Who's talking to you?

If you don't want to include him in your conversation, don't put it on a public message board.

If you don't want to include him in your conversation, don't put it on a public message board.

I was talking to MSN. Not to Henry. :blink:

From my flawed recollection of the film, I can only assume that "The History Lesson" is the animated segment featuring Mr. DNA. I could very well be wrong, though.

From my flawed recollection of the film, I can only assume that "The History Lesson" is the animated segment featuring Mr. DNA. I could very well be wrong, though.

Well, that's what I thought.

But apparently it's the "history lesson" from Tim... :blink:

I was talking to MSN. Not to Henry. :blink:

Right, so whenever someone replies to someone else, I will never ever reply to that because I am invading on a private conversation.

I was talking to MSN. Not to Henry. :P

Right, so whenever someone replies to someone else, I will never ever reply to that because I am invading on a private conversation.

I am not intruding on anything, am I?

How many quoted replies nested within a single post does it take to become incoherent? Three? Four?

I counted seven in that post. My eyeballs hurt.

I would assume the cue gets its name because of Tim's "chat" with Alan about how dinosaurs became extinct. Doesn't that take place when they're getting into the cars? I could be wrong.

Okay, time to clear up the confusion about unreleased JP cue names! :P

* "The Encased Mosquito" - exactly what it sounds like

* "The Entrance of Mr. Hammond" - Hammond makes his proposal in the trailer in Montana

* "Cartoon Demonstration" - Mickey-Mousing source music heard in the Mr. DNA film

* "You Bred Raptors" - in the nursery, Dr. Grant feels a disturbance in the Force while holding the newborn raptor

* "The History Lesson" - shenanigans with Dr. Grant and the kids as they get into the Jeeps

* "The Coming Storm" - oh, the weather outside is frightful

* "The Trouble with Dennis" - the good guys start to realize something's wrong while Dennis Nedry drives through the storm in the Jeep

* "The T-Rex Chase" - exactly what it sounds like

* (untitled, reel 11 part 1) - the SYSTEM READY line appears on the computer screen after the power is shut down

* "Hungry Raptor" - the raptor chases Ellie out of the utility shed while Muldoon hunts and is hunted - the unused half is mostly heard in the end credits of a feature on the DVD

I remember being let down by the ending, but was willing to let it slide because I knew I was viewing a breakthrough in movie fx. Something I could tell my grandkids about, much like my grandpa could talk about how real King Kong was in 1933 (of course, Kong destroys Jurassic Park). The girl who was with me kept hiding her face on me, so it was worth something I guess. :P

I felt the movie was most successful at depicting what seems to us as the ruthlessness of the wild. The human victim screams, the creature doesn't care. He's going to eat him anyways.

4 for the movie and score. It's overrated but still good.

I prefer the main theme to the Island theme. Always liked the uplifting, lyrical quality it had.

Okay, time to clear up the confusion about unreleased JP cue names! :P

* "The Encased Mosquito" - exactly what it sounds like

* "The Entrance of Mr. Hammond" - Hammond makes his proposal in the trailer in Montana

* "Cartoon Demonstration" - Mickey-Mousing source music heard in the Mr. DNA film

* "You Bred Raptors" - in the nursery, Dr. Grant feels a disturbance in the Force while holding the newborn raptor

* "The History Lesson" - shenanigans with Dr. Grant and the kids as they get into the Jeeps

* "The Coming Storm" - oh, the weather outside is frightful

* "The Trouble with Dennis" - the good guys start to realize something's wrong while Dennis Nedry drives through the storm in the Jeep

* "The T-Rex Chase" - exactly what it sounds like

* (untitled, reel 11 part 1) - the SYSTEM READY line appears on the computer screen after the power is shut down

* "Hungry Raptor" - the raptor chases Ellie out of the utility shed while Muldoon hunts and is hunted - the unused half is mostly heard in the end credits of a feature on the DVD

Thanks for this! 8O

Are these just the highlights of the unreleased cues? Or are these all of them? Without watching the movie, I can't say...

4 for the movie and score. It's overrated but still good.

I prefer the main theme to the Island theme. Always liked the uplifting, lyrical quality it had.

Jurassic Park was the score that got me into John Williams, and experiencing the film in the theaters was something I'll never forget. That's why it will always have a special place in my heart.

However, whenever I feel like listening to the score, I end up playing Jaws.

Are these just the highlights of the unreleased cues? Or are these all of them? Without watching the movie, I can't say...

That's all of them. And also, luckily the cues he DID include on the OST contained no micro-edits

Why he chose to include Goat Bait over The History Lesson I'll never know...

I felt the movie was most successful at depicting what seems to us as the ruthlessness of the wild. The human victim screams, the creature doesn't care. He's going to eat him anyways.

I thought that's where it failed. The book does a very good job of that, but the film, at it's first good chance, has the failing to be funny "cowardly lawyer is eaten by giant dino" scene. The Nedry scene, very tense in the book, is also played for comedy a bit too much.

Jurassic Park was the score that got me into John Williams, and experiencing the film in the theaters was something I'll never forget. That's why it will always have a special place in my heart.

Yes, same here. One of the most exciting motion picture experiences of my life...

That's all of them. And also, luckily the cues he DID include on the OST contained no micro-edits

Why he chose to include Goat Bait over The History Lesson I'll never know...

"Goat Bait"? :lol: Is that even scored? Which cue are you talking about...?

The Nedry scene, very tense in the book, is also played for comedy a bit too much.

I don't think so. What's funny about that scene, except maybe Wayne Knight's appearance? :)

Score - 5

Movie - 3,5

Theme from Jurassic Park

Many older fans don't realize that Jurassic Park and Hook (and all the stuff from the era) are like Jaws and Star Wars to many younger fans. The scores from 70's came later for me. As it stands, JP is one of the scores that made me a film music fan. Ah, the childhood memories. :lol:

Karol

Many older fans don't realize that Jurassic Park and Hook (and all the stuff from the era) are like Jaws and Star Wars to many younger fans.

Very interesting, Karol. It's hard for me to rate JP as highly as Jaws or SW, but it's probably because our generations are a bit different.

That said, I find Journey to the Island an absolute triumph, but the album presentation is a mess. Also, some of the action music is a bit... loud and unrefined. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's meant to underscore raptors and such, but it isn't always an easy listen for me. It's symphonically noisy in parts where it could've used a bit more of a driving rhythm on which the dangerous musical statements could be pinned. And the aforementioned repetition on the album is a drag. As such, I give the score a low 4. (I haven't heard the unreleased stuff outside the film.)

The movie is wonderful, and the special effects... man, they still hold up to this day. For some reason, the cgi here works better than in other films that followed. The smart decisions on how to mix CGI with Stan Winston's animatronics were brilliant. I always enjoy this movie when I watch it, but for some reason, I don't revisit it all that often. I give it a 4.

Recently, I had to chuckle when the young girl remarks, "Look! It's an INTERACTIVE CD-ROM!!!! You just touch the screen and it takes you where you want to go!" :lol: Cutting edge.

I don't think so. What's funny about that scene, except maybe Wayne Knight's appearance? :lol:

He's been presented as "funny weird guy" the whole movie, so his talking to the dinos, slipping on the rocks etc comes across as too cartoonish.

I absolutely get that. For me it was Hook rather than Jurassic Park, and that's certainly a big reason why I love that score so much.