Mark Snow's THE X-FILES scores (Volume 4 coming Tuesday December 1st)

Jay

Here's a link where Mark Snow talks about it: http://www.beyondthesea.it/news.asp?id=842

And here's what MV from LLL has to say about it:

Let me shed a little truth and light on the subject matter now that the "cat is out of the bag."

Yes, we are doing a 4 disc set of music from the immortal X-Files. Its still a work in progress. It will cover all 9 seasons and will more than likely feature music from 40 to 60 different episodes. The best cues... plain and simple just like we did with Millennium. There will be no dialog on it.

Its expected to be out in August... maybe September, but don't hold your breath. A project like this takes a lot of time to work on so please be patient. We have a plethora of titles coming out before this one so there is a lot of work ahead for us.

So now that the truth is out there have fun speculating on our approach!

MV

Ahh finally official word on this.

It was rumored to be coming from LaLaLand earlier this year.

It's a snow job, that's for sure.

Took you awhile to come with that one, huh?

:thumbup:

I'm excited about the part in the press release where MV says that they have a "plethora" of titles coming out between now and Aug/Sep :thumbup:

Actually, LLLR confirmed it in an FSM thread a couple months or so back. There is also more Snow stuff in the works. Right now it's the Year of Horner for CDs, but later this year it'll be the Year of Snow.

According to LaLaLand's message board the set has been pushed back to next summer, possibly for next year's Comic-Con.

According to LaLaLand's message board the set has been pushed back to next summer, possibly for next year's Comic-Con.

Oh, that's too bad, I was kinda looking forward to one more nice CD set this year ... :thumbup::D Any official info yet on whether this will be a limited edition?

Update on this:

After a long week at Comic Con Matt and I have decided to release this massive collection of music next Summer and have it debut at next year's Comic Con... possibly getting some uber cool people to come down and sign.

MV

See you next year, folks!

I've got an X-Files album with dialogue over some tracks, and it's a nice background listen.

I listened to the 30 minute (dialogue free) track from the Snow Files album on my way to work today. Too bad I'll have to wait until next year to hear more than what's already out there.

Nice for the fans. But I'll pass.

Ditto. I sure hope La-La hasn't forgotten about Farscape with all these other TV releases they're doing, I'm waiting anxiously to see if there will be a Volume 4.

I'll probably get it. I'll have to listen to the albums I have again. I remember liking the music but that was when I was really into the show.

I'm curious for those that are interested in this release, what cues do you hope would be included?

As for myself Scully's Theme (as it has been called), the end cue (before the credits) to Hollywood AD, and the final cue from the Truth immediately spring to mind.

• 9 months later...

This is now tentatively scheduled for October 2010, after being pushed back from its original (revised) date of July 20th 2010.

FYI, there's a thread on FSM where you can request cues or episodes to be included:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=66985&forumID=1&archive=0

• 2 weeks later...
3000 units still planned for October, but that all depends on Mr Snow, Mr Carter and of course, getting the cds in perfect order.

MV

3000? Surely this is going to sell out in no time? Oh, well, that increases the chances for a volume 2, I guess!

Yea I was surprised to see 3,000 units as well. Though, being 4CDs and probably costing $60 or more, perhaps it won't sell THAT quickly.

The 4CD Bernstein Box cost about $60 because it was real musicians -- and that equals big re-use fees, while "The X-Files" scores are almsot exclusively synth, with few live players.

I imagine a lavish booklet will be included, so I'd price it around $40. I could be wrong, but that's where I stand.

Hmm, $50 is about £35. I think I may have to wait to hear some samples (or longer *ahem*) for that sort of beast.

I'm slowly watching season 1 and it's all very early 90s sounding synth, but I think the set is starting at later seasons, so we'll have to see.

• 1 month later...

I had heard the reason this was being delayed until 2010 because they wanted to debut it at Comic con. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Comic Con is come and gone! It should be out for the holidays.

I had heard the reason this was being delayed until 2010 because they wanted to debut it at Comic con. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Comic Con is come and gone! It should be out for the holidays.

I know it's over, but I didn't follow it, so I wasn't sure. I knew it was supposed to be out for the holidays, but I didn't know if there was any news whatsoever.

It's coming out October 19th for $50 retail. I think that information is already in this thread.

If not, it's buried in an FSM thread somewhere and I forgot to post it here.

It's coming out October 19th for $50 retail. I think that information is already in this thread.

If not, it's buried in an FSM thread somewhere and I forgot to post it here.

That exact information is not in the thread, I don't think, but thanks :D

Does anyone have the complete The X-Files on DVD?

I was a fan, but I haven't seen all the episodes (especially from the later seasons).

I have them all, plus Fight the Future but I still haven't got I Want To Believe.

The later seasons are okay, but they would have been so much better if Duchovny's head didn't inflate to the size of an alien mothership and instead realized he wasn't going to make it as an A-list Hollywood movie star.

Hmmmm, I should get it too.

It's like 20 bucks per season nowadays...

If you have Netflix they're all on the Instant Queue to watch. Could save you a considerable amount of money.

Does anyone have the complete The X-Files on DVD?

I was a fan, but I haven't seen all the episodes (especially from the later seasons).

I have them all, plus Fight the Future but I still haven't got I Want To Believe.

The later seasons are okay, but they would have been so much better if Duchovny's head didn't inflate to the size of an alien mothership and instead realized he wasn't going to make it as an A-list Hollywood movie star.

It was awesome as a monster of the week show, but once it started getting into actual continuity and the whole conspiracy thing, it became dull as dishwater. A bit like Buffy, really.

Good for insomniacs I suppose. Seriously, those improvised X-Files scores got a little too much like background muzak at times. It almost felt like Chris Carter was afraid of having silence on the soundtrack so he told Mark Snow just to play whatever he wanted. The scores were always so bloody similar, pedal synthy strings with a few plinky plonky piano notes over the top. I'll pass.

Good for insomniacs I suppose. Seriously, those improvised X-Files scores got a little too much like background muzak at times. It almost felt like Chris Carter was afraid of having silence on the soundtrack so he told Mark Snow just to play whatever he wanted. The scores were always so bloody similar, pedal synthy strings with a few plinky plonky piano notes over the top. I'll pass.

Me too. They should've added some plonky plinky piano notes for variety.

Although I do know exactly what you are talking about, I highly doubt that will be what makes up the release.

It's no surprise. Snow tended to score most of the entire episode. With X Files' hour long episodes, I don't see how he would have the time to write all the music.

Interesting.

The X-Files music was mostly composed by Snow himself, so there are very little re-use fees.

Yet this is "only" a 4 CD set.

The upcoming Ron Jones/TNG set has 14 CD's despite having been performed by a 40 + orchestra.

MV has indicated that if this release sells out, a future set with more music would be released