Sandor

Titanic is still a better movie than Avatar.

Only in your opinion...I never cared for Titanic at all.

that's the fanboy in you talking, you're afraid liking it will make you gay.

Titanic is a masterpiece of blended genres. Titanic has great music, great acting, great drama, and it adds terrific action to a historical piece, with outstanding effects that never get in the way.

Well it's a bit gay, just a little

I totally got all the gay overtones between Jack and Cal.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because of the success of Avatar the remake Trash of the Titans will be in 3D. I meant Clash.

Also Harry Potter will be in 3D for the final two films.

because of the success of Avatar the remake Trash of the Titans will be in 3D. I meant Clash.

And to think that a couple of months ago people were *convinced* the bomb called Avatar wouldn't be a 'game changer'. :blink: Don't know how far it's influence will reach, but it will have an impact on the development of 3D cinema for sure.

And to think that a couple of months ago people were *convinced* the bomb called Avatar wouldn't be a 'game changer'. :blink: Don't know how far it's influence will reach, but it will have an impact on the development of 3D cinema for sure.

Remember Koray smelled a bomb. Since he's so good at it he should join the military and go to Iraq or Afganistan to help sniff out road side bombs along with the other specially trained dogs. ;)

I admit I was somewhat skeptical that Cameron could pull this off twice in a row with a non franchise film, meaning it wasn't a sequel to Titanic. The hype machine was in full gear, the budget and development time were both high and long. I truly wondered if it was too much for him to overcome at the box office.

I never doubted his effort though. That's one thing you can count on with Cameron, regardless of the script and material, he will put his full effort into a film.

it wasn't a sequel to Titanic

You know "that other big director dude" would have made a TV series about Rose DeWitt Bukater's adventures in America after she survived. With more footage worth of flashbacks onboard than it actually took to cross the Atlantic.

it wasn't a sequel to Titanic

You know "that other big director dude" would have made a TV series about Rose DeWitt Bukater's adventures in America after she survived. With more footage worth of flashbacks onboard than it actually took to cross the Atlantic.

Titanic II aka Rose DeWitt Bukater and The Last Crusade Across America.

actually a film about Rose's life might well be entertaining, it couldn't be any worse than the average Coen brothers films, and Rose is pretty to look at.

that's the fanboy in you talking, you're afraid liking it will make you gay.

I think not. I simply did not like the film at all. I found it rather dull. Ya the story of Titanic is rather tragic, but the movie Titanic to me was utterly dull and boring. I nearly fell asleep while watching it.

My feelings about Titanic are approximately as mixed as my feelings about Avatar, so while I admit I wasn't really expecting the latter to overtake the former, I shouldn't really be surprised.

Marmoset, you are a master of eloquence.

I wonder (this is not a geekbait question) what the total would be if the 3-D price increases were taken off. I imagine it would still be loads, but I wonder how much of a difference it's made.

If the 3D markup is similar elsewhere as here (~10%), I guess the boxoffice would be 10% less... which is still more than any other film except Titanic.

Here's the adjusted for inflation box office list. Right now Avatar is at 26, which is still impressive.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

It could pass Titanic this weekend or early next week on the regular chart. It might have a good shot at $700 million domestically.

Here's the adjusted for inflation box office list. Right now Avatar is at 26, which is still impressive.

Impressive, but rather low in the list to be 'the highest grossing film ever' as its being called. And that there are far worse movies with better places. Return of the Jedi for example. (i dont consider it worse...but since the mayority of people do...)

And i think i read that in ticket sales, it's not even in the top 100.

Impressive, but rather low in the list to be 'the highest grossing film ever' as its being called. And that there are far worse movies with better places. Return of the Jedi for example. (i dont consider it worse...but since the mayority of people do...)

And i think i read that in ticket sales, it's not even in the top 100.

Apples and oranges. Just by comparing tables, I think I'm understanding the math behind the rankings. This Wikipedia article explains better than I'm about to.

It's considered the highest-grossing because it has made the most money in that year's dollars than any other movie ever worldwide. Avatar has made more total money in 2009/2010 dollars than Gone with the Wind made in 1939 dollars (and I don't know how many re-releases), even though Gone with the Wind put far more many heads in the seats. That's before you adjust for inflation.

Once you adjust for inflation and can normalize the cost of a ticket back then to the cost of a ticket now, then it becomes driven by the number of people in the seats, not the price of the ticket, and Avatar drops to 26th on the list.

Because ticket prices are higher this year than they were 20 years, which were more than 20 years before that, and so on back to the beginning of theaters, that's what you would expect to see. A highly popular movie in 2010 will make more money than a movie with the same number of people in the seats in 1960, only because the tickets were so much cheaper then.

Additionally, the factors of bigger populations, better advertising, quicker transportation, and a stronger middle class now as opposed to back then, all contribute to the rise in ticket sales.

And I understand why they don't report the actual number of tickets sold (or heads in the seats) for movies. Each theater charges a different price, so it's impossible to reliably calculate. Instead of reporting an estimate, it's far easier and more accurate to keep track of the money the film makes overall.

I'd like to see where you read that it wasn't in the top 100 for tickets sold. BoxOfficeMojo deals with domestic (US) numbers only.

Avatar should have passed Titanic yesterday or will do so today. The weekend grosses are still strong and not dropping drastically It should also receive a boost from its Oscar nomination. I think it will go over $700 million.