Hollywood Strings Virtual Instrument

A24

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you guys use these samples (or other samples e.g. Garritan) on a Mac in combination with Finale?

I was at UC-Berkley a few months ago (during my absence from these boards) and I had an opportunity to see some of the research projects they were doing in music synthesis. All I know is, the composer himself will see a greatly diminished role in the future. There's technology that works like super-powerful actions in Photoshop. You can just about button-push musical scores. All you need is a basic melody. You define parameters, and boom it generates a dramatic underscore...lush sweeping music, heart-stopping action. It also locks up into infinite loops and crashes here and there, but...yeah. :D

All the more reason why most film music over the last 15 years rarely interests me and now looking ahead, will probably be absent from my collection, outside of Michael Giacchino.

Any of you guys use these samples (or other samples e.g. Garritan) on a Mac in combination with Finale?

I use Garritan samples with Finale in OS X. It's very effective for producing mockups, but it doesn't deliver professional results. You have to play the notes into a sequencer yourself; no amount of computerized nuance can compete with a real performance.

I find the Garritan samples to be very unimpressive, personally...well, the strings and piano are rather nice, but the brass, woodwinds, and percussion don't really do it for me. I only have Finale 2008, though.

I was at UC-Berkley a few months ago (during my absence from these boards) and I had an opportunity to see some of the research projects they were doing in music synthesis. All I know is, the composer himself will see a greatly diminished role in the future. There's technology that works like super-powerful actions in Photoshop. You can just about button-push musical scores. All you need is a basic melody. You define parameters, and boom it generates a dramatic underscore...lush sweeping music, heart-stopping action. It also locks up into infinite loops and crashes here and there, but...yeah. ;)

All the more reason why most film music over the last 15 years rarely interests me and now looking ahead, will probably be absent from my collection, outside of Michael Giacchino.

Well, It's not the samples' or the software's fault. it's how you use them.

I still write in pencil and paper in the piano in the old orchestral film music style, and in the end i just use the samples because i don't have a live orchestra.

The Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 has greatly improved their brass samples as they partenered with Project SAM known for their excellent brass samples in particular. I use GPO4 with Finale 2010 and get very good results. Not that it's gonna replace my VSL/Symphobia/EWQLSO /LASS set up any time soon.

Have you ever tried Wallander Instruments, Fiery? Their new playable demo lets you audition many instruments (brass and winds). The instruments aren't based upon samples but they are very 'controllable', especially when you have a wind controller. It's really fun to play with demo. You should try it!

Alex

• 9 years later...
9 minutes ago, Kühni said:

Question to the gallery (and apologies...this seemed as appropriate a thread to ask this as any...): is the following Thomas Bergersen composition even playable by Humans?

As someone who's not a string player, I'm going to speak with a certain amount of ignorance, but I'd venture to say those fast arpeggio type runs aren't the most wieldy, but not impossible.

What's more striking to me are the comments hailing it as a new masterpiece for the ages.