Mark Snow's THE X-FILES scores (Volume 4 coming Tuesday December 1st)

Jay

It's no surprise. Snow tended to score most of the entire episode. With X Files' hour long episodes, I don't see how he would have the time to write all the music.

He didn't. I can think of at least five people who did uncredited work on it. Including his music editor, Jeff Ch(something), who is credited with two tracks on TTatL CD, and with some of the "MillenniuM" 2CD set.

Two TV shows with quick turn around, and a film at one point at the same time ... you don't write all that without constant help. Even Dennis McCarthy would throw his hands up in the air and cave.

Promises...promises...

I don't see this selling out in record time.

I'm disappointed that this is being pushed back again. I understand the reasons, but I will no longer have any hopes of it being released this year. Also, the few posts about this over at FSM are indicative that it will not sell out quickly. Maybe not even for a year or more. That's fine, but it simply means that some of the better music from the series will most likely remain unreleased as I don't see how the best music from nine seasons and 201 episodes could fit on only four discs.

Nonetheless, when it is released I will buy it and rejoice.

• 1 month later...

Now if they were to release the entire series on Blu, THEN I'd be sitting up and paying attention. I'd love an uncompressed release of the X Files episodes. Some of the DVD episodes look like 5th generation copies. I don't get it. I started buying those episodes on VHS back in the 90s (when it was 2 episodes on each tape) and I remember them looking stunning. The colours were so clear and vibrant, and there was none of the usual red bleeding that sometmes happened with VHS. The DVD sets look horrible by comparison. The season 6 episode "Triangle" is almost unwatchable on DVD. Pretty sure a lot of that is down to the compression, but it may just be bad mastering as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday MV made two quick comments about the set

Less than 2 weeks to go after waiting over a year smile.gif

For us it's been a little over 2 years in the making (Mr Snow blew the surprise last year in an interview) and personally, something I have wanted since September 10, 1993

MV

MV, is there any way we can have a general idea on the expected price point? I'd like to know how much I need to put aside.

It is $49.98

MV

For those who don't go to FSM, MV is slowly unveiling the track list there. The thread:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=78539

So far he's posted:

To lighten the mood across the film score spectrum I decided to torture you X File fans by slowly revealing the track listing of the our upcoming box set.

In other words, to over hype the hell out of this landmark release.

wink.gif

So, without further adieu I present to you. . .

Disc One:

Track 1:

Main Title (0:48)

. . .to be continued

MV

PILOT

Track 2 SCULLY TO DC/SCULLY MEETS MULDER 1:21

MV

I've been thinking about the music to The X-Files, and I think I honestly would like it a LOT more with a real orchestra. I mean, there still usually isn't anything too melodically ingenious, no matter what the instrumentation is, but there's some pretty decent underscore, and I'm a fan of the show. Still, I probably won't buy this release. Hopefully others will enjoy it.

BTW, has anyone ever noticed that at least a few episodes use a synth effect that sounds identical to that high synth/woodwind flourish near the beginning of Jurassic Park's "March Past the Kitchen Utensils"?

BTW, has anyone ever noticed that at least a few episodes use a synth effect that sounds identical to that high synth/woodwind flourish near the beginning of Jurassic Park's "March Past the Kitchen Utensils"?

Well, yes, only for about sixteen years or so :)

Snow probably sampled it or borrowed it from JP I guess.

Haha, sorry, I only saw those episodes recently on Netflix. They were not among the episodes that used to get broadcast all the time, back when I lived in a household with a TV. :lol:

I'm wondering if it was sampled from JP or if they both just used the same synth effect. Seems like the latter would be more legally feasible...

You're probably right as always :) I'm not too familiar with synth libraries and so on. I know I used to think about that particular instance when I was younger, but now that I have many, many more CDs, I kind of lose track with all the connections between them.

I will order this the second it is available. Cannot wait.

Probable purchase for me. I'd like to listen to a few samples first, as some of the synth stuff in the first few episodes of season 1 was rubbish.

Let's skip ahead. . .

Disc One

ONE BREATH

Track 20 -- THE RETURN 1:59

It's been years since I've seen the show. Can anyone provide a youtube clip of an X-Files episode with the music supposedly sampled from "March Past The Kitchen Utensils"/"T-Rex Rescue And Finale"?

god, there are a MILLION moments in Season 2 If i recall. They used it ANYTIME something was surprising. I remember the first time I heard it was like "where have I HEARD that before!" Heck... he even pitch shifted it at times...

I'll find a link or post a video.

The first time I noticed it was in an episode of season 3. I'm trying to find the specific episode right now...but yeah, it's used incessantly in that episode. Got quite annoying, actually. EDIT: The episode is "Oubliette."

maybe it was seasons three. I bought the first 5 seasons at walmart on sale and was doing a marathon and now I can't remember where i first heard it. If you found it then I can make a quick vid of it

Yeah, "Oubliette" is the first episode I noticed it in, and it is ALL over the place, like you said, haha. If any of you have Netflix accounts, it's available to watch instantly.

Haha as the girl from Serenity/Firefly and "Lucy" run around, i've heard it now four times in a span of a minute. lol

EDIT: And three more as they pull into the small town.

Four more as the cops pull up to the guys residence lol

It's been years since I've seen the show. Can anyone provide a youtube clip of an X-Files episode with the music supposedly sampled from "March Past The Kitchen Utensils"/"T-Rex Rescue And Finale"?

Hmm, so that explains why I found 3:29 of "Pod Monster Suite" so familiar. Granted, that is from the soundtrack of the first X-Files movie, the only X-Files soundtrack I have at the moment, but still. The tinkling sound is unmistakable.

There are only two cues I know I want from this set - 'Track 1' and 'Track 20' from a footwarmer called From Outer Space. Obviously won't know whether they're included until I get the box.

DISC 4

JUMP THE SHARK

Track 18 LONE GUNMEN REQUIEM 8:13

smile.gif

That's it! That's the same snippet of music I mentioned that was used at 3:29 of "Pod Monster Suite" in X-Files: Fight the Future.

I couldn't get the rest of the episode to rip (hence the abrupt end) but there are at least 4 other times its utilized (once more right after the end and three in a chase sequence a few scenes earlier)

You wanted to believe and now here it is:

Coming Tuesday, May 10 at 1pm PST La-La Land Records is proud to announce its latest releases:

THE X-FILES VOLUME ONE

SOCOM 4

You read that right – this is the first Volume of music we plan to release from this landmark television series. VOLUME TWO is already in the works and is scheduled to be released in 2012.

THE X-FILES VOLUME ONE – 4 CD SET

Music by Mark Snow

LLLCD 1170

Limited Edition of 3000 units

Retail price: $49.98

Produced by Mark Snow, James Nelson and MV Gerhard

Mastered by James Nelson, Digital Outland

Liner Notes by Randall D. Larson

Art Direction by Mark Banning

La-La Land Records is honored to announce THE X-FILES VOLUME ONE. This 4 disc set features over 6 hours of some of the creepiest, most elegant AND suspenseful action music composed from this now classic television show. After working on this project for more than two years, Mark Snow, James Nelson and the rest of the gang at La-La Land have come up with, what we believe to be, the absolute BEST musical moments from show. Housed in an attractive reinforced black cardboard slipcase, this collection of music from all 9 Seasons of the hit television show is a must have keepsake for any fan of the series! The 40 page booklet includes in depth liner notes by Randall D. Larson, detailing the history of the series, its music and its mystery. Comments from composer Mark Snow give the listener a deeper insight into his craft.

As an added bonus, composer Mark Snow was kind enough to sign the first 400 or so units purchased directly through the La-La Land website at no additional charge!

Artwork, sound clips and more details to follow.

Next up:

SOCOM 4 – 2 CD SET

Music by Bear McCreary

LLLCD 1175

Limited Edition of 2000 units

Retail price: $19.98

Produced by Bear McCreary and MV Gerhard

Mastered by Marc Senasac

Art Direction by David C. Fein

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) and La-La Land Records are proud to announce a 2 disc limited edition release to Bear McCreary’s tour de force score to SOCOM 4, the latest installment in the hit series of video games. This pulse-pounding score features a full orchestra incorporating Asian instruments, including a gamelan ensemble. The score was recorded entirely with live musicians at the famed Warner Bros. Eastwood Scoring Stage in Los Angeles and Skywalker Studios in Northern California. The music is among the most adaptive and dynamic game scores ever made, pushing the boundaries of what music can do in a video game.

The first 200 copies purchased directly through the La-La Land website will be signed by Mr. McCreary at no extra charge.

Artwork, sound clips and more details to follow.

See y’all back here next Tuesday, May 10 at 1 pm PST

The MUSIC is finally out there!

DISC FOUR

RELEASE

TRACK 19 THE TIP 2:33

There are a handful of scores that inspired me to do what I am doing today. This particular episode is one of the reasons.

Back when it aired I was floored by how absolutely GORGEOUS the music was. Having faith that after the series ended I figured a cd release was eminent. I waited and waited and waited... and nothing. Lo many years later I took it upon myself to release it. Rather ironic, huh?

After you hear the music from this episode you'll know why I was obsessed with it these many many years.

So, to the check list:

X Files - check

Remastered and Expanded Batman 1989 - check

Godzilla (1998)- check

Bad Boys - check

Airplane - check

Big Trouble in Little China - check

Blazing Saddles - check

Batman the Animated Series - half a check

Oh, there are a few other reasons why I started my own label -- and some of them I am working on right now. smile.gif

MV

DISC TWO

MUSINGS OF A CIGARETTE SMOKING MAN

TRACK 12 -- A PLACE IN HISTORY 6:04

Today's reveals will be a little different. I have complied a list of tracks featured on this 4 disc set that were edited down for two reasons: CONTENT and LENGTH. Under Mr. Snow's direction 5 cues have edits to address creative/timing issues that he though he was important to the overall listening experience of the album. And we agree.

They are:

DISC 1

LITTLE GREEN MEN -- TRACK 16 -- Fish Food 3:15 (The original track was 6:02 in length... it now starts at 2:47)

DISC 3

EMILY -- TRACK 5 -- Little Box Of Sand 7:37 (The original track was 10:17 in length... it now starts at 2:40)

HOW THE GHOSTS STOLE CHRISTMAS -- TRACK 15 -- Piano on the Tack 1:28 (original length 2:15 -- now has edited out mid section)

ONE SON -- TRACK 21 -- Train Tune (The original track was 5:08 in length... it now starts at :21)

DISC 4

WITHOUT -- TRACK 13 -- Hide & Seek 2:03 (The original track was 6:27 in length... it now starts at 4:24)

OK so that means all my wishlist tracks survived the cutting - if they're on the set in the first place!

:)

Here's a cumulative rundown of the tracks revealed so far:

DISC 1

Track 1: Main Title

Track 2: SCULLY TO DC/SCULLY MEETS MULDER 1:21 (Pilot - 1X01)

Track 16: FISH FOOD 3:15 (Little Green Men - 2X01)

Track 20: THE RETURN 1:59 (One Breath – 2X08)

DISC 2

Track 4: GRAVES 2:55 (731 - 3X09)

Track 12 -- A PLACE IN HISTORY 6:04 (Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man - 4X07)

DISC 3

Track 4: MOTHER GENES 3:53 (Christmas Carol - 5X05)

Track 5: LITTLE BOX OF SAND 7:37 (Emily - 5X06)

Track 7: QUEEN OF SWATH 8:50 (Triangle - 6X03)

Track 15: PIANO ON THE TACK 1:28 (How the Ghosts Stole Christmas - 6X06)

Track 20: A MOTHER'S ABDUCTION 3:02 (Two Fathers - 6X11)

Track 21: TRAIN TUNE ___ (One Son - 6X12)

DISC 4

Track 7: WATERSON 3:13 (All Things - 7X17)

Track 13: HIDE AND SEEK 2:03 (Without - 8X02)

Track 18: LONE GUNMEN REQUIEM 8:13 (Jump the Shark – 9X15)

Track 19: THE TIP 2:33 (Release – 9X16)