Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maestro

Nicholas Hooper Interview

102 posts in this topic

I spoke with Nicholas Hooper yesterday (the interview got delayed), and I can assure all of you that he is a very humble and kind man.

He explained a little why he chose to take the series in a totally different musical direction. He testified of his admiration of John Williams. (I won't go into more detail, because I want everyone to subscribe to FSM Online!)

The one juicy tidbit, which I also mentioned in the interminable "Williams may score seventh Potter film" thread, is that Hooper is bowing out of the series altogether. He told me that the films have put too great a strain on his family life, and that he always thought that a certain composer "whose name I know well" should finish out the series, "since he started it."

Have fun with this news. And check out this month's issue of FSM for oodles and oodles of moi!

The one juicy tidbit, which I also mentioned in the interminable "Williams may score seventh Potter film" thread, is that Hooper is bowing out of the series altogether.

That's good news for us ;)

The one juicy tidbit, which I also mentioned in the interminable "Williams may score seventh Potter film" thread, is that Hooper is bowing out of the series altogether. He told me that the films have put too great a strain on his family life, and that he always thought that a certain composer "whose name I know well" should finish out the series, "since he started it."

Seriously, please don't joke about such things.

i feel bad a little... i hope his family problems resolve ;)

His family problems will be resolved... after we murder his family!

If this is true (and it adds up with the producers trying to get Williams back) and we're going to get two more Potter scores from Williams.

Woooohoooooooooooooooo!!!!

And if they don't manage to get him back... yay... we're at least going to get two scores by a real, film composer.

I will be the first to admit, I was certainly quite mistaken in believing it is VERY unlikely Williams will return for the final films.

NOW DAMN YOU TIN TIN!

I was guilty of that too. I guess we all underestimated how the producers felt about having him on the first three.

No, but I can assume they at least refer to the music Hooper composed, rather than aiming petty comments at the man himself.

Well I for one have been leveling my criticisms at the director/producers more than anything. I also called him Hooper Pooper but that wasn't going out of my way to attack him, it just sort of came out naturally and I found it amusing and somewhat apt.

Hooper Pooper? ;):lol:

I call him Hooperman.

I wonder... what has his family life got to do with this? Seriously?

Because he spends too much time working?? ;)

So now the only obstacle is schedule conflicts!

I am more convinced than ever now... John Williams will come back.

He would have scored 4 out of 7 movies then. :lol:

More like 3.8 of 8...

why 3.8?

Chamber of Secrets.

More like 3.8 of 8...

why 3.8?

Chamber of Secrets.

If he writes for two DH, it'll make 4,8.;)

More like 3.8 of 8...

why 3.8?

Chamber of Secrets.

Ahhh OK. Although WR didn't really write ANY new music.

But it still should be 4.8 of 8! (or 3.8 of 7)

Hooper struck me as a very humble, down-to-earth, "simple" kind of guy. Most of his professional life has consisted of writing small scores for "small" projects. Even for Harry Potter he didn't have to leave London.

Harry Potter represents the first (and only) giant, Hollywood scoring experience he's had, and I think it was quite hard on him (what with the time constraints, studio pressure, etc.). I got the impression that he'd be content just leading a quiet life in London from now on, without dabbling in mega blockbusters like this anymore.

I felt quite sympathetic towards the chap, really.

Hooper struck me as a very humble, down-to-earth, "simple" kind of guy.

This description also fits John Williams.

However, the similarity ends there. ;)

Hooper struck me as a very humble, down-to-earth, "simple" kind of guy. Most of his professional life has consisted of writing small scores for "small" projects. Even for Harry Potter he didn't have to leave London.

Harry Potter represents the first (and only) giant, Hollywood scoring experience he's had, and I think it was quite hard on him (what with the time constraints, studio pressure, etc.). I got the impression that he'd be content just leading a quiet life in London from now on, without dabbling in mega blockbusters like this anymore.

I felt quite sympathetic towards the chap, really.

That's probalby true. Well, I am sure most of RCP scoremakers are nice people too. I noticed that Ramin Djawadi is a very likeable guy, too bad I don't like his music.

I was guilty of that too. I guess we all underestimated how the producers felt about having him on the first three.

Not everybody. But yeah, most people did.