What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Star Trek.

Dave wanted to see it again, and we went.

Its a frustrating film, very hard to not like and yet its so poorly conceived, its irratating, and its clear that Abrams has no understanding of how music and film work together, otherwise he would have hired someone decent.

Say what you want about Giacchino, but there's just no flippin' way he's less than decent.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek.

Its a frustrating film, very hard to not like and yet its so poorly conceived, its irratating, and its clear that Abrams has no understanding of how music and film work together, otherwise he would have hired someone decent.

DAMN HIM!

Star Trek.

DAMN HIM!

That's mean. :P

Into the Wild

Most impressive.

I agree although I don't know if it can stand repeat viewing (Is it as bulletproof as No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood?). It's also a shame the film is somewhat injured by the Eddie Vedder interludes.

Alex

Genova

A nice film from Michael Winterbottom. with strong performances. It was probably a tod too long. Not much happening in it, but a nice character study nontheless.

Karol

yes I do, John Williams, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Howard Shore, Christopher Young(sometimes).

He said "modern" composers. Not these tired, old and worn out artisans who write the music autonomously.

James Horner

;)

I agree although I don't know if it can stand repeat viewing (Is it as bulletproof as No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood?). It's also a shame the film is somewhat injured by the Eddie Vedder interludes.

I thought the songs are great and work very well in the film.

'C'est la Vie'.....a splendid french family dramedy from 2008, partly impressionistic, presenting it's family story in form of 5 little vignettes, one for every family member. It's a very charming film with the amount of spontaneity and almost improvisational aura i have come to expect from modern french cinema. There are family feuds and reunions, fears and surpirses and some really great sight gags on the way (i. e. a sequence where the mother fails her driving test because of a squirrel which only can be saved by abrupt braking, leading to the opposite behaviour in the next test, which of course culminates with the merciless rundown of a dog - it's cruel but oh-so human).

What weighs it down a bit is the accumulation of sad incidences in the last half. We know sad stuff happens but we don't want to see it happen to other people and having to pay for it. As film music fan i also objected to the director plastering this section of the film with indie rock. If you only have a faint memory what a Delerue could bringt to such scenes, it's just sad that no effort was made to raise this stuff out of youth culture, stylistically.

Into the Wild

Most impressive.

Alex

It's one of my favorite modern films, although it's too self-indulgent in some parts. And the fact that Eddie Vedder was the one behind the song cycle instead of John Darnielle is one of the biggest crimes of 2007. Otherwise, a very, very impressive achievement.

As film music fan i also objected to the director plastering this section of the film with indie rock. If you only have a faint memory what a Delerue could bringt to such scenes, it's just sad that no effort was made to raise this stuff out of youth culture, stylistically.

C'est la vie.

Star Trek.

It's an amazing film with a great score. ;)

Me too. Why should it have been John Darnielle instead of Vedder?

Up

Was great! Not the "best Pixar movie ever" that some are saying, but I enjoyed it throughout. Carl and Elli's love story was heartbreaking

The Hangover

Was very funny! Not some huge revelation in comedy like some are saying, but it was certainly enjoyable. Zack Galifianakis was the best part. Some of the plot details are kind of weak if you think about them too much, but enjoying the movie for what it is its a fun time

Terminator Salvation

Decent flick. Not the huge pile of shit that most people are saying, but certainly not great either. It was just kind of .... there. Some of the action scenes were pretty good, but if you put ANY deep thought into the plot and motivations of characters and especially Skynet, the whole thing really makes no sense. I dunno.

One thing I really don't get is: In T1 and T2, all the future scenes had lasers from both the Terminators / Hunter-Killers and the human resistance. But in this movie it was all old-school bullets. What was up with that? And why did John Connor say "her tapes say nothing about organic machines"......... what? Does he not remember the events of T2 and T3 or something??

One thing I really don't get is: In T1 and T2, all the future scenes had lasers from both the Terminators / Hunter-Killers and the human resistance. But in this movie it was all old-school bullets.

This movie is supposed to take place in 2018 while the future scenes in the first two Terminator movies take place in 2029, where I guess they have invented plasma rifles.

Grosse Point Blank

One of my favorite John Cusack films. Being John Malkovich and High Fidelity are up there with this one.

Great movie. Not a huge fan of BJM, but HF is brilliant.

I watched T2 last night, well, most of it. God, Edward Furlong really strangles the movie in places. But some of it is still great. It's just a bit Hollywood OTT for me.

Grosse Point Blank

One of my favorite John Cusack films. Being John Malkovich and High Fidelity are up there with this one.

Yes GPB is terrific!

Dan Aykroyd & Joan Cusack are both crucial to the brilliance of the film as is the 80's soundtrack. Love it!

Into the Wild

Most impressive.

Alex

It's one of my favorite modern films, although it's too self-indulgent in some parts. And the fact that Eddie Vedder was the one behind the song cycle instead of John Darnielle is one of the biggest crimes of 2007. Otherwise, a very, very impressive achievement.

I don't know Darnielle (was he Penn's first choice perhaps?) but I don't like Eddie Vedder's voice and songs. Plus the emotion of bringing those 'emotional' songs together with the nature vistas is somewhat easy and schmaltzy. Remember Joan Baez in Silent Running? But other than that, it's one of my favorite movies of the last few years too. However, I've only seen it once. It grabbed me on the first occasion and I find that worrying because none of my favorite movies grabbed me on the first occasion.

Alex

I need to see this movie, just for Eddie Vedder's songs.

Better buy the soundtrack then because they are the weakest element in the film.

Alex

I need to see this movie, just for Eddie Vedder's songs.

Better buy the soundtrack then because they are the weakest element in the film.

Alex

You seem predisposed to not like Eddie Vedder anyway, so it sounds like they wouldn't have made much difference where they were.

I don't know Darnielle (was he Penn's first choice perhaps?) but I don't like Eddie Vedder's voice and songs. Plus the emotion of bringing those 'emotional' songs together with the nature vistas is somewhat easy and schmaltzy. Remember Joan Baez in Silent Running? But other than that, it's one of my favorite movies of the last few years too. However, I've only seen it once. It grabbed me on the first occasion and I find that worrying because none of my favorite movies grabbed me on the first occasion.

Alex

I love Silent Running and the first time I watched it the Joan Baez songs did seem out of place yes, however after repeated viewings they actually lend themselves rather well to the overall ambience of the movie.

The film is really good so I forgave Penn for using Eddie Vedder. You should definitely see it! It's a much more fulfulling experience than, let's say, Terminator Salvation.

Alex

I love Silent Running and the first time I watched it the Joan Baez songs did seem out of place yes, however after repeated viewings they actually lend themselves rather well to the overall ambience of the movie.

Oh, but I've seen Silent Running many times. You know, I'm amazed that someone responds with an opposite opinion so soon. You really like the Joan Baez songs in that film? :thumbup: Is it because of the cheese factor?

The film is really good so I forgave Penn for using Eddie Vedder. You should definitely see it! It's a much more fulfulling experience than, let's say, Terminator Salvation.

I will. I'm not really interested in SALVATION any more.

Oh, but I've seen Silent Running many times. You know, I'm amazed that someone responds with an opposite opinion so soon. You really like the Joan Baez songs in that film? :thumbup:

Yes I think they work with the film, i've never attempted to listen to them away from it admittedly. The film has aged quite well don't you think? There's a lovely remastered pristine HD print that Sky Movies show now and again. :lol:

Oh, but I've seen Silent Running many times. You know, I'm amazed that someone responds with an opposite opinion so soon. You really like the Joan Baez songs in that film? :thumbup:

Yes I think they work with the film, i've never attempted to listen to them away from it admittedly. The film has aged quite well don't you think? There's a lovely remastered pristine HD print that Sky Movies show now and again. :lol:

Well, the last time I saw Silent Running, I felt it was a bit dated due to the Joan Baez songs and the sometimes obvious ecological preaching the film does about issues we are now very familiar with. Of course, at the time, these themes were new and somewhat alarming. The robots looked kinda funny too.

silent-running-garden-robots.jpg

Don't they look like giant Polaroid cameras?

Alex

:thumbup: I Know don't they?! That's the beauty of the film though, it could've been utterly naff and corny but comes off as totally charming.

He was not Penn's first choice -- it's a personal opinion that he should have written the music. You would like him, Alex. He's a purist folk composer and singer known for recording limited-edition cassette-only EPs on his boombox and playing deliriously cathartic solo acoustic shows to his ever-growing rabid cult. His barebones style is also known for more emotional straightforwardness (so I disagree with you to an extent), but he's also famous for his "travelling through America" songs (describing the Americana sights with painful realism and from an usually god-like point-of-view reflecting about humanity). He began releasing studio CDs of his band The Mountain Goats in the late 90s, so I think that he would have suited Into the Wild perfectly, and would've made better use of the prominent voice given to the songs.

Not that I don't like Vedder (I mean, we still got "Society"), but I felt he was too easy, too pop-y and sometimes too happy ("Hard Sun") for the movie. I needed real folk (just as the script relies of folk mythology towards the end to make its points). Wish Youtube had some decent clips of Darnielle to show what I mean.

Not that I don't like Vedder (I mean, we still got "Society"), but I felt he was too easy, too pop-y and sometimes too happy ("Hard Sun") for the movie.

Personally, I would've picked Bon Iver for the songs. Do you know him, Ross? He's definitely not happy sounding. Of course, he's propably not going to appeal to a large audience.

Songs in film or just songs in general?

Well, vocal proponents of traditional film scoring tend to be skeptical that an aptly selected (or composed) song can be as powerful as a section of original score.

Aw, your DVD Player is broken, Marc? That is a shame, how long have you had it?

Several years. I suspect it's merely run out. It's been used almost daily and was making some rather suspect sounds last week. It now fails to recognize any of my discs. I suspect some drive unit inside the actual reader is broken. I'm going to see if I can get it fixed, but I probably won't have time to do so until after the weekend.

Broken DVD player? Sounds like a sign to upgrade to Blu.

I would, if I had the money. For starters, I'd have to upgrade my TV as well.

but I don't like Eddie Vedder's voice and songs.

Can't argue with that. I like both. ;)

Plus the emotion of bringing those 'emotional' songs together with the nature vistas is somewhat easy and schmaltzy.

That's what I was afraid of when I realised it would have a song score, but I was completely convinced by it.