What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot Fuzz was a very interesting film, I think. It always seemed like something I would have to watch with my friends, though.

I really liked it. British sense of humour suits me very well.

Spy Game was highly forgettable. True Romance is good, but really Scott adds very little to it. I enjoyed reading the screenplay much more than the film itself. Still, it does have that one inarguably great scene.

Adorable main theme by Zimmer though, probably my favourite piece by him.

The main theme is really the only music, and it's an homage to Carl Orff. The whole movie is essentially Terrence Malick's Badlands.

Orff? Uhm... are we still talking about True Romance?

Hot Fuzz was a very interesting film, I think. It always seemed like something I would have to watch with my friends, though.

When my friend Kevin and I saw it at his place a couple of years ago when I visited him I thought it was pretty hilarious.

I was bored by it the first time. Had a good time the second time around, though. Just saw Mike Nichols' Catch-22. Much better than I thought it would be.

Spy Game was highly forgettable. True Romance is good, but really Scott adds very little to it. I enjoyed reading the screenplay much more than the film itself. Still, it does have that one inarguably great scene.

Adorable main theme by Zimmer though, probably my favourite piece by him.

The main theme is really the only music, and it's an homage to Carl Orff. The whole movie is essentially Terrence Malick's Badlands.

Orff? Uhm... are we still talking about True Romance?

Yes.

Today I also saw The Savages and watched Domino on DVD. The former was a nice little film with a couple of good performances, but it was rather forgettable. The latter is a pretty terrible movie that I enjoy watching for the tracked style and music.

True Romance is not half as good as Badlands? I don't recall Tarantino starring.

Correct, it is not. Tarantino may not physically star, but Clarence is basically Quentin.

I know everyone else hates it, but I love DOMINO.

Pirates Of The Carrabean: Not my kind of movie but I can understand why it's popular. Did I spot that one guy from The Office (UK)?!

Scarecrow: Al Pacino and Gene Hackman star in a film by Jerry Schatzberg (Panic In Needle Park) that can be best described as the sequel to Midnight Cowboy. It's a nice film, not as good as Midnight Cowboy, of course, but certainly worthwhile if you are a fan of Hackman or Pacino or if you like seventies movies. Gene Hackman, largely due to his part, dominates the whole film.

162734__scarecrow_l.jpg

Alex

Drag Me to Hell

Thoughts?

"Okay, score mixed way too low, score wasn't written by John Williams so clearly not that good. Hopefully the video game will have unreleased material."

:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Pirates Of The Carrabean: Not my kind of movie but I can understand why it's popular. Did I spot that one guy from The Office (UK)?!

Alex

Yes you did.

I preferred Shawn of the Dead over Hot Fuzz.

I find Hot Fuzz funnier. Even the gory bits were funnier than the gory bits in Shaun.

True Romance is not half as good as Badlands? I don't recall Tarantino starring.

Correct, it is not. Tarantino may not physically star, but Clarence is basically Quentin.

I know everyone else hates it, but I love DOMINO.

Ok that clears it, I was just confused. I agree that Badlands is much better, after all it is Terrence Malick.

As for Domino, I just find it hilarious, but it really isn't a good movie. The style, the music, and Christopher Walken make it enjoyable.

Deja Vu

The only Tony Scott film left that I own is True Romance.

The Pope Of Greenwich Village: When this came out in the '80s, I was impressed with the acting, but it's actually not very good.

4044982.jpg

Yes, kids, the guy with the leather jacket is The Wrestler.

Alex

1941 was horrific. Certainly Spielberg's worst project by a landslide.

no, its light years better than shit like AI, Always, Munich, Terminal, Hook.

Drag Me to Hell

Thoughts?

Excellent movie. It's very tongue-in-cheek. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Some film fans think it's one of the best horror/thrillers ever made. I'm definitely going to put it on my list of movies to see.

Alex

Terminator Salvation

After reading so many negative reviews I was prepared for a disaster. But it turned out not to be the case. The film has a lots of problems and it doesn't have much of a story. But still I didn't hate it. There are many people in this world who say the first Terminator movies are classics of sorts. For me, they were always stupid and mindless action movies. I enjoy them, sure, but I wouldn't say they're great achievements (not counting special effects, of course). So the new one was more of the same, only more and faster. And I think this is the most sensible way of seeing it. If anything, this film shouldn't have been made, for it doesn't tell anything new, really. But neither did the previous two, if you think about it. All you need to know is in the first Terminator movie. As it stands, I liked it more than the third one. That's for sure. It's a ride. But only if you don't over-intellectualize what's essentially an infantile series.

Bale didn't bother me, but I still wanted him to die at the end. He is so unlikeable character.

There is quite a bit of unreleased score, but I think the album is enough. It is sometimes mixed so low you can't hear most of it. Pity.

By the way this "abridged script" is hilarious. But, I guess, all this kinds of flaws are what I love Terminator movies for :lol:

Beware! Spoilers (for those who care):

HELENA BONHAM CARTER

Hello Sam. Thank you. You have lured Christian Bale here. Our plan all along was to release you, at which point you could earn his trust and tell him that his teenage father has been captured, causing him to attempt a rescue that we could anticipate and prevent!

SAM WORTHINGTON

Why not just kill his teenage father?

HELENA BONHAM CARTER

SAM WORTHINGTON

Did you seriously not think of this?

HELENA BONHAM CARTER

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Karol

The Taking Of Pelham 123 (Picture1-8.png)

From the very first minute of this movie, you know this is Tony Scott. For you it may be a bad thing, but I happen to believe filmmakers should be auteurs. What you see is what you get, and I liked it. John Travolta gives a good performance, despite what you see in the trailers. IMO it fits the character he's portraying. Washington is just his normal self, and the rest of the cast is rather unimportant.

Beware of Tony's signature prolonged horn. He's used it before in Man On Fire, Domino, and Deja Vu. But here, you get that in addition to train horns, which it really already is. So we have horns galore. You'll get slammed with them about 25 times in the opening titles alone, but then he eases up on them throughout the movie.

Gregson-Williams' score is effective in film, and thusly does its job. I still find it lacking on the listening experience, although it does have a few good cues.

Recommended if you've liked any of Tony Scott's films from True Romance until now. I haven't seen the original, but I really enjoyed this and thought it was something interesting in terms of hostage films.

I don't think Tony Scott is seen as an "auteur" but more as a handyman that uses the same techniques over and over again. The taking of Pelham 1 2 3 is not an "auteur film". Even though you can recognize the techniques of the craftsman, the work is still a typical product from the Hollywood factories.

Alex

I don't think Tony Scott is seen as an "auteur" but more as a handyman that uses the same techniques over and over again. The taking of Pelham 1 2 3 is not an "auteur film". Even though you can recognize the techniques of the craftsman, the work is still a typical product from the Hollywood factories.

Alex

To remake 'Pelham' seems just like a bad, bad idea...and Tony Scott at the helm just makes matters worse.

1941 was horrific. Certainly Spielberg's worst project by a landslide.

no, its light years better than shit like AI, Always, Munich, Terminal, Hook.

You never tire of saying that do you?

And the saddest thing is you really believe it.

For the People who have Watched Land of the Lost...I know the movie is bad, but are the effects any good?

I may go to the cinema if the dinosaurs are good enough...

Brian Helegand isn't a bad writer though so his involvement interests me

He's done some good stuff (though at the moment I can't think of anything beyond L.A. Confidential and Mystic River)...but he's nto enough to put my butt in the seat of the theater. I am still curious about the Director's cut of Payback, though after seeing the original Point Blank, I really lost interest. When Boorman is cooking, he's cooking, and that's an amazing film that should not have been remade.

True. I've read people who have said that even so, he is superior to Ridley's artifice. I of course, don't buy into it...but discounting his first three films (which Tony hasn't come close to in any way, shape, or form), it's an interesting case to make. The Tony Scott I like most is the one who pushes it to 11. Although Enemy of the state is my favorite film of his, I think the closest he's come to doing something unique is with something like Domino.

I've been on a pretty impressive run recently: 10 films in a row that I've liked, kinda loved, or really loved (including 2 new favorites).

I seem to recall posting about a couple of these, but I can't find it.

Catch-22 (1970). The Buck Henry-scripted, Mike Nichols-directed film version of Joseph Heller's extremely popular novel, starring Alan Arkin as Yosssrian. This was a big surprised. I was expecting something bloated and coarse and entirely dependant on the book. While it certainly is tied to the book, I was shocked by how much of its own thing it was. It's a good film. It works as a film. It has it's own dreamy feel that's different than the book's feel.Whenever it varies from the book, it feels right. Stunning shots, with amazing long takes, and a gung-ho cast. I loved just about all of them. Jon Voight and Art Garfunkel in particular surprised me, but Arkin really held the film together. He's a great Yosssrian. I loved Martin Balsam and Orson Welles (surprisingly into it) as well.

Bloody Sunday (2002). One of the ones I really loved. In fact, this and Midnight are the two films I've seen recently that became instant favorites. This is Paul Greengrass at his best. In fact, his films since seem like a marked digression. United 93 was praised for it's respectful and effective treatment of a tragedy (which I agreed with) The Bourne movies were praised for doing something transcendant and great with action in movies (which I don't really agree with). In fact, Greengress already incorporated both into this film, the richest, fullest, and most impactful of the three. I think it deserves to be mentioned with classics like Z and Battle of Algiers- two movies Greengrass obviously studied, and took things from. It is truely sad, but also acknowledges the adrenaline rush of violence. It's so rare that a film seems aware of both things, let alone one that tries to put them in the context of one another.

I was blown away by this film. I couldn't realy work it in...but James Nesbit is phenominal here. Plays it perfectly.

Jules & Jim (1961). Early Truffaut classic, probably his best known and most popular. I'd seen it once before, and didn't connect to it. It's interesting- when I saw it then it was way too fast and jumpy for me. Now, after getting to know the New Wave, and specifically Godard, this did not seem too fast at all. I actually really liked it this time around. Didn't love it, but I connected with the characters this time. Some terrific camera work, and a great Delerue theme, but it didn't seem to feel as alive as Breathless did. Still, I'm very glad I saw it, and I'm glad I came to some sort of grips with it.

Smiles of a Summer Night (1955). My second Bergman film. I was really surprised by this one, as well. I've been hesitating to get into Bergman because of how heavy his filsm could be. Apparantly, he's got a great light touch as well: A bubbly, sext, and funny romantic comedy, far more daring and open in it's sexuality than American comedies of the era. Woody Allen took the concept for A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (total dud, though I loved Jose Ferrer)- two wealthy couples on a weekend getaway to a mansion in the country. Lot's of partner swapping goes on. I quite liked it. There's one actress in it who's breathtakingly beautiful.

The Spider's Stratagem (1969). Early Bertollucci. I actually liked it more than The Conformist. A fascinating film about a young Italian man coming to the town where his father was killed during WWII. As he tries t ofind out what really happened, the film turns into a movie about the nature of story-telling. I love these kinds of movies, and this one is particularly elegant in it's design and presentation. I need to check out more Bertollucci. Maybe his epic-length 1900?

And lastly, Akira Korusawa's Ran (1985). Epic film with some similarities to King Lear.... old king wants to cede his power over to his children while he's still alive. His three sons distrust each other and fight it out. It's quite touching, to see this film in context of Kagemusha, another late Kurosawa film set in a similar era about an old king (well, an old pretender). It's a beautiful film made by on old man. I do not, however, think that it's an unqualified success. It takes a while to get going, and the cumulative power is never quite as much as I hoped it would be. But it's a stirring piece, with beautiful imagery, an evocative Takemitsu score, and a damn good story to tell.

I liked Bloody Sunday but it didn't leave a lasting impression on me, other than some shots I really liked.

I need to see Catch-22

Sorry, no idea what you're referring to. Sports, perhaps?

EDIT: Scratch that, just got it.

I liked Bloody Sunday but it didn't leave a lasting impression on me, other than some shots I really liked.

After being ambivilant on Greengrass on Bourne, and impressed without fully understand why on Untied 93, I liked seeing a film that made perfect sense in that context. It made those other three films click into place for me. But that's peripheral. I really loved the film. There's a scene in the hospital late in the film that got me teary-eyed, the first time that's happened in a very long time. It felt pitch-perfect. It even picked the best live version of U2's song for the end credits (and that song sounds great in every version).

I need to see Catch-22

I forgot to mention- the otherwise bare-bones DVD features a Nichols/Soderbergh commentary. Soderbergh is great at guiding the conversation, and asks some great questions. Nichols is a good talker as well. Very informative and entertaining.

Star Trek.

Dave wanted to see it again, and we went.

Its a frustrating film, very hard to not like and yet its so poorly conceived, its irratating, and its clear that Abrams has no understanding of how music and film work together, otherwise he would have hired someone decent.

yes I do, John Williams, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Howard Shore, Christopher Young(sometimes).