Official Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince thread

MSM

Just saw it - very good! I had no sky-high expectations, as the direction Yates took with OOTP did not particularly excite me, and I categorically prefer the Harry Potter books over the Harry Potter movies. But I'd say this was among the best of the films. The acting was quite good, and the characters were developed nicely. The business with Draco was perhaps a little heavy-handed...I didn't need to be reminded every five minutes that this kid is up to no good. And some of the changes seemed utterly unnecessary, although not terribly offensive or damaging to the film. But on the whole, bravo. Before, I wasn't very happy about Yates staying on for the seventh installment, but I feel a lot better about it now. It was probably mostly the source material...OOTP is by far the worst of the seven books, if you ask me, and I do remember being impressed at how the film didn't accentuate all of its flaws. Perhaps I should have given Yates more credit from the beginning. I will say this, though...seeing an army of Gollums crawl out of the water elicited more laughter than horror from me, which was a little disappointing. The Inferi sounded more like realistic corpses to me in the book...but oh well.

As for the score...meh. I found almost nothing special in it whatsoever, but it was perfectly functional and not annoying in the slightest. I think it's safe to say I prefer Hooper's work in the series over Doyle's...what it lacks in enthusiasm and interestingness, it makes up for by also lacking the obnoxious bravado heard in much of Doyle's attempt. (Although I do quite enjoy some of the latter's score for GOF.)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't notice anything tracked, but there was certainly plenty of material that was closely related to stuff in OOTP. And yes...regrettably, I'd say that stuff constituted the highlights of the score. I haven't listened to the music outside of the film, though.

"Fireworks" didn't sound tracked to me - rerecorded almost verbatim, but not tracked. However, I could be entirely mistaken. Something made me think "Dumbledore's Army" was a rerecording, too, but I'm less sure about that one.

I am pretty sure the statement of hedwig's theme in weasley's house and then in the Hogwarts express (which are the same 30 seconds just copied and pasted) are tracked from Sorcerer Stone.. it sounds exactly like the first film.. just pasted in. I have seen the film twice and it's noticable

No, the statement in the Weasley house ("Ginny" on the soundtrack) is definitely a new recording. For some reason Hooper has the harp double the string and celeste line. It doesn't sound bad, just... strange. The entire performance was a bit bland as well, lacked the energy and magic of previous interpretations. The train music is different as well; it's a longer arrangement than the "Ginny" one.

Yeah, those definitely weren't tracked. Just arranged very, very similarly to the statements in SS and COS. Which I appreciated, mind you...it was nice to hear those moments, although I thought the "Ginny" statement was a dubious spotting choice. It got me thinking that it'd be fun if DH ended with a statement of Hedwig's theme. It'd be nice to close out the series with the theme that started it all, and I think it'd work just fine after some calmer, more pleasant music during the bulk of the epilogue.

Yeah, those definitely weren't tracked. Just arranged very, very similarly to the statements in SS and COS. Which I appreciated, mind you...it was nice to hear those moments, although I thought the "Ginny" statement was a dubious spotting choice. It got me thinking that it'd be fun if DH ended with a statement of Hedwig's theme. It'd be nice to close out the series with the theme that started it all, and I think it'd work just fine after some calmer, more pleasant music during the bulk of the epilogue.

I think the film has to end with "Leaving Hogwarts." As verbatim as possible. (Hedwig's theme could then round out the end credits, of course.)

I think the film has to end with "Leaving Hogwarts." As verbatim as possible. (Hedwig's theme could then round out the end credits, of course.)

Well, "Leaving Hogwarts" virtually ends with "Hedwig's Theme" anyway.

"Leaving Hogwarts" is my favourite cue from HP1. :D

I'd be fine with that, too, Henry. The final moments of that cue are especially treasured parts of my music collection. But I also think a more straightforward rendition of Hedwig's theme would lend a nice feel to it, just coming in at the very end as the train pulls away. Kind of like..."Here we go again!" As if there are many more adventures awaiting the kids.

Also...Dumbledore needs a theme for DH. It'd be a rare instance of a major character receiving postmortem leitmotivic treatment. Harry's doubts about Dumbledore - and the eventual redemption of the character - are pretty central to the story, I think. It'd be nice to have that encapsulated in some sort of repeated musical idea.

I was thinking of some possibilities for the ending, both film and music-wise.

This way - which would book-end things nicely - would be to have the Potter/Weasley families saying goodbye to their children in a similar feel to "Leaving Hogwarts" from PS, and identical music as the train pulls away from the station. The camera pans up to the late morning sun/sky and it's a nice fade-out to the end credits.

Alternatively, Albus Potter has his own snowy white owl called Hedwig who he lets out before bording the train so she can find her own way to Hogwarts. A verbatim statement of Hedwig's Theme from the flighty string/celeste/winds part plays while the camera follows this new owl into the sky, signalling the end of one adventure and the start of another (not that I'm encouraging sequels, but it's a nice thought that this universe continues).

I've been listening to the samples from HBP and I really want to get the soundtrack now. The music did virtually nothing for the film, and in that sense it was not a good score, but I'm expecting a nice listening experience.

I'd be fine with that, too, Henry. The final moments of that cue are especially treasured parts of my music collection. But I also think a more straightforward rendition of Hedwig's theme would lend a nice feel to it, just coming in at the very end as the train pulls away. Kind of like..."Here we go again!" As if there are many more adventures awaiting the kids.

Also...Dumbledore needs a theme for DH. It'd be a rare instance of a major character receiving postmortem leitmotivic treatment. Harry's doubts about Dumbledore - and the eventual redemption of the character - are pretty central to the story, I think. It'd be nice to have that encapsulated in some sort of repeated musical idea.

I also think Leaving Hogwarts should be the final track in Deathly Hallows, certainly if Williams will not do the score. And then it would be VERY nice to have a medley of all the best cues from the entire series (including some Doyle and Hooper material) during the end credits :angry:

I also think Leaving Hogwarts should be the final track in Deathly Hallows, certainly if Williams will not do the score. And then it would be VERY nice to have a medley of all the best cues from the entire series (including some Doyle and Hooper material) during the end credits :)

I also think that's a good idea, but sadly composers rarely seem to use other composers themes (except Hedwig's Theme in this case, and Hooper can barely even manage that..... :D )

Eh? Doyle used it too, and to much better effect.

I didn't say they never use it, I just said they rarely use it. Very rarely in Hooper's case.....

Well, of course you didn't say that, according to your edited post. :)

lol well I couldn't work out how to word it right! :D

I'm not in favor of tracking either. I just believe that "Leaving Hogwarts" is the perfect way to end the series. Naturally, it would have to be updated to accommodate the length of the epilogue and not repeated note-for-note.

Even with a newly arranged and updated version, I'd prefer something completely different. When it comes to Harry Potter, I'm more interested in the scores than the films (well, at least I would be if Williams was at the podium), so I'd prefer more music over use of old cues, even if these old cues would better service the film. Also, even while "Leaving Hogwarts" might be a nice way to end the series, Williams is a composer that continues to surprise me, and at the very least I'd want to hear his shot at the Epilogue scene before resorting to old music. Furthermore, I think it'd seem weird to reintroduce the "Family Portrait Theme" in the last film after it has been absent for the previous five (it could be reintroduced in DH Part I, but I think that a reintroduction after a 4 film absence would still be fairly akward). And lastly, in the beginning of DH

Hedwig dies, and so using her theme at the end of the film would be completely inappopriate

(I'm joking, of course).

EDIT - Wow, nice spoiler tags!

Even with a newly arranged and updated version, I'd prefer something completely different. When it comes to Harry Potter, I'm more interested in the scores than the films (well, at least I would be if Williams was at the podium), so I'd prefer more music over use of old cues, even if these old cues would better service the film. Also, even while "Leaving Hogwarts" might be a nice way to end the series, Williams is a composer that continues to surprise me, and at the very least I'd want to hear his shot at the Epilogue scene before resorting to old music. Furthermore, I think it'd seem weird to reintroduce the "Family Portrait Theme" in the last film after it has been absent for the previous five (it could be reintroduced in DH Part I, but I think that a reintroduction after a 4 film absence would still be fairly akward).

Nah, not necessarily. In fact, I don't even think it's a good idea to reintroduce the "Family Portrait" theme at all in the score ("A Window to the Past"? yes, please). I just think it could work as a throwback to the first movie.

Well if he uses "Leaving Hogwarts" then he will be reintroducing it, as it plays a major (and very noticeable) part in the cue. I think it'd be pretty jarring to play it full blast at the very end of Deathly Hallows after it has been abandoned entirely, but I don't think reintroducing it earlier in the score to make it less random would work, both because it's a theme that wouldn't really fit in the world of Deathly Hallows and because (as I said) even if it did, bringing it back would be strange after the absence. I don't even know how I'd feel about "Window to the Past," it would certainly work in the film, but it still might be strange to have a reintroduction.

I'm not in favor of tracking either. I just believe that "Leaving Hogwarts" is the perfect way to end the series. Naturally, it would have to be updated to accommodate the length of the epilogue and not repeated note-for-note.

If you think about it the other way: There is enough musical materialby now to track any scene in DH with music from the previous movies. It will highly contribute to the consistency and continuity of the series. Really, if done properly it COULD work out very nicely I think :) (Sure, of course I prefer a nice original JW score, but just speaking hypothetically).

I wouldn't mind the reintroduction of the family theme at all. Brilliant melody, and it'd fit the sort of return to peace and innocence and family - albeit a new family.

action-smiley-033.gif

If you think about it the other way: There is enough musical materialby now to track any scene in DH with music from the previous movies. It will highly contribute to the consistency and continuity of the series. Really, if done properly it COULD work out very nicely I think :P (Sure, of course I prefer a nice original JW score, but just speaking hypothetically).

I'd rather get something original from Klaus Badelt than get an entirely tracked score.

I wouldn't mind the reintroduction of the family theme at all. Brilliant melody, and it'd fit the sort of return to peace and innocence and family - albeit a new family.

I think the theme sounds very reflective and nostalgic, I don't think it would fit at all for a newly formed family.

Saw the movie again today...the whole thing worked better the second time around. Even the score- mostly it was simply effective and nondescript. His theme for Malfoy's exploits, simple though it is, really worked for me. And although it's nothing much on it's own, the cue for the end of the big finale works well enough in the film. I hate the end credits, though. WTF? The way he used the motif from HP3 in 'Ron's Victory' just plain sucks. I'll eat my hat if 'School!' was not temped with some Thomas Newman. I've really grown fond of 'When Ginny Kissed Harry'.

The soundtrack is okay, but nothing more than that. Some parts are really boring in my opinion.

I find it offensive that Hooper virtually re-uses Professor's Umbridge's Theme from HP5 for the Potions lesson ("Living Death")! :P

I think that while there are some structural similarities with the two cues, they have two very different feels to them. "Living Death" sounds quirky and magical and fun, while "Professor Umbridge" sounds obnoxious and unstoppable.

I think that while there are some structural similarities with the two cues, they have two very different feels to them. "Living Death" sounds quirky and magical and fun, while "Professor Umbridge" sounds obnoxious and unstoppable.

Hmmm I kind of agree. To me though, it sounds like Hooper being lazy and just re-jigging the theme a bit so it doesn't sound quite the same, instead of coming up with something else.....

Yeah, like Gordy Haab!

Wasn't he told to do that though? His score would've probably been better if he'd been allowed to use Indy's fanfare.....

Finally saw the movie yesterday. My expecatations weren't too high, but it was even worse than I expected. It was absolutely dreadful, especially because of the ultra-slow pacing. The dialogues don't feel naturally, scenes are too stretched out, the music is either inappropriate or dismissable. Screenplay doesn't feel natural in places (how can Ron just continue flirting around when his family's house has been just burnt down?). The acting is very average. There is no chemistry whatsoever between Harry and Dumbledore. The best acting was actually the three seconds that Lupin had in the Burrows. The colors are terrible. At times I had the feeling I was watching a black and white movie. I think it's even weaker than Order of the Phoenix.

How on earth will they manage to make two watchable films from the last book with this director?

The only good thing might be that Williams will have lots of opportunity (if he comes back) to fill the emptiness with music.

Finally saw the movie yesterday. My expecatations weren't too high, but it was even worse than I expected. It was absolutely dreadful, especially because of the ultra-slow pacing. The dialogues don't feel naturally, scenes are too stretched out, the music is either inappropriate or dismissable. Screenplay doesn't feel natural in places (how can Ron just continue flirting around when his family's house has been just burnt down?). The acting is very average. There is no chemistry whatsoever between Harry and Dumbledore. The best acting was actually the three seconds that Lupin had in the Burrows. The colors are terrible. At times I had the feeling I was watching a black and white movie. I think it's even weaker than Order of the Phoenix.

How on earth will they manage to make two watchable films from the last book with this director?

The only good thing might be that Williams will have lots of opportunity (if he comes back) to fill the emptiness with music.

I think that's being a bit harsh.

No, it isn't harsh at all. It's totally true. I couldn't have said it better myself. :}

No, it isn't harsh at all. It's totally true. I couldn't have said it better myself. :}

Well then maybe I'm watching a different film to you people.

Maybe you should just enjoy the film for what it is, and remember the good parts instead of constantly criticising what's "wrong" with it.....

Maybe you should just enjoy the film for what it is, and remember the good parts instead of constantly criticising what's "wrong" with it.....

I can't enjoy a film when the bad parts have the upper hand.

I mean I love the cave scene in HBP and some other parts as well, but that's not enough to make up for the bad parts.

Just my opinion. :}

I agree on the movie's cinematography. I know it has its fans, but I'm not one of them. The DP should have been fired just for making the already cancer-stricken Maggie Smith look so horrible. It was a "WTF" on the level of Bill Pope's bizarre angles on Tobey Maguire's weird double chin thing in Spider-Man 3.

Yep, the same applies to scores. Maybe that's why I dislike Star Wars and Jaws and Indiana Jones. Hmmm.... ROTFLMAO

So you only dislike those scores because you want to get a reaction from people?

I can't enjoy a film when the bad parts have the upper hand.

I mean I love the cave scene in HBP and some other parts as well, but that's not enough to make up for the bad parts.

Just my opinion. :}

Ironically, the cave scene was one of the scenes I didn't like! ROTFLMAO

• 2 weeks later...