What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking of Perlham123

Movies don't get more mediocre than that.

I can't decide which Sandra Bullock romcom trailer is more cringeworthy..the one with Ryan Reynolds("it's the morning") or the one with whatsisname from The Hangover

I have a biased negative opinion of the film because of the conditions under which I saw it. I've seen it on TV recently, I should check if it's available On Demand and give it another shot.

If you do so, make sure it's Blu-ray! :devil:

I just saw Up. The first half was really great. The montage with Carl and his wife was absolutely beautiful, and Giacchino's music really worked. The second half of the film was a bit unbelievable, but still great fun, with some truly special moments. Really great work. I'll probably be getting the score soon. Oh, and the short was delightful. I said this when I saw Wall E also, but I think this was my favorite Pixar short thus far.

I have a biased negative opinion of the film because of the conditions under which I saw it. I've seen it on TV recently, I should check if it's available On Demand and give it another shot.

If you do so, make sure it's Blu-ray! ;)

:devil:

I just saw Up. The first half was really great. The montage with Carl and his wife was absolutely beautiful, and Giacchino's music really worked. The second half of the film was a bit unbelievable, but still great fun, with some truly special moments. Really great work. I'll probably be getting the score soon. Oh, and the short was delightful. I said this when I saw Wall E also, but I think this was my favorite Pixar short thus far.

Agreed. I really liked that montage as well and also thought the second half was a turn for the worse.

I can certainly see how. To me, it was similar to E.T. in that either the sometimes unabashed sentimentality works for you or it does not; I would say that it worked for me.

Speaking of E.T., I watched that after Forrest Gump. Someday I will be able to make it to the end credits without weeping. Someday. (By the way, how totally awesome is that closing shot of Elliot with- I have been studying my music theory recently, let us see if my studies are paying off- those repeating fourths, C and G, if I recall, on the timpani? Cinematic platinum.)

I can certainly see how. To me, it was similar to E.T. in that either the sometimes unabashed sentimentality works for you or it does not; I would say that it worked for me.

Speaking of E.T., I watched that after Forrest Gump. Someday I will be able to make it to the end credits without weeping. Someday. (By the way, how totally awesome is that closing shot of Elliot with- I have been studying my music theory recently, let us see if my studies are paying off- those repeating fourths, C and G, if I recall, on the timpani? Cinematic platinum.)

Clark, I can barely listen to Adventures on Earth without getting teary. That film - and score - have such an incredible effect on me.

My issue with FORREST GUMP is the way Jenny's character plays out. She speaks out against things, she has a free spirit, and she ends up dying of AIDS. That just smacks of a horrible Republican viewpoint, although I'm unsure whether that's from the book or the film.

Oh. Oooohhhh, wow, do I feel stupid! I was tending to some soup in the kitchen, so I suppose it is kind of excusable, but I did not make the connection of their late-night encounter with her conversation about the "virus". Hm...even then, I doubt her death was intended for any political message. To be honest, Charlie, I think you might be over-thinking that aspect (especially likely given Zemeckis' political affiliation).

Oh. Oooohhhh, wow, do I feel stupid! I was tending to some soup in the kitchen, so I suppose it is kind of excusable, but I did not make the connection of their late-night encounter with her conversation about the "virus". Hm...even then, I doubt her death was intended for any political message. To be honest, Charlie, I think you might be over-thinking that aspect (especially likely given Zemeckis' political affiliation).

It's certainly possible. I have heard others talk about it as well though. Who knows.

I think it's certainly valid to see the film as one that is square and one that encourages simplicity and mocks political activism. But I don't think that is necessarily what the film is. I see it as a very simple and moving love story. I think both are valid ways of looking at it. Though I probably would lean towards the critical side if I'd seen it recently for the first time (much like I quite possibly would have liked Slumdog Millionaire had I seen it way back when).

Into the Wild

Most impressive.

I agree although I don't know if it can stand repeat viewing (Is it as bulletproof as No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood?). It's also a shame the film is somewhat injured by the Eddie Vedder interludes.

Alex

I thought the songs are great and work very well in the film.

It's one of my favorite modern films, although it's too self-indulgent in some parts.

Yeah, but it kind of gets away with the self-indulgence because of its main character. It's hard to tell sometimes if the film is commenting on the guy or buying in to the misguided mysticism. But it handled the balance surprisingly well, I thought.

Saw a couple of Truffaut films for the first time. Mississippi Mermaid, which was weird in a good way. Belmondo and Deneuve. He is cool and relatable as always, she is just impossibly stunning. First half's going for Hitchcock (with a very Herrmann-esque Duhamel score), second half goes a bit nuts. But I liked it. Second one I saw was Farenheit 451. I'm on the supporters side. It had it's inexplicable plot points and some insincere intellectualism, but it feels genuinely impassioned. I'm not a big Julie Christie fan, but I liked the idea of her dual role. Werner is good. He's made so much better by that amazing score. Great cinematography by Nicholas Roeg, too. Beautiful closing.

Rented the Criterion DVD of The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1974). I was expecting a bit more from this one, but what's there is a very good low-key crime tale. A bit of a mismatch between the relatively glamerous and cunning bank-robbers and the rather pathetic efforts of Mitchum and Boyle...but the cumulative effect of the Mitchum scenes is quite moving.

Pickup on South Street

I watched the Criterion Collection of this film. It's my first Samuel Fuller film, and I liked it a lot.

I don't have much first-hand experience with film noir, but while this is--I think rightfully--considered film noir, it's got it's own thing going on, tonally. It may have to do with my identification of film noir with the '40s, but there's something about this one (the ending has been commented on as somewhat unique for the genre).

With the direction, cinematography, and set design, there's a really interesting vibe developed throughout, and this visual aspect shines on the DVD with fabulous picture quality. They did a terrific job with this transfer.

I really enjoyed Leigh Harline's score with its surprisingly jaunty, rhythmic main theme. I don't believe there's been a release, but I figure it would be my first Harline score album if they ever put it out.

The meat of the film is in the characters. Fuller takes three characters that would normally be unlikeable bit players at best--a pickpocket, an informant, and a seemingly loose woman running suspicious errands--and makes them the protagonists. In the included interview (fascinating; Fuller was a very colorful man), Fuller seemed to not be quite as concerned about some of their activities, but the film does not require one to be comfortable with the "jobs" of these people. Rather, it makes us empathize with them as people. The main players doing fine jobs, with Thelma Ritter stealing the show as Mo, the informant who aspires to get together enough money to be able to get buried in a nice cemetary. The scene in her room as she talks about how tired she is is heartbreaking, with a powerful ending.

The beginnings of the love story are pretty ridiculous, but fortunately the film makes up for it, and by the time we get to the climax, it works out well.

Fascinating characters, an interesting story, and a delicious atmosphere made this a great viewing. Recommended. 4.5/5

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Good lord it's worse than I remembered. This movie is fucking awful.

Somehow it's still my second favourite SW episode. Right after ESB.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Good lord it's worse than I remembered. This movie is fucking awful.

You found a kindred spirit in Jar Jar Binks and can't deal with it.

I found a retarded spirit in Jar Jar Binks and wanted to kill him.

Rhapsody in Blue.

Wonderful biopic about one of America's greatest composers, and I knew it was going to be good when I saw that it was Irving Rapper directing. I loved the foreshadowing of George Gershwin's musical destiny when his professor tells him that his talent and originality could give America its voice, which is entirely true that he helped revolutionize the American idiom with a unique musical identity.

I don't have a clue as to how much that's shown about his personal life if true or not, and I can't understand why the Gershwin estate supposedly wanted all copies of this film destroyed, but it shows him to be somewhat unlucky in love. The two main dames in his life are very different, but they end up being frightened of his talent and popularity. Alexis Smith's very artsy character just unexpectedly walks out on him for no reason, and he ends up ignoring Joan Leslie's more down-to-earth character until it's too late. As a melodrama, motivations are a bit hokey in this flick.

Overall, it was very entertaining.

Snakes On A Plane: So bad that it's almost watchable.

Independence Day: Compared to Emmerich's 10.000 BC, it's a masterpiece in its genre! All kidding aside, it's not bad but this movie just can't keep my interest. You know the saying, different strokes for different folks!

Alex

State of Play

I expected it to preach about how print journalism is the last bastion of truth, and boo online, but it wasn't too bad. Mirren's character seemed to be the most realistic of the bunch. Crowe was fine, Affleck I wasn't looking forward to but he was fine as well. It had me until the end where it just lost its momentum and the "villain" left no impact. Music was also a mixed bag.

I'd like to see the original.

Independence Day: Compared to Emmerich's 10.000 BC, it's a masterpiece in its genre! All kidding aside, it's not bad but this movie just can't keep my interest. You know the saying, different strokes for different folks!

Alex

I think it IS a masterpiece in its genre. If you accept it as a summer blockbuster movie about aliens invading and destroying Earth, it's preety good. None of the later Emmerich's movies even came close to the level of ID4, nor ever did similar Bay's movies.

Roland Emmerich is bloody awful. I suppose ID4 is his least cringe-worthy film, but it's still bad.

I love Stargate and Independence Day. Godzilla is mildly amusing, and for all its faults, I fondly remember looking forward to it. The Patriot is a decent remake of Braveheart, but I couldn't stand The Day After Tomorrow.

I forgot about The Patriot. How the hell did he end up directing that?

Yahoo Movies has an exclusive trailer for 2012, I may see that just because it looks insanely hilarious. It's like all of his movies combined in terms of disasters.

Finally watched Star Trek, it was great and very fun. The plot is overly complicated and somewhat confusing, but the way I see it, the movie is really about Spock and Kirk's frienship and there it succeds greatly. Probably more fun for long time ST fans, I had never seen any of the movies or TV episodes.

boy you sure don't know sh** about movies do you indy4.

Independence Day is far superior to Transformers or you're mediocre namesake.

It might be better than Transformers, I don't remember them well enough to compare. But nothing in KotCS is as unoriginal or boring as ID4.

nothing in KOTCS is original, and ID4 doesn't try to hide the fact that its inspired by every other invasion movie.

There is no moment in ID4 as bad as the refrigerator scene, which is indeed the worst scene in all of moviedom, of all time, ever in all forms of entertainment.I am taking that one a bit too far but someone here will go with it

I seem to recall a scene where Smith is trying to destroy this alien ship in some sort of canyon, and I recall it being similar to the Battle of Yavin from SW. Also, I remember near the end of the film there was a shot of all these airplanes that was almost identical to oen in SW of X-wings. It's hard for me to be more specific or to give more examples, as I haven't seen the film in a long time, but that's what I remember.

Which ones?

The underbelly of the Mothership gliding over the moon in ID4's opening scene is a very deliberate reference to the opening shot of Star Wars.

I'm not talking just about invasion movies--many scenes from ID4 were taken straight from Star Wars.

Thank God that Star Wars doesn't take anything straight from other movies...