What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Interesting, Richy. I agree and appreciate that the music is supposed to represent Jim's euphoria, but I think Williams just gets a bit too carried away. As I said earlier, my main nit-pick is the shots of Nigel Havers bounding up the stairs - the music here is too busy and awfully loud, and worstly; distracting - the illusion falls apart. Bad direction, or misjudged film scoring?

The music which builds the sequence and the full on symphonic payoff as the explosion fills the screen all work brilliantly well; it's just the moments after that which take me out of the movie. John Williams absolutely giving it death is an unassailable force of nature; against which the story - the things happening on screen, never stood a chance.

Just a minor few seconds to complain about, but they never fail to slightly lessen the impact of the sequence as a whole. What the music is trying or supposed to be doing matters very little, when it's abruptly just reminded me that I'm sat in the theatre, watching a movie.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a minor few seconds to complain about, but they never fail to slightly lessen the impact of the sequence as a whole. What the music is trying or supposed to be doing matters very little, when it's abruptly just reminded me that I'm sat in the theatre, watching a movie.

It's seconds of a 2,5-hour movie. It never bugged me as much as the 'You are the Pan'-sequence, which for me is one of the worst offenders in Spielbergs' oeuvre.

What i always liked about EOTS is when Williams employed those faint piano sounds which haunt Jim throughout the movie, as faraway reminder of his earlier childhood in his proper british home. And the SUO GAN piece, while not by Williams, was always a favourite of mine.

I love the Empire of the Sun score and I love Hook's too, but during their movie's they don't always sound as good and effective as they do on the albums. Also agree about You are the Pan.

The music which builds the sequence and the full on symphonic payoff as the explosion fills the screen all work brilliantly well

Actually, I've changed my mind: I think the music from the moment the hanger explodes onwards is complete overkill. The sweeping strings, the epic choir, the rousing percussion; John Williams over did it - lessening the impact of an otherwise superb moment in the film.

What i always liked about EOTS is when Williams employed those faint piano sounds which haunt Jim throughout the movie, as faraway reminder of his earlier childhood in his proper british home.

Good observation! There are more (visual) elements in the film that subtly tell us Jim is still a boy seperated from his home and family. In the prison camp, he recreates his parents through Dr. Rawlins and Mrs. Victor by superimposing upon them the same mannerisms. Jim even keeps a photo of a painting found in a Life magazine next to his bed that reminds him of his mother and father. The painting resembles an image seen earlier in the film when his parents put him into bed. A lot of things are dealt with visually rather than through dialogue.

Regarding the music: yes, it's overblown, buy that's how Jim sees the situation. In that context, it serves him, and the film well.

There, you get it.

It never bugged me as much as the 'You are the Pan'-sequence, which for me is one of the worst offenders in Spielbergs' oeuvre.

Agreed. Hearing that moment in the film, it was just facepalm-worthy. So ridiculously melodramatic. Then I heard it on album a few years later, and even though I recognized it as being the exact same music, it blew me away because I could listen to it on its own terms. It just fails when tied to the film.

The movie, or score?

I loved the movie in my teens, but apart from Hoffman, a miscast, though admirable Williams, Hoskins and some GORGEOUS London interior/exterior sets and JW, of course; the film is pretty awful.

It never bugged me as much as the 'You are the Pan'-sequence, which for me is one of the worst offenders in Spielbergs' oeuvre.

Agreed. Hearing that moment in the film, it was just facepalm-worthy. So ridiculously melodramatic. Then I heard it on album a few years later, and even though I recognized it as being the exact same music, it blew me away because I could listen to it on its own terms. It just fails when tied to the film.

I think we may be victims of our own era. Melodrama used to be much more prevalent and less offensive to the viewer. Watch any movie from the 30s, for instance. The sequence in "Annie" when they go to the movies comes to mind.

When I watch the "You are the Pan" sequence by myself, it is quite effective. It's only when I watch it with others that I remember I live in 2010 and that we don't do melodrama anymore - then I realize how cheesy it is. I'm not sure what caused that shift, but nevertheless, it happened. That's why a movie like "The Sound of Music" could never be made today. It works as a classic, but we can't take modern people seriously when they behave that way.

I actually have a penchant for syrupy melodrama, in a certain breed of movie. It's surprisingly a lot more difficult to get just right than one might think. There's a very fine line to be found between heartwarming sentimentality and all out cringe material. Spielberg usually gets it bang on the money.

Does that mean you are looking forward to War Horse (2011)? A person I know said that the only thing she liked in the stage production she saw were the horse-puppets. I'm not seeing much to be excited about, save for the talented people involved (it sounds like the boring second half of The Black Stallion, as opposed to the magnificent first half).

My film professor said War Horse was the greatest play he's ever seen. I then told him Spielberg was adapting it, and he said that the play could never be turned into a movie effectively. He also mentioned the horse puppets and how effective they were.

I honestly haven't a clue what War Horse is. I've heard Spielberg's supposed to be doing it, but up until it was announced I'd never heard of it. I haven't since researched it either, having fallen out of love with him in the last few years. His movies don't excite me anymore, but I've not given up on him; indeed I'd love him to make an unanticipated movie and blow me away.

WAR HORSE could have been a tremendous Spielberg movie anno 1980. Spielberg directing in 2011, it sounds more like 'reliable old pro Dick Donner directs filmic version of successful stageplay'. But it could sport a great score, no questio.

Finally got round to seeing Shutter Island tonight. Just remind me - why don't people like it around here? I thought it was pretty good. I need to sleep on it, but glaring flaws aside; I was fairly satisfied, come the annoyingly ambiguous yet mostly worthwhile ending.

I'll have probably forgotten about it by this time next week, but on the whole I did enjoy it.

American Graffiti

Another rare George Lucas movie pre-90s that is focused on actual humans. Mind is blown. What happened to this guy?

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/natureofthebeast1.html

... a miscast, though admirable Williams...

For a second I thought you meant the other one. :folder:

Interesting, Richy. I agree and appreciate that the music is supposed to represent Jim's euphoria, but I think Williams just gets a bit too carried away. As I said earlier, my main nit-pick is the shots of Nigel Havers bounding up the stairs - the music here is too busy and awfully loud, and worstly; distracting - the illusion falls apart. Bad direction, or misjudged film scoring?

The music which builds the sequence and the full on symphonic payoff as the explosion fills the screen all work brilliantly well; it's just the moments after that which take me out of the movie. John Williams absolutely giving it death is an unassailable force of nature; against which the story - the things happening on screen, never stood a chance.

"Richy"? You've been watching too much baseball. On second thoughts; better get used to it. :P

Saw The Other Guys. Very funny ("You learned how to dance like that...sarcastically?"), and surprisingly successful as a satire. Good performances by all involved. I think Brion's score was good, but, strangely, the volume in the theater was a bit too low (something that made the movie seem a bit clunkier than I suspect it really is).

Saw The Other Guys. Very funny ("You learned how to dance like that...sarcastically?"), and surprisingly successful as a satire. Good performances by all involved. I think Brion's score was good, but, strangely, the volume in the theater was a bit too low (something that made the movie seem a bit clunkier than I suspect it really is).

I thought 3/4 of it were funny but it totally fell apart in the last half hour with the horrible action sequences.

That still makes it worth seeing as awhole

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde

While moderately entertaining, I can't say this was one of my favorite Hammer films. But it must be said that the physical resemblance between Ralph Bates and Martine Beswick is eerie and uncanny.

jekyll.gif