Sign in to follow this  
Henry Buck

LucasArts on Steam

I'll have to buy a joystick though. Gosh. Haven't owned one of those in years.

I've got two joysticks that I never used after buying a 3dfx Hammerhead gamepad back in 2001. It's got twin analog sticks and enough buttons to map for any of the X-Wing games to use, as well as all the emulators I tinker with.

You're playing XW with a gamepad?? I tried that once and found it impossible. Ok, my Thrustmaster joystick didn't have enough buttons to map all the keys I needed, and you need both hands for a gamepad, so that was the first problem... but also I found gamepads way too sensitive for this kind of game. A joystick is perfect, in my opinion. Plus you can twist it to spin your craft (in XWA at least)... I couldn't survive in a Corellian ship without it.

I never had a problem with this beauty: SV-262E_3.jpg

I love my Hammerhead FX SV-262. The left analog stick is the joystick, and I had the mappings down to a science.

It might also be because the first joystick I bought was a POS, and the second one was pretty much broken the day I bought it, and I just never returned it. That was also about ten years ago so *shrug*.

When I get all the drivers to my Win98 machine reinstalled, I'll revisit these games and see if it still holds true. I do remember Alt+Tabbing into the TIE Fighter editor, and disabling the lasers on the big capital ships on the tough missions, like Prelude to Endor and beyond.

I never had a problem with this beauty: SV-262E_3.jpg

I love my Hammerhead FX SV-262. The left analog stick is the joystick, and I had the mappings down to a science.

It might also be because the first joystick I bought was a POS, and the second one was pretty much broken the day I bought it, and I just never returned it. That was also about ten years ago so *shrug*.

When I get all the drivers to my Win98 machine reinstalled, I'll revisit these games and see if it still holds true. I do remember Alt+Tabbing into the TIE Fighter editor, and disabling the lasers on the big capital ships on the tough missions, like Prelude to Endor and beyond.

there was an unlimited ammo and invincibility options in the main menu...no need to alter the missions...

unless you wanted all the decals...

but as i tell you, TIE fighter has in the main menu one label that says: invicibility on/off. as well as unlimited warheads and laser power.

Much easier than using an unnoficial level editor to make the capital ships not to fire... ???

X-Wing also had it, but you could not advance the level. now thats a frustrating game...

Invincibility and unlimited ammo are far less satisfying. Beating the game fairly is the most satisfying and legitimate, but at least I can convince myself that Imperial saboteurs sneaked aboard the capital ships and shut down the lasers.

It's much harder to convince myself that I suddenly became God in command of a snub fighter, and that my weapons hold is a TARDIS of unlimited goodies.

It's much harder to convince myself that I suddenly became God in command of a snub fighter, and that my weapons hold is a TARDIS of unlimited goodies.

It's that hard to believe that as the protagonish of a star wars adventure, you are invincible? :)

BTW, Darth Vader's TIE defender was a God in command of a snubfighter...

BTW, Darth Vader's TIE defender was a God in command of a snubfighter...

You could think that based on his near miss at the Battle of Yavin, which almost left him for dead in his TIE Avenger. However, I do think you can destroy Vader's TIE (was it a Defender?) in that one awesome mission. I can't remember.

darth vader flew the avenger prototipe, the X1, at Yavin.

But in the mission(s) from TIE fighter that he flew as part of your squadron, he was in a TIE Defender.

And i think he was invulnerable there... because he did what he wanted since he didnt follow your orders. Now, the emperor's shuttle, that was a pussy ship.