• I'm not familiar with this movie.
    • 4 stars
  3. 3. Which score do YOU like more?

• Hook
    • Jurassic Park

Score: 5

Movie: 2.5

I prefer Jurassic Park.

I think this Spielberg project displays the greatest disparity between score and movie. The score is a masterpiece while the movie is near unwatchable.

After almost 20 years, it's high time that an expanded or complete edition is released!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score - 5

Movie - 1

As far as the JP vs. Hook battle goes.... I don't know... JP, I guess. It's more atypical for its movie.

Karol

Score 5+++++++. My favorite score of all time

Movie: 4. I have no problem with it.

5 and 4, otherwise agreed. The movie has its share of minor flaws, but I love the concept, and most of the execution is fine. I also like it much more than Disney's Peter Pan.

However, I can't vote, because I consider the JP and Hook scores equally brilliant. They're different enough, but both in their own way show Williams at the top of his game.

Really? You like this more than, say, Raiders, Star Wars, or E.T.?? :rolleyes:

Yes, I do.

My favorite score of all time basically vacillates between Hook and ESB. Right now its Hook. But they are both just so perfect!

Really? You like this more than, say, Raiders, Star Wars, or E.T.?? :rolleyes:

Yes, I do.

My favorite score of all time basically vacillates between Hook and ESB. Right now its Hook. But they are both just so perfect!

I gotta admit, while I love this score, I never got into it as much as I did into JP or Raiders etc.

Which tracks do you like most (except for Prologue, of course)? I'd appreciate it if you could tell me briefly what or which parts make this score so great! :lol:

Score- 4.5. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, but there's still a lot to love.

Movie- 2. Dustin Hoffman and Bob Hoskins are great, and that's about it.

Hook over JP any day.

I give the score a 4.5, and the film a 4. I personally think it is a very underrated Steven Spielberg film, and I love almost everything in the film except for a lot of the Lost Boys material.

I don't know why we need to constantly rate scores that have already been rated billions of times in the past. If it was one of JW's more obscure scores (eg Bachelor Flat) or a non-JW score then okay, but is there really any doubt that scores like Hook and Jurassic Park will get high marks?

And I say this as a former poll addict.

The score: 5 stars, I love it, it is my number one most-wanted expanded score now that TOD has a decent release and because I don't have any of the... you know...

I don't like the film at all, I don't like Robin Williams and I don't care too much about Peter Pan either.

And I prefer Hook.

4 for the score

2.5 for the film

I prefer JP over Hook

However, since Josh left out the option for 4 stars I can't vote.

I don't know why we need to constantly rate scores that have already been rated billions of times in the past.

Seriously. I almost did one for T. Newman's A Series Of Unfortunate Events in the same vein as Josh's polls, but then I just didn't.

I don't know why we need to constantly rate scores that have already been rated billions of times in the past.

Seriously. I almost did one for T. Newman's A Series Of Unfortunate Events in the same vein as Josh's polls, but then I just didn't.

I wouldn't really mind that. Lemony Snicket's isn't often talked about on this MB. But polls that rate scores like Hook...we all know the poll results, we all know the discussion (or lack of) that will result from the polls, we all know who likes them and who doesn't. I honestly never thought I'd be saying something like this.

5 stars for the score, 3.5 for the film, which has a wonderful first 40 minutes and a very nice epilogue (all the stuff not set in Neverland is actually quite good). The hinting of the Peter Pan mythology in all the Kensington scenes is fantastic. And in this case, the hinting is actually better than the showing. Like the scene of Peter looking at the pirates painting in the nursery (great job by Williams too). That scene alone fires up your imagination. And the real pay off never quite lives up to those wonderful kensington scenes.

Easily 5 for the score, it's a true masterpiece.

I'll always have a soft spot for the movie since I saw it at a young age and loved it, but I realize that it isn't perfect and that Spielberg has done much better. As it stands I'd have to give it either a 3.5 or a 4 so to be generous I'll go ahead and give it a 4, or I would if Josh had included that score in the poll. :P

Obviously I think Hook is better than Jurassic Park.

5 stars for the score, 3.5 for the film, which has a wonderful first 40 minutes and a very nice epilogue (all the stuff not set in Neverland is actually quite good). The hinting of the Peter Pan mythology in all the Kensington scenes is fantastic. And in this case, the hinting is actually better than the showing. Like the scene of Peter looking at the pirates painting in the nursery (great job by Williams too). That scene alone fires up your imagination. And the real pay off never quite lives up to those wonderful kensington scenes.

I'll actually agree with a lot of that Merkel, there is some nice setup in the London scenes.

5, 4, Hook.

This is just flat one of the absolute greatest scores of the '90s, and still high up in Williams's body of work. What a rich, delightful score.

I quite enjoy the film. As much as I try to see the side of those that dislike it--or hate it--I can't help but really enjoy it. As Marian said, any flaws are minor, and like Jason, I don't really have any problem with it. It's a very fun movie, for the most part well-executed, IMO.

I love that "unreleased" bit when the food appears on the table. When I saw the film that's the first unreleased music I noticed

It's one of the scores I most want as an expanded/complete release

I've seen people here praise the album presentation of Hook, but it's a letdown for me. I hate not having the film version of "The Flight to Neverland" (the alternate on album is awful in comparison), "The Never-Feast" film version, the music when Peter goes into the nursery and looks at the wallpaper and the complete end battle. Frankly, all of it is sorely needed and this thing is long overdue for complete score.

It is my most wanted expanded score (unless you count Back to the Future as an expanded score and not a never released one) and probably the only one left from Williams that I think is really crucial, although I would like an expanded ROTS, Azkaban and a complete TOD.

Score: 5 (Absolutely, one of Williams best. Bring on the complete score release!)

Movie: 3.5 (Superb at times. Underwhelming at others.)

Hook over J.P.

I echo most of what's been said here. Unlike the score, the film could have been better. My biggest issue is the cast of children. Overall, they just didn't do it for me emotionally.

It is my most wanted expanded score (unless you count Back to the Future as an expanded score and not a never released one) and probably the only one left from Williams that I think is really crucial, although I would like an expanded ROTS, Azkaban and a complete TOD.

And HPSS of course

Yeah I forgot HPSS, probably because I'm not that bothered by the CD which I think it's a good listen even with the missing music. The ROTS CD on the other hand is awful.

4.5 for the score. I got the OST recently to replace my mess of a footwear collection and I'm loving every minute of it.

I'd give the movie 2. I don't think it's quite as catastrophically bad as some people make it out, and I think from a character POV everyone is giving their all, but I think it has so many problems and even now seems incredibly dated.

Hook vs JP, that's a hard one, and again, I can't decide. I love them both.

Score:-2,

movie:- minus 10,000,000. An absolute bore! I would have goven the score 0.5, if it were not for "Banning Back Home", which, to this day, I am convinced was composed by Dave Grusin. Oh dear, more flacking, I think...

Uh yea, why is there no 4star option in either poll????

Sorry, my mistake. I corrected that... so if somebody wants to give 4 stars now, they can! ;)

Because not everybody has been a jwfan member for a billion years, like us! :cool: Besides, we're having a Hook poll every few years, not every few months!

The score is superb.

The film suffer from too many "this sounds like a great idea on paper" moments that ended up terrible on screen. The food fight. The name calling. Hook's attempted suicide.

It made him harder to take seriously as a villain. Here's this great and powerful man that Lost Boys and Indians and mermaids are in fear of, who probably knows by now that J.M. Barrie has committed his story to paper. But he's a complete and utter failure as a human being and wants to commit suicide.

Which doesn't make any sense because after stealing Pan's kids, he should have been practicing his victory dance. Sure, he could spend 40 years wallowing in sorrow that his arch rival, Peter Pan, disappeared, and want to commit suicide then. But steal Pan's kids, and see Pan returned as a 40-something overweight putz of a man, and then feel sorry for yourself and want to die anyways? Something's not right in his head, and he falters as a villain.

And yet...maybe there is a redeeming parallel here. Hook is the kind of villain that lives for the chase. He needs his foil, the hero, to outsmart him, lurking around every corner. We don't know what occupied his time over the decades that Pan was absent. It's reasonable to assume that time in Neverland stood still or really slowed down as Peter Pan got older. So as close to the brink as Hook was from missing Peter Pan over time, his return as the aforementioned sad looking man pushes Hook over the edge, because his nemesis won't provide the thrill of the chase anymore.

Even possessing Pan's kids doesn't offer a thrill. But manipulating and brainwashing Pan's kids, especially his son...that's what puts the twinkle back in Hook's eye and makes him want to live. So in that sense, he is a decent villain. He also is a tragic villain, because Pan's son provides Hook what he secretly and unadmittedly desired all along: a son. And that makes him sad, because Peter Pan was the son that Captain Hook never had. They just wanted to kill each other.

But is that really so strange?

HomerChokingBart.jpg

I thought the suicide scene was just to show that Hook was actually off his rocker.

That's one school of thought... ;)

Really, I think I've seen that movie only 3 times or so in my entire life... if that!

I thought the suicide scene was just to show that Hook was actually off his rocker.

It was. One of the funniest scenes in the movie.

awful movie, only saved by munich, and ai from scraping the bottom of the barrel

Score:-2,

That's an illogical rating .Your basically saying you don't like typical Williams adventure/fantasy writing