Jaws Score Discussion

Nick Parker

The Shark Cage Fugue is another stroke of genius ...

I agree. Though, I would like to hear a more 'classical' rendition of it. It already sounds like classical music albeit a little bit Hollywoodized.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A John Williams masterpiece, but for me it ranks behind other JW masterpieces like Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Raiders, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, and even A.I....

Jaws ranks behind Jaws?

Whoops! Strike the second Jaws. :)

A John Williams masterpiece, but for me it ranks behind other JW masterpieces like Star Wars, E.T., Raiders, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, and even A.I....

I agree with you, Josh500. JAWS is really a great score but I think the scores you are listed are better than JAWS, besides A.I..

A.I. is also a good score but it is definitely not better than JAWS.

Name one movie over 30 years old that is NOT dated in some way.

Well, in my opinion, it is actually the new stuff that is dated. Anything timeless has become outdated, because it is not "now" enough and has been deemed in need of a modernized remake. So JAWS is not actually dated, but almost everything coming out this summer is.

My understanding of "dated" is that the film is characteristic of the time in which it was made in the past. How are films this summer dated? They might be 30 years from now, or hell even 1 year from now if James Cameron does what he says he will.

Jaws is the beginning of John Williams as we know it. The beginning of the success story. Yes John had written some good, even excellent music before. He'd even worked with Spielberg before. but Jaws is the first time everything clicked.

The lighthearted adventure music for a thriller or horror movie wasn't really evident back then either. Even Spielberg didn't expect that Williams would come up with this type of 'mood', but he went along with it anyway. It surprised me too the first time I saw Jaws many years ago. Yes, it's dated but somehow I find it charming.

Alex

It helps Jaws in becoming more then just a horror film, or even a disaster movie (remember, Chuck Heston was asked for the role of Brody innitially).

The advenrurous music is one of the mane elements that makes Jaws such a wonderfull and thrilling picture even today.

Sea Attack Number One is one of my all time favorite pieces. The approach is somewhat outdated, but that says more about the times we live in than the music itself. More scary films could use this approach, where the sole purpose of the music is not just to serve up scares. Without contrast, there is no true darkness. Same can be said about Poltergeist. Without light, there is no dark.

The lighthearted adventure music for a thriller or horror movie wasn't really evident back then either. Even Spielberg didn't expect that Williams would come up with this type of 'mood', but he went along with it anyway. It surprised me too the first time I saw Jaws many years ago. Yes, it's dated but somehow I find it charming.

Alex

When I hear the term "dated", I think of redundant 80's Cold War action movies. There's really nothing about the seafaring music in Jaws that makes me go "how 1975 is that?!"