Rate "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"!

Josh500

Rate "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"!  

50 members have voted

1. 1. The score.

• 5 stars
    • 4.5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Not familiar.
  2. 2. The movie.

• 5 stars
    • 4.5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Not familiar.
  3. 3. Which of these cues (used in the movie proper) do you like best?

• Aunt Marge's Waltz
    • Buckbeak's Flight
    • Snowball Fight
    • Quidditch, Third Year
    • The Werewolf Scene
    • Saving Buckbeak
    • Secrets of the Castle
    • The Knight Bus
    • Finale
    • Other

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK who are better?

Dutch or Portugese?

Brazilian.

Not better in football, Joshua.

Just better in general!

Ahhhhh OK, in that case...

Brazilian. :folder:

Millions upon millions of out of work South Americans, living below the poverty line are not better then me.

I'm sorry.

That kind of attitude is EXACTLY why the Brazilians are better.

There is no nobility in poverty Josh.

Never said there is.

However, unlike you, poverty is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Brazilian people (and yes, I know a few).

160 million Brazilians will kick your puny 16 million asses!

You seem to have something against the Dutch.

Not really, I don't know enough Dutch people to have an opinion one way or another.

But if most people are like you (dissing other countries although they don't know them well)... who knows?

You assume I don't know other countries well?

I said "countries," but I was talking specifically of Brazil, of which we were talking.

Interstingly, you are critisising me for making generalisations, and then do the exact same thing.

If I was making generalizations, I was only making them about you (and sorry if I was wrong). You make generalizations about 190 million people in one sentence.

OK who are better?

Dutch or Portugese?

Hey, I can't choose between my nationalities. By the way, there's no such thing as ''a better nationality''. :S

How do I know? I'm half Portuguese. :lol:

So you're half Portuguese, half Dutch? :folder:

That's an interesting combination! :P

Yes I'm half Portuguese, half Dutch. ^^ And I don't think it's a weird combination... I once met a Brazilian jew with Georgian, Mexican and German roots. :P

Hey, I can't choose between my nationalities. By the way, there's no such thing as ''a better nationality''. :S

Tell that to anyone voting PVV! :folder:

Yes I'm half Portuguese, half Dutch. ^^ And I don't think it's a weird combination... I once met a Brazilian jew with Georgian, Mexican and German roots. :lol:

Apparently I descend from polish jews from my mothers side.

The world is mixing.

Still if I have children with my Namibian girlfriend. They will be percieved as being black. Like Obama.

Sad.....

Yes I'm half Portuguese, half Dutch. ^^ And I don't think it's a weird combination... I once met a Brazilian jew with Georgian, Mexican and German roots. :folder:

I didn't say weird! In fact, I like people of mixed races. Always fascinating.

In fact, I am American/Japanese myself. :lol:

Sad.....

What's sad about that?

OK rewatched this movie today, and definitely one of JW's masterpieces. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's better than PS, though. The music is just different. I suspect that's why so many are raving about it...

Some of the best cues are unreleased, but that doesn't mean the album is poorly assembled. It's more like almost EVERY cue is great, so the ones included (obviously the highlights) as well as the ones missing on the OS album, which are mostly underscore.

Among the unreleased cues, I especially liked (I didn't know all the titles):

Grave Danger: Low strings and then the threat motif o­n harpsichord again, as Mr. Weasley warns Harry about Black.

A Word Of Caution: Foreboding music as Dumbledore warns of the Dementors of Azkaban. Then a light statement of the DT (Double Trouble) theme for his words of hope.

Harry's Vow: A sympathetic, string-based cue for Harry uncovering more shocking secrets about Sirius Black. After his vow to kill Black, we have a brief

choral segment that anticipates the upcoming sequence (and might actually BE the next cue ? see below).

Confusing Confrontation: Williams music for this scene blends so well with the creaks and groans of the Shrieking Shack that it?s hard to tell where the music starts or ends (the sound design of this film is excellent)! The exact length of this cue is suspect, but it?s is mostly atmospheric ? the drama coming from the performances is so effective, it doesn?t need much help.

Meddling With Time: Continuation of the time travel material, while leading into Saving Buckbeak.

Sirius Black's Escape: One of the score's best unreleased cues. joyous, pulse-pounding excitement, and featuring the second and final appearance of Buckbeak's theme.

http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_...view&id=427

Perhaps this thread will help (sadly the formatting got messed up when we changed board software)

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5203

Apparently I descend from polish jews from my mothers side.

The world is mixing.

Still if I have children with my Namibian girlfriend. They will be percieved as being black. Like Obama.

Sad.....

What's sad about that? ^^''

I didn't say weird! In fact, I like people of mixed races. Always fascinating.

In fact, I am American/Japanese myself. :P

I thought you meant ''weird'' by saying ''interesting''. Excuse me. :lol:

I liked people of mixed races too! ^.^ Oh, so you're half Japanese! :folder: Do you speak (a little bit of) Japanese?

I liked people of mixed races too! ^.^ Oh, so you're half Japanese! :folder: Do you speak (a little bit of) Japanese?

Of course! I am fluent in English, French, German, and Japanese. I speak very little Portuguese and Spanish.

Of course! I am fluent in English, French, German, and Japanese. I speak very little Portuguese and Spanish.

Holy c... A lot of languages. A lot of fluent ones.

Although I had ALMOST a Polish girlfriend once, I never learned how to speak Polish! :lol:

Oh, are we discussing ethnicity now?

Not really, just a brief digression.

Well, I am predominantly Italian (complete with a stereotypically thick accent), though I am also part Polish, Russian, and Yugoslavian.

Does that mean you speak all those languages? And when you say Yugoslavian... you mean what? Serbian? Bosnian?

I liked people of mixed races too! ^.^ Oh, so you're half Japanese! :D Do you speak (a little bit of) Japanese?

Although I had ALMOST a Polish girlfriend once, I never learned how to speak Polish! :P

I bet it would have been more difficult than learning Japanese :D

I liked people of mixed races too! ^.^ Oh, so you're half Japanese! :D Do you speak (a little bit of) Japanese?

Impressive! ^__^ I'm fluent in Dutch, my English is pretty good and I speak some French, German and Portuguese. I'm studying Hebrew on my own now. :D

Although I had ALMOST a Polish girlfriend once, I never learned how to speak Polish! :P

I bet it would have been more difficult than learning Japanese :P

Well, I AM partly Japanese so... I grew up with it!

Impressive! ^__^ I'm fluent in Dutch, my English is pretty good and I speak some French, German and Portuguese. I'm studying Hebrew on my own now. :D

That's impressive too!

Why Hebrew? Do you have a boyfriend from Israel? :P

I bet it would have been more difficult than learning Japanese :D

Well, I AM partly Japanese so... I grew up with it!

I grew up watching Japanese cartoons, but it didn't help :D

That's impressive too!

I'm highly interested in Hebrew, Israel and judaism. I'm not jewish though. ^^

Israelis in the Netherlands are kinda rare. ;P

That's impressive too!

But you didn't exactly answer Josh's question, did you? :D

I liked people of mixed races too! ^.^ Oh, so you're half Japanese! :P Do you speak (a little bit of) Japanese?

That's impressive too!

Why Hebrew? Do you have a boyfriend from Israel? :D

But you didn't exactly answer Josh's question, did you? :P

Damn. :D Well, it's complicated. :P

OK, time to go back to the topic at hand.

Rrright...

Unreleased cues from Prisoner of Azkaban. Which are you favorites?

Sirius' Escape, original Mischief Managed, that short, emotional snippet after the axe falls down for the first time and the dramatic cue when Harry learns about Sirius' betrayal.

None will top the microedit in "Anakin's Dark Deeds", as far as I am concerned.

"Nick", who considers that and the extended end credits to be the only flaw in the album presentation of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

What about the omission of certain (awesome) cues, like when Obi-Wan escapes from Utapau? Or the microedit of the film version of Anakin's Betrayal?

None will top the microedit in "Anakin's Dark Deeds", as far as I am concerned.

That too, and also the one in Lament cutting out the soft chorus section.

What about the omission of certain (awesome) cues, like when Obi-Wan escapes from Utapau? Or the microedit of the film version of Anakin's Betrayal?

When I first bought the album, I was very disappointed with the omission of a great many cues, the score in the film being very fresh in my mind. However, as time passed, I learnt the obvious lesson that they could not fit the entire score on one disk. Would I like another disk of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith? Of course I would, especially given the waste that was the Star Wars: A Musical Journey DVD. But as a single-disk release, I think the album is a very nice summation of one of my favorite John Williams scores (barring the problems I mentioned above).

Coincidentally, I was just listening to the complete score. On this listening, it really struck me how poor the aesthetics of the listening experience are when you hear the whole score in chronological order...the first half is thoroughly awesome, but the second half can really drag in some parts. I can't give this score a 5, even though I'd really like to, but I'll give it a 4.5. "Double Trouble" is solid fun, the medieval elements are great, and "A Window to the Past" is one of Williams' more gorgeous themes of this decade. Also, kudos to him for the variety of styles he dabbles in without destroying the score's cohesion.

^ It's definitely arguable that the score is cohesive. Some people say "...without destroying the score's cohesion" while some say "but it manages to destroy the score's cohesion". Forgive me for stating the contradiction in rather obvious terms lol but it just has to be said that this is such a strikingly and oft-ignored point of dispute among fans and casual listeners alike.

Fair enough. I can appreciate how some people would think it doesn't add up to form any cohesive listening experience, but I'm not one of them. I just think the complete score suffers from a variety of...issues, as a standalone listening experience at least. It's got so many uber-short cues, and yet sometimes it'll go on and on in one particular vein for a long time. The peculiar structure of the story is fine in and of itself, but it doesn't help the score flow any better, too.

Oh, as for my favorite unreleased cue - well, I'm in love with what I've been calling "The Rescue of Sirius Black." Such a gorgeous cue. I also like the very first statement of DT that plays over the shot of the Hogwarts Express...and the alternate version of that cue is equally great.

Well, Pettigrew's theme is as clean as can be at the end of the credits. As for the Shrieking Shack scene...good luck with that! :| I find that the rip is listenable, but there's no escaping the pervasive SFX in those few cues. A few moments can be found cleanly or semi-cleanly in the featurettes, though!

If PoA the whole score is NOT cohesive, then it's only because Double Trouble is (over)used in the first half, and not at all utilized in the second. But that's not a flaw, really. I think as time passes, DT just replaces AWTTP... it signifies a change of time (and tone).

Only thing I desperately would like clean and in good quality is Peter Pettigrew's theme and the whole shrieking shack sequence.

Yes.

And there are at least a dozen minor cues that are very good, to say the least.

I don't..."Forward to Time Past" and that unreleased cue you mentioned have got to be the two dullest Williams cues I've heard! :| The idea is intriguing, and both cues have moments of greatness...I mean, the opening passages of "Forward to Time Past" are just awesome...but I'm not a fan of the rest.

I don't..."Forward to Time Past" and that unreleased cue you mentioned have got to be the two dullest Williams cues I've heard! :| The idea is intriguing, and both cues have moments of greatness...I mean, the opening passages of "Forward to Time Past" are just awesome...but I'm not a fan of the rest.

No, I find that cue fascinating. Incredibly well scored and imagined.

And I love how, when Hermione throws the two rocks through the window, Williams accentuates both throws with the orchestra...

I do enjoy that moment, yes. But the bulk of those two cues just doesn't enthrall me. The premise is ingenious, as I said, but when it comes down to actually listening to it, I get very bored through most of it. ::shrug::