John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

Just consider this a possibility people, not an actual fact. NOTHING has been confirmed yet. Chances are we won't hear more concrete information whether or not Williams will score The Deathly Hallows (not that I care :P) until it gets closer to filming the movie.

The movie(s) is/are currently filming.

I think what he means to say later on, like close to the end of filming. I think we'll get concrete evidence of who will score DH either later on this year or early 2010 at the latest.

But I pray that if Williams doesn't score DH, then I hope Yates picks someone worthy of the post. I know some of you guys have heard of her, but Jane Antonia Cornish can compose a mean Williams-esque fantasy score like nobody's business. Anyone who's heard her superb work for De Fotables Sjaeles (or Island of Lost Souls) will know exactly what I'm referring to. Not to mention she's extremely cute.

Hooper's an all right composer, but I think Yates deserves a more fulfilling end for the Potter franchise musically.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I pray that if Williams doesn't score DH, then I hope Yates picks someone worthy of the post. I know some of you guys have heard of her, but Jane Antonia Cornish can compose a mean Williams-esque fantasy score like nobody's business. Anyone who's heard her superb work for De Fotables Sjaeles (or Island of Lost Souls) will know exactly what I'm referring to. Not to mention she's extremely cute.

Meh. There was quite a fervor when somebody pointed out Cornish a couple years ago. I think her compositions a very generic.

JW should be involved from early on, like Hans Zimmer :P But doesn't he like to have a somewhat final version of the film?

He scored the rough cut of Prisoner of Azkaban in March 2004. He actually worked with Cuaron during filming and composed "Something Wicked This Way Comes" for the Hogwarts choir to sing.

Are there any more in detail interviews, stories especially about the scoring process on Prisoner of Azkaban? Can you post any links if you know something on the net about it?

Well, there's no doubt Williams didn't score the final cut of PoA. Many of his music cues, like "Buckbeak's Flight," are edited down in the film.

Just consider this a possibility people, not an actual fact. NOTHING has been confirmed yet. Chances are we won't hear more concrete information whether or not Williams will score The Deathly Hallows (not that I care :P) until it gets closer to filming the movie.

No, I think we'll have official confirmation of a composer in the next two weeks. The movie has already started shooting, Trent!

I think they're just waiting for HBP to rake in about $500 mill. (so like I said within 2 weeks), then either JW will commit himself to the project . . . or not.

I think he meant that John Williams having "a go at" Emma Watson creates very unnerving mental images....

Hey, all I meant was a date. Don't you guys go reading into things now...

Hey, what are you? 12?

That's not funny, if it's a joke. If it isn't, it's inappropriate to say the least.

No, I think we'll have official confirmation of a composer in the next few weeks. The movie has already started shooting, Trent!

I think they're just waiting for HBP to rake in about $500 mill. (so like I said within 2 weeks), then either JW will commit himself to the project . . . or not.

I think he meant that John Williams having "a go at" Emma Watson creates very unnerving mental images....

Hey, all I meant was a date. Don't you guys go reading into things now...

Hey, what are you? 12?

That's not funny, if it's a joke. If it isn't, it's inappropriate to say the least.

That's not funny, that's not funny at all.

Who's read The Deathly Hallows and can come up with a generally logical score tracklist for 7 Part II?

We need to like come up with a 'concept album' if you will, explaining what themes John Williams would use, and how emotionally devastating it all will be, delineate the uplifting finale using all sorts of returning themes, post it on a website get a million pledges then send it to the producers and say:

"Harry Potter is all about imagination. Imagine this."

We could all each contribute an in-depth imaginary musical analysis for one track, so we get as much fan input and detail as possible (I'm happy to organize/edit.)

Ask Joe to put together a track list.

Otherwise, don't forget to shuffle tracks randomly, repeat material for the end credits and splice together some unrelated cues from seven reels apart.

It's the way JW rolls.

MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!

Part I:

1. Dark Lord Ascending and Avada Kedavra! (Hedwig’s Theme)

2. Grievances (Dumbledore’s Hymn)

3. The Chosen One (Harry’s Theme)

4. Dark Forces (Voldemort’s Theme)

5. The Raging War

6. The Seven Potters

7. Fallen Heroes

8. Ministry Uprising

9. The Master of Death

10. Horcruxes

11. Wedding Bells

12. Kreacher

13. Confrontation with Lupin

14. Return to the Ministry (featuring Professor Umbridge)

15. Ron’s Departure

16. Godric’s Hollow (featuring A Window to the Past)

17. Help from a Silver Doe and Destroying the Locket

18. Dark Times Ahead and End Credits (Part I)

Part II:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

2. The Lovegoods and The Hallows

3. Voldemort’s Lair

4. Here Lies a Free Elf

5. Ollivander’s Theory

6. Dungeons and Dragons

7. Albus Dumbledore

8. Grindelwald

9. Harry and Snape

10. Gathering Darkness

11. The Battle of Hogwarts

12. Castle Chase

13. The Prince’s Last Words

14. Snape’s Memories

15. Acceptance

16. Not Quite Death

17. The Boy Who Lived

18. Duel with the Dark Lord

19. Finale and End Credits (Part II)

20. Hedwig’s Theme (Reprise)

Wow, this is great!

Now, is it me, or does this look exactly like a Star Wars score if you took out the names Harry Potter, Dumbledore, etc?

I mean, "He is the Chosen One," "Raging War," etc.??? :P

BTW, I'm really curious as to whether JW would reuse any of the themes he created in the first 3 movies (except for Hedwig's Theme, of course).

Primarily any of the Harry's Themes, Double Trouble, Quidditch Fanfares, etc.

I'd think that the Escape from Malfoy Manor would be the end of Movie 1, with the Gringotts infiltration and Hogwarts battle making up Movie 2

It's all but been confirmed by Yates that Part I will end once the trio have been captured by Fenrir Greyback, before being carted off to Malfoy Manor. David Heyman gave an interview recently saying that Yates had already said too much regarding the split. Oh and just for interest's sake:

AGAIN, MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

1. Dark Lord Ascending and Avada Kedavra! (Hedwig’s Theme) (contains Hedwig's Theme, Dark Forces theme)

2. Grievances (Dumbledore’s Hymn) (new thematic material, with traces of Fawkes the Phoenix)

3. The Chosen One (Harry’s Theme) (new thematic material intertwined with Window to the Past and original Family theme)

4. Dark Forces (Voldemort’s Theme) (new material based around PS Voldemort/Tom Riddle theme, also represents Death Eaters)

5. The Raging War (new material: action piece accompanying a montage of the wizarding world at war)

6. The Seven Potters (new material: action piece for airborne fight with Death Eaters and Voldemort, contains Hedwig's theme (action version), Dark Forces theme)

7. Fallen Heroes (new material, quiet reflective piece for remembering Mad-Eye and Hedwig (might contain Hedwig's theme)

8. Ministry Uprising (new material for scene involving Voldemort's infiltration of the ministry, containing Dark Forces theme and a new Ministry motif)

9. The Master of Death (a haunting version of Hedwig's theme with Window to the Past and Deathly Hallows motif)

10. Horcruxes (contains a deconstructed Dark Forces theme)

11. Wedding Bells (a short, soft piece highlighting happiness within darkness)

12. Kreacher (a dark take on Dobby the House-Elf, with a new motif for Regulus (and Sirius) and Dark Forces theme)

13. Confrontation with Lupin (short piece featuring original Family theme on French Horn)

14. Return to the Ministry (accompanying the Ministry scenes, with refrences to Hooper's Umbridge theme and Williams' own Ministry motif (action styled))

15. Ron’s Departure (tension building piece, deconstructing the Family/Friendship theme from PS)

16. Godric’s Hollow (Full representation of Window to the Past, then Dark Forces development as Nagini attacks - nice, scary transition from Family theme to Voldemort's theme as Harry traces out the events of his parent's murders)

17. Help from a Silver Doe and Destroying the Locket (mainly new material, a new motif for the appearance of the Doe which is revealed in Part II to be the Prince's (Snape's) theme), then heroic fanfare of Friendship theme as Ron saves Harry)

18. Dark Times Ahead and End Credits (Part I) (Main statement of Friendship theme and Window to the Past as trio decide to stick together to the end, abruptly changing to Dark Forces theme as they are captured - ends on a depressing note. Into End Credits: Dark Forces theme, Window to the Past Reprise (Ministry motif intertwined), into action Hedwig's theme to original PS Hedwig's theme for conclusion.)

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Overture/Main Title for the second film: dark, haunting Hedwig's Theme with The Chosen One)

2. The Lovegoods and The Hallows (new material featuring Hallows theme and motif for Xenophilius Lovegood)

3. Voldemort’s Lair (new material for Malfoy Manor sequence, featuring Dark Forces theme and Bellatrix motif)

4. Here Lies a Free Elf (hymn-like reprise of Dobby the House-Elf)

5. Ollivander’s Theory (celesta Hedwig's theme reminding us of first encounter with Ollivander in PS, then new motif for the Elder Wand/Grindelwald)

6. Dungeons and Dragons (Gringott's action sequence, mainly new material with Bellatrix motif - refrain from Hedwig's theme and new flying theme at the end for Dragon escape)

7. Albus Dumbledore (reprise of Dumbledore's Hymn with darker undertones for Albus' secrets - maybe Hooper's In Noctem from HBP could appear)

8. Grindelwald (action sequence of Dumbledore's epic duel with Grindelwald, featuring new Elder Wand/Grindelwald motif and Dumbledore's theme - action styled)

9. Harry and Snape (The Sacking of Severus Snape scene, with Dark Forces interpolated with still unnamed Prince theme)

10. Gathering Darkness (Voldemort's forces conspiring outside the gates of Hogwarts, mainly a Dark Forces reprise on an epic scale with lots of choir and a statement of The Chosen One for the rebellion against Voldemort)

11. The Battle of Hogwarts (a ten-minute extravaganza of leitmotif accomplishment - everything gets a reprise: plenty of Dark Forces, action Hedwig's theme, the original Hogwarts theme, Chamber of Secrets, Dumbledore's theme, The Chosen One, The Prince's theme)

12. Castle Chase (individual battles amongst characters and destruction of final horcruxes, reprises of character motifs - Bellatrix, Horcruxes, Master of Death (Hallows motif))

13. The Prince’s Last Words (full statement of The Prince's theme, I'm thinking something like The Chairman's Waltz from Memoirs, tortured but poetic and Voldemort's theme as Snape is swiftly dealt with and a triumphant fanfare of the Elder Wand motif as Voldemort thinks he has won)

14. Snape’s Memories (restatement of The Prince's theme, more tortured than ever, then various appearances of both family themes and Harry's theme, intermingled with The Prince's theme as Harry realises who Snape is)

15. Acceptance (a hymn-like version of Harry's theme, soft and emotionally charged - I imagine nothing but music in this scene, everything else is silent as Harry walks towards the forest knowing what has to be done, surveying the dead)

16. Not Quite Death (Dumbledore's theme, Harry's theme and both family themes with Hedwig's theme at the end as Harry returns to earth)

17. The Boy Who Lived (Dark Forces theme as Voldemort announces his triumph, then the most heroic fanfare of Hedwig's theme as Harry reveals himself and the war continues, a brief statement of the Horcrux motif as Neville kills Nagini)

18. Duel with the Dark Lord (a musical duel between Voldemort's theme and Harry's theme - good versus evil, with Voldemort's theme eventually being overpowered by Harry's theme and finally Harry's theme in a blaze of brass glory)

19. Finale and End Credits (Part II) (Aftermath scene involving the family/friendship themes, Harry's theme, Hogwarts theme, then the Epilogue scene with the original PS Family theme and into the End Credits, with restatements of every major theme from both Deathly Hallows films - it should be monumental!)

20. Hedwig’s Theme (Reprise) (The original PS Hedwig's theme unaltered for nostalgic purposes)

That's the run down. It's fun to imagine!

Clearly, I've put a lot of thought into how I want these films to play out. I doubt Williams would even remember the secondary themes from PS and CoS, but thought I'd at least mention them. And I did conspicuously leave out Doyle's stuff.

Well, I figure those who haven't read the last book by now are not people who are likely to be interested in the books or the films anyway.

Well, I figure those who haven't read the last book by now are not people who are likely to be interested in the books or the films anyway.

Well, still I would put a SPOILER WARNING somewhere. :blink:

I've read all 7 more than once. I'm reading the 7th again now after re-reading the series from Book 1. I grew up with the books, having been there as they took off from Goblet of Fire onwards. It's been a big part of my youth, clearly.

I haven't read any, but I watched all the movies so far (however, I would have bothered in the first place, if it hadn't been for Williams in the first three)

That's a bit much of an assumption to make, as films and books are such different mediums. People may be completely turned off by JKR's writing style, but might love it when translated into the medium of film.

I'm not bothered myself as I have little interest, I was just thinking of others.

As a side note, I saw HBP today and believe it to be the best of the series so far. I'd call it the perfect Potter film if not for the bland, aimlessly meandering score. Sure, it fits the film fine, but it never really stands out. There's never a moment where you stop and think: oh wow that music is awesome, like Buckbeat's Flight.

Yeah, I see your point now and that's a big whoops from me! I should have realised some people not following the books would be following the films, thanks for the heads-up.

I've read all 7 book multiple times. And I went to the midgnight party for 5 and 7. Oh yeah.

I think they'll leave off Part I right after

they bury Dobby

, and they're waiting at Shell cottage with the hope of the Gringotts plan ahead.

Has anybody here read all 7 books? I'm curious.

I've read each book once, but, of the films, I've watched only the first and third in their entirety.

I'd love for the final film to end with the a huge, heroic, brassy blast of "Hedwigs Theme", finished with a huge drum beat. Then straight into the End Credits.

Similar to the end of Back To The Future: Part II, except without "The Old West" in between. :)

That'd be awesome. People would be leaving the Cinema thinking, "Wow, that music at the end was amazing!" :blink:

And I went to the midgnight party for 5 and 7.

Yeah, I went to the midnight release for the last two, good times. Our Hastings even gave us a neat sticker to put in the cover of the last book saying we were "one of the first to get the last".

Honestly, even if John Williams came back on auto-pilot, he would write something more engaging than what Hooper wrote for Deathly Hallows.

Honestly, even if John Williams came back on auto-pilot, he would write something more engaging than what Hooper wrote for Deathly Hallows.

What did Hooper write?

So did I. DH came out at 7am where I was, it was a lot of fun spending the night debating what was going to happen. It's hard to believe the 7th book is already in production.

To be honest, the music I heard in the department store elevator today sounded more exciting than the HBP score...

Sorry, I can't help it. :)

You mean Half Blood Prince, right? :blink:

Even if we just pasted all of JW's music from HP 1-3 into DH, it would sound better than what Hooper wrote for Half Blood Prince.

I'm sorry I meant..."would write for Deathly Hallows."

I was one of Nicholas Hooper's cheerleaders, saying, "Hey, let's see what he can do! He might knock our socks off!"

He did knock our socks off...in the same way that your socks would be knocked off if you were so bored with his music you decided to cut off your own feet for joy.

Yes, I was very eager to give him another chance, especially after hearing his own extension of Hedwig's Theme in "Ginny". Honestly, I don't mind the score all that much - there are some more action-oriented cues missing from the album and another full statement of Hedwig's Theme, but I think where he really dropped the ball was in "The Killing of Dumbledore", although after seeing the film it does suit the understated nature of the scene. I have the uncanny feeling that Yates does know what he's doing, despite the cold dread I felt for the remainder of the series after seeing Order of the Phoenix.

I hope Williams mixes orchestra with chorus for the grand battle scenes. That would be totally awesome.

Kinda like Battle of the Heroes and Duel With the Basilisk?

Has anybody here read all 7 books? I'm curious.

I have. I don't hate the movies or anything, but I definitely like the books a lot more. Williams' return would certainly make the gap a little narrower, though...

What did Hooper write?

Boring, meandering strings in short cues which go nowhere. Sure, Harry and Ginny get a half decent love theme which is somewhat pleasant but the final battle was scored with just low key percussion and directionless choir.

Fred Weasley's death

was underscored with electric guitar from Fireworks. In other words, shit.

Fred Weasley's death was underscored with electric guitar from Fireworks.

Good you tell this. I didn't know he was to die, so I won't have than unpleasant surprise in the theatre anymore.

I'm sorry. I figured the book has been out for 2 years now. Is there a generally agreed upon period after which the non-usage of spoiler tags can be no longer considered inappropriate?

I've read all the books, they are great. And much better than the movies

Well, movies 1 and 2 adapted the books fine, not leaving out anything too important. Movies 3, 4, and 5 all removed crucial information that could have been relayed in mere minutes, blows my mind to this day...

I'm sorry. I figured the book has been out for 2 years now. Is there a generally agreed upon period after which the non-usage of spoiler tags can be no longer considered inappropriate?

How about a few weeks at least after the release of the movie? Not sure why so many people presume anyone who sees the films must have read the books.

MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

1. Dark Lord Ascending and Avada Kedavra! (Hedwig’s Theme) (contains Hedwig's Theme, Dark Forces theme)

2. Grievances (Dumbledore’s Hymn) (new thematic material, with traces of Fawkes the Phoenix)

3. The Chosen One (Harry’s Theme) (new thematic material intertwined with Window to the Past and original Family theme)

4. Dark Forces (Voldemort’s Theme) (new material based around PS Voldemort/Tom Riddle theme, also represents Death Eaters)

5. The Raging War (new material: action piece accompanying a montage of the wizarding world at war)

6. The Seven Potters (new material: action piece for airborne fight with Death Eaters and Voldemort, contains Hedwig's theme (action version), Dark Forces theme)

7. Fallen Heroes (new material, quiet reflective piece for remembering Mad-Eye and Hedwig (might contain Hedwig's theme)

8. Ministry Uprising (new material for scene involving Voldemort's infiltration of the ministry, containing Dark Forces theme and a new Ministry motif)

9. The Master of Death (a haunting version of Hedwig's theme with Window to the Past and Deathly Hallows motif)

10. Horcruxes (contains a deconstructed Dark Forces theme)

11. Wedding Bells (a short, soft piece highlighting happiness within darkness)

12. Kreacher (a dark take on Dobby the House-Elf, with a new motif for Regulus (and Sirius) and Dark Forces theme)

13. Confrontation with Lupin (short piece featuring original Family theme on French Horn)

14. Return to the Ministry (accompanying the Ministry scenes, with refrences to Hooper's Umbridge theme and Williams' own Ministry motif (action styled))

15. Ron’s Departure (tension building piece, deconstructing the Family/Friendship theme from PS)

16. Godric’s Hollow (Full representation of Window to the Past, then Dark Forces development as Nagini attacks - nice, scary transition from Family theme to Voldemort's theme as Harry traces out the events of his parent's murders)

17. Help from a Silver Doe and Destroying the Locket (mainly new material, a new motif for the appearance of the Doe which is revealed in Part II to be the Prince's (Snape's) theme), then heroic fanfare of Friendship theme as Ron saves Harry)

18. Dark Times Ahead and End Credits (Part I) (Main statement of Friendship theme and Window to the Past as trio decide to stick together to the end, abruptly changing to Dark Forces theme as they are captured - ends on a depressing note. Into End Credits: Dark Forces theme, Window to the Past Reprise (Ministry motif intertwined), into action Hedwig's theme to original PS Hedwig's theme for conclusion.)

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Overture/Main Title for the second film: dark, haunting Hedwig's Theme with The Chosen One)

2. The Lovegoods and The Hallows (new material featuring Hallows theme and motif for Xenophilius Lovegood)

3. Voldemort’s Lair (new material for Malfoy Manor sequence, featuring Dark Forces theme and Bellatrix motif)

4. Here Lies a Free Elf (hymn-like reprise of Dobby the House-Elf)

5. Ollivander’s Theory (celesta Hedwig's theme reminding us of first encounter with Ollivander in PS, then new motif for the Elder Wand/Grindelwald)

6. Dungeons and Dragons (Gringott's action sequence, mainly new material with Bellatrix motif - refrain from Hedwig's theme and new flying theme at the end for Dragon escape)

7. Albus Dumbledore (reprise of Dumbledore's Hymn with darker undertones for Albus' secrets - maybe Hooper's In Noctem from HBP could appear)

8. Grindelwald (action sequence of Dumbledore's epic duel with Grindelwald, featuring new Elder Wand/Grindelwald motif and Dumbledore's theme - action styled)

9. Harry and Snape (The Sacking of Severus Snape scene, with Dark Forces interpolated with still unnamed Prince theme)

10. Gathering Darkness (Voldemort's forces conspiring outside the gates of Hogwarts, mainly a Dark Forces reprise on an epic scale with lots of choir and a statement of The Chosen One for the rebellion against Voldemort)

11. The Battle of Hogwarts (a ten-minute extravaganza of leitmotif accomplishment - everything gets a reprise: plenty of Dark Forces, action Hedwig's theme, the original Hogwarts theme, Chamber of Secrets, Dumbledore's theme, The Chosen One, The Prince's theme)

12. Castle Chase (individual battles amongst characters and destruction of final horcruxes, reprises of character motifs - Bellatrix, Horcruxes, Master of Death (Hallows motif))

13. The Prince’s Last Words (full statement of The Prince's theme, I'm thinking something like The Chairman's Waltz from Memoirs, tortured but poetic and Voldemort's theme as Snape is swiftly dealt with and a triumphant fanfare of the Elder Wand motif as Voldemort thinks he has won)

14. Snape’s Memories (restatement of The Prince's theme, more tortured than ever, then various appearances of both family themes and Harry's theme, intermingled with The Prince's theme as Harry realises who Snape is)

15. Acceptance (a hymn-like version of Harry's theme, soft and emotionally charged - I imagine nothing but music in this scene, everything else is silent as Harry walks towards the forest knowing what has to be done, surveying the dead)

16. Not Quite Death (Dumbledore's theme, Harry's theme and both family themes with Hedwig's theme at the end as Harry returns to earth)

17. The Boy Who Lived (Dark Forces theme as Voldemort announces his triumph, then the most heroic fanfare of Hedwig's theme as Harry reveals himself and the war continues, a brief statement of the Horcrux motif as Neville kills Nagini)

18. Duel with the Dark Lord (a musical duel between Voldemort's theme and Harry's theme - good versus evil, with Voldemort's theme eventually being overpowered by Harry's theme and finally Harry's theme in a blaze of brass glory)

19. Finale and End Credits (Part II) (Aftermath scene involving the family/friendship themes, Harry's theme, Hogwarts theme, then the Epilogue scene with the original PS Family theme and into the End Credits, with restatements of every major theme from both Deathly Hallows films - it should be monumental!)

20. Hedwig’s Theme (Reprise) (The original PS Hedwig's theme unaltered for nostalgic purposes)

That's the run down. It's fun to imagine!

Wow! Give me a while to pore over all of this! :):blink:

I agree, she's pretty good.

Just consider this a possibility people, not an actual fact. NOTHING has been confirmed yet. Chances are we won't hear more concrete information whether or not Williams will score The Deathly Hallows (not that I care :blink:) until it gets closer to filming the movie.

No, I think we'll have official confirmation of a composer in the next two weeks. The movie has already started shooting, Trent!

2 weeks? We'll probably find out during post-production, like Matt said.