The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ron Gilbert wants to reboot Monkey Island: http://www.eurogamer...ead-of-new-game

Seems mostly like conjecture to me. I'm sure he'd *like* to do it (and make the Real MI3), but one of his first tweets after the Lucas/Disney merger was about how unlikely he thinks it that he could get the rights back from Disney.

Well I hope something cool happens with all this. I'd love Ron Gilbert to return to the franchise in a major way, preferably with his original conclusion of the trilogy but anything would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I were to play The Secret of Monkey Island, what would you recommend: the original version or the special edition?

Special edition. You can switch to the original version while playing by just pressing a button (original graphics, music and controls).

secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition-before-after.jpg

On 6/21/2012 at 11:10 AM, Jay said:

[media=]

When a brilliant particle physicist dies unexpectedly, the race is on to secure his terrible new technology before it falls into the wrong hands. The lives of four playable characters become entangled as they fight against the clock to find the dead scientist's secret vault. The suspicions they harbor, the memories they guard, the connections they share—all will converge as these four ordinary people work together to prevent a potentially cataclysmic disaster.

Features:

- Voiceover work featuring fan favorite Logan Cunningham (Bastion)

- Four playable swappable characters

- A twisting, riveting storyline influenced by player decisions

- Long and short term memory system - ask anybody about anything!

Anybody played yet?

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to it. Somehow I'm not quite as totally excited as I was a year ago when the Kickstarter campaign started. But even if it turns out to be a bit short, it should still be a nice game. And all the documentaries alone would have been worth my $100. Those and the t-shirt, that is. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2013 at 6:13 AM, Alexander said:

If I were to play The Secret of Monkey Island, what would you recommend: the original version or the special edition?

Special edition retains the charm so that.

Hopefully this'll finally shut up Marian once and for all! :P

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-10-fan-made-monkey-island-game-announced

Nothing short of an official Gilbert MI3 will shut me up. This looks cool though. Only I wouldn't count on them getting this out in the open without getting issues with Disney.

In a blog post eulogizing Lucasfilm Games, Ron Gilbert indicated he still hoped he could one day get the rights to Monkey Island back to himself, and that the closure of LucasArts has no impact. Really good read:

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a470474/monkey-island-co-creator-ron-gilbert-says-goodbye-to-lucasarts.html

Nothing short of an official Gilbert MI3 will shut me up. This looks cool though. Only I wouldn't count on them getting this out in the open without getting issues with Disney.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47846.0

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Played Telltale's Walking Dead through the weekend (the first season and the released episodes of the second season so far). I'm not a great fan of zombies today, I think they're a little overused, but after being a fan of their Sam and Max and Monkey Island games and hearing a lot of positive buzz around it, I decided to give it a go. And I gotta tell ya, it changed me. I feel pretty damn different after playing it, it affected me so deeply, particularly the first season. Sadly I knew some spoilers but I was still entranced with the story and every decision I had to make was like a stab to my soul. I'm a pretty neutral person, I really don't like taking sides, but here I had no choice. I know it's fiction, but somehow I feel this is where we're going as a society. Luckily we won't be around to see it, but it's still quite depressing.

One aspect that it's kinda saddening gameplay wise is how Telltale keeps stripping their games of the adventure-game mechanicals. Of course this is nothing new, as the company proressed and became more popular this was a continuing evolution for them. Monkey Island and the third Sam and Max season are examples of this evolution away from the genre itself. Here there are absolutely no puzzles -or at least none that I can remember- but at least the gripping story and the exquisite cinematic feel make up for it. The second season though feels a little dissapointing, though. The first two episodes present hardly a challenge in terms of moral decisions and they feel like they move along two quickly. Having Clem as a main character is fantastic, and the fact that her innocence's gone and she's so cynic now is brilliant, but it's lacking the heart-punching stuff from the first season. Practically in every episode from the first season, there was a moment where I was completely in shock or in a cascade of tears. It really got to me, so I hope the next two episodes make up for it. The third one is already showing promise in that aspect. It's the best one of the second season so far.

Lee, Kenny and Clem are awesome. Great great GREAT character writing. I wanna play it again and take the opposite decisions, but somehow I feel I won't be able to do it. I like the characters that much.

Now it got me interested in the actual series, so finally I'm gonna check it out. The first season at least, and see how it goes from there.

I don't understand the love for that game. Awful writing, and the cartoonish style doesn't help your drama. The voice acting is pretty good though. The Last Of Us trumps it in all departments.

I respectfully disagree, I thought both the writing and the voice-acting were top-notch, and the caricaturesque style lend itself very nicely into the story and gave it an original feel, instead of being another ultra-realistic looking game -which Telltale isn't good at anyways, so I'm glad they didn't go for that.

Just for the sake of curiosity, do you like adventure games like Monkey Island and such, Koray? Not that TWD is really one but it has many of the same elements and structure of that type of games.

Yeah I enjoyed the first four episodes, even if I do find them a little overrated. I never did get around to finishing it, must get it done.

Does it make much difference if I haven't got the original save game?

Depends, I imagine there's bound to be some difference with what you originally chose but it's not like Heavy Rain where virtually everything you do affects the outcome of the game.

I respectfully disagree, I thought both the writing and the voice-acting were top-notch, and the caricaturesque style lend itself very nicely into the story and gave it an original feel, instead of being another ultra-realistic looking game -which Telltale isn't good at anyways, so I'm glad they didn't go for that.

Just for the sake of curiosity, do you like adventure games like Monkey Island and such, Koray? Not that TWD is really one but it has many of the same elements and structure of that type of games.

I never played the Telltale Monkey Island games, but I do like the first two ones. I have no issue with The Walking Dead's gameplay, but like I said it felt cheap. I couldn't connect to it. Maybe I shouldn't have said that the writing was awful, but how it blended with the gameplay was. One moment that really stood out to me was when the person dies in the convenience store. The way I played it ended up being that corny camera guy or whoever, and when the zombies break through the window and grab him, the chick just goes "Ahhh!" and covers her mouth for a stiff plastic moment of shock. It felt like a Debbie Downer "Oh shucks!" moment that was void of any real emotion. The experience is equivalent to watching a South Park animated version of Schindler's List or something.

Great news everyone (although I'm afraid few here will care):

Grim Fandango is getting a remastered release!

This is easily one of the best adventure games of all time, and high up among the greatest games I've ever played. Because it's not only great fun, it has a huge cast of memorable characters, poetic dialogues and a heart and scope that make sure it's as memorable and haunting as the best movies. Plus it has a great score. This retrospective contains a segment with composer Peter McConnell briefly mentioning Steiner and Williams:

Tim Schafer's tweets suggest that releases for more platforms might be announced before long, but if not, this would be a sure reason for me to get a PS4 when it comes out.

I actually played about a third of that game on my pc a few years back. It was pretty interesting, but I got distracted by a new release and never went back to it. I don't think I have the patience for point n click adventures anymore. Monkey Island 2 was the last one i finished, 20 odd years ago.

I also gave up on it the first time I played it (long ago), but when I finally played it through it was amazing. It's not actually point & click, although that was rather distracting at the time (a new 3D num pad/gamepad control scheme instead of the traditional point & click design). Should make the transition to a console more natural though.

Let's hope this means the score will get a re-release as well.

• 5 months later...

!!RON GILBERT IS MAKING A NEW CLASSIC POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thimbleweedpark/thimbleweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv

Interview with Gilbert and Winnick

And we can even start to do some good interactive stuff, like you heard with iMUSE in Monkey Island 2.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nobody mentioned this, but the other day, GOG released six more LucasArts/Disney games!

http://www.gog.com/

Outlaws

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

Monkey Island 2, Le Chuck's Revenge: Special Edition

Dig

Loom

I bought Outlaws, which I've never been able to get to work on a post-98 computer, and Dig, which I bought on eBay within the decade but can't find the disc.

No more Star Wars games this time, but if you didn't pick up the Star Wars Humble Bundle last month (and you care about old games) or don't already have all the good ones, shame on you.