John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given Williams age and schedule, would members here be upset if Williams composed new themes and allowed another composer he's worked with; Williams Ross, Conrad Pope, to compose a score using Williams' new material?

Since Harvey will likely be out in late 2010, Williams would have to score Part I much earlier in the year (were he to do it). In that case, the second film should be no problem if Tintin is released in late 2011. This is speculation, mind you, but Spielberg's schedule may now make Williams scoring the first Deathly Hallows film more difficult.

Ted

Given Williams age and schedule, would members here be upset if Williams composed new themes and allowed another composer he's worked with; Williams Ross, Conrad Pope, to compose a score using Williams' new material?

that is my second option :)

Since Harvey will likely be out in late 2010, Williams would have to score Part I much earlier in the year (were he to do it). In that case, the second film should be no problem if Tintin is released in late 2011. This is speculation, mind you, but Spielberg's schedule may now make Williams scoring the first Deathly Hallows film more difficult.

Ted

Film - expected release date -- expected progress of Williams' scoring

Harvey - released October-December 2010. -- can complete the score May 2010-October 2010 (at least 5 months.)

Deathly Hallows 7 I - released November 19 2010. -- can complete the score August 2009-May 2010 (at least 9 months!)

Deathly Hallows 7 II - released July 15 2011. -- can complete the score May 2010-June 2011 (at least 11 months total, about 5 overlapping with Harvey -- at least 6 months!)

Tintin I - released December 23, 2011. -- already scored most, if not all, of Spielberg's pre-rendered cut. Will complete and record the score July-December 2011.

Not sure about his concert work or performance schedule, but this seems like a pretty relaxed schedule for Williams standards.

How about Christopher Lennertz? He's a protege of the late Basil Poledouris, and he said he'll be using the theme Basil wrote for the coming film "Bunyan and Babe" when he scores it. Depending on what he does with that score, he could prove to be able to do it. Time will tell.

What DH really needs is an album with various artists, like the girl from Hannah Montana singing Hedwig's theme.

How about Christopher Lennertz? He's a protege of the late Basil Poledouris, and he said he'll be using the theme Basil wrote for the coming film "Bunyan and Babe" when he scores it. Depending on what he does with that score, he could prove to be able to do it. Time will tell.

I like Lennertz and all, but a big fat definite NO. He can't handle anything too big, at least at this moment in his career. I think he should get better projects first, and stop scoring all the crappy ____ Movies. So far I've only liked his video game scores.

It's funny we keep doing this under different thread titles. I've lost track of how many times we keep listing composers other than Williams we would like to see score HP.

If not Williams then perhaps:

Bruce Broughton

William Ross

Rachel Portman

Alexandre Desplat

David Arnold

Good choices! And of course we have to add Conrad Pope to the list :lol:

I would add in John Neufeld also, although isn't really known as a feature film composer. Long-time Williams orchestrator John Neufeld has done wonderful orchestrations for Portman's The Joyluck Club, and of course for all Michael Convertino stuff (together with Conrad) (AND several Horner scores). Conrad Pope of course also is Desplat's orchestrator, which might be the reason we find Desplat's sound suitable for a Potter movie.

Hasn't Steve Bartek been Elfman's orchestrator since he pretty much started composing?

Yes, but not his only orchestrator. There's no rule that only one orchestrator can work on a score. Why, a dozen different orchestrators could contribute to the crafting of a score, as is often the case with -- never mind.

Yes! In fact, almost any composer currently working for the BBC. Except Rob Lane - was not impressed by what he came up with for Merlin.

But if they don't get Williams, I'm not keen on Doyle coming back. He left his mark on the series, but I don't think he's got the subtlety needed for the final chapter.

What about Joel McNeely or John Debney.

Murray Gold

No. Just... no.

Why not? He writes great themes and knows how to use them, and his rousing action music is just what the finale calls for and the exact opposite of all the dark broodiness that permiates HBP.

Anyone who doubts Murray Gold, listen to the three Doctor Who soundtracks. This is a man with immense talent - I'm sure he'd be scoring movies by now if he was interested in it.

I listened to one of them and couldn't stand it. Tried listening to it again yesterday actually, but it just sounded weak. Not a fan.

Do you mean from our descriptions, or are you comparing his music to Zimmer?

Ben foster, his orchestrator, has some RCP-ish moments in Torchwood, admittedly.

I listened to one of them and couldn't stand it. Tried listening to it again yesterday actually, but it just sounded weak. Not a fan.

What was wrong with it? Clearly different tastes at work.

As you may have read in the Tintin section, I said I was going to post here what Conrad Pope thinks of Williams returning to score DH. But I warn you, it's not a confirmation... Only a really nice statement:

"The series needs his genius"

That's it. But it's a great commentary if you ask me.

Oh that's weird. I thought the comment was supposed to be about the Tintin score/recording sessions or something. But yeah, "the series needs his genius" can be taken both ways lol so I'm happy to nod and move on... :P

Anyone who doubts Murray Gold, listen to the three Doctor Who soundtracks. This is a man with immense talent - I'm sure he'd be scoring movies by now if he was interested in it.

Exactly. Torchwood isn't much either.

Mark McKenzie is (or was?) an orchestrator of Danny Elfman's, am I correct?

Also Goldsmith, post-Courage.

Wasn't he a big Horner orchestrator? I know that Durango reminded of Horner.

I was under the impression that Williams would not do another Harry Potter because Miguel Andreas told me that he was unlikely to do another Harry Potter film, but I was pretty sure he would come back. That is why I had the poll and now it is locked. Miguel seems to know a whole lot more about John Williams than me, but I thought he would do another Harry Potter film. So he is doing Part 1 & 2 of the film? Sorry that I dont post a lot, but very busy.

Williams said he wants to, producers say they want him.. I fail to see the reason why he wouldn't do it?? (exept for the obvious schedule prob)

But I am readin Book 7 again right now, and it plays like movie in my head.. I can see the camera angles, I can hear them talk, hear the soundFx.. and I can hear the track: "The Seven Potters" in my head... just fantastic.. this book really needs Williams.

Someone needs to send David Heyman the quote from Conrad Pope (with some sort of preface that it's not because he's looking for extra work!)

Williams said he wants to, producers say they want him.. I fail to see the reason why he wouldn't do it?? (exept for the obvious schedule prob)

But I am readin Book 7 again right now, and it plays like movie in my head.. I can see the camera angles, I can hear them talk, hear the soundFx.. and I can hear the track: "The Seven Potters" in my head... just fantastic.. this book really needs Williams.

Actually, I remember was just about ready to get mother to curse the book with a Lamia. Keep the magic coming, Rowling, or I'll give you a tip you won't forget!!

I want proof that Johnny is doing the 7th movie and no Wiki please.

Well, there IS that soundbite from David Heyman that started this thread. But it's all contingent on whether Williams can fit it in and whether Yates wants him (even though Heyman does).