So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

I like Pearce as an actor. I often wonder why we don't see him in more films.

I believe the article says it. They tried to make a big star out of him but apparently the public has no need for him. He doesn't have what it takes to be a Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, James Stewart, ... Heck, he even doesn't have what it takes to be a Jake Gyllenhaal.

Alex - who thinks Pearce is going to be a fucking robot in the new sorta Alien, sorta not Alien film

Yes, Pearce will be the unexpected surprise twist moment robot with a different agenda (psst, the evil robot!).

I like Pearce as an actor. I often wonder why we don't see him in more films.

I believe the article says it. They tried to make a big star out of him but apparently the public has no need for him. He doesn't have what it takes to be a Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, James Stewart, ... Heck, he even doesn't have what it takes to be a Jake Gyllenhaal.

Alex - who thinks Pearce is going to be a fucking robot in the new sorta Alien, sorta not Alien film

From what I remember he turned down several offers to play so-called big parts. Maybe he's next generation's Sean Connery (LOTR anyone?) or maybe he wasn't all that interested in being a massive star. I like the guy, he's a good actor.

Karol

Filming Prometheus Has Started

Prometheus re-teams Scott with several of his long-time collaborators, including production designer Arthur Max (Robin Hood, American Gangster), Academy Award®-winning costume designer Janty Yates (Gladiator, Robin Hood), and Academy Award®-winning editor Pietro Scalia (Black Hawk Down, Gladiator), as well as set decorator Sonja Klaus (Robin Hood, Kingdom of Heaven).

Hmm, based on these collaborators, it seems like just another project for ol' Ridders. Just another day at the office. I got a bad feeling about this.

Filming Prometheus Has Started

Prometheus re-teams Scott with several of his long-time collaborators, including production designer Arthur Max (Robin Hood, American Gangster), Academy Award®-winning costume designer Janty Yates (Gladiator, Robin Hood), and Academy Award®-winning editor Pietro Scalia (Black Hawk Down, Gladiator), as well as set decorator Sonja Klaus (Robin Hood, Kingdom of Heaven).

Hmm, based on these collaborators, it's seems like just another project for ol' Ridders. Just another day at the office. I got a bad feeling about this.

Spielberg has been working with the exact same crew for 20 years.

Scalia is one of the best editors working today, I have no problem with him on this film.

Spielberg has been working with the exact same crew for 20 years.

That coincides roughly with the beginning of his decline. Not that I'm attributing that with his crew, but you know...

I'd say his "decline" began when he made Schindler's List and lost some his youth. He became serious and lost a bit of that edge that served him so well prior to Schindler.

As far as Ridley goes, I've never been gaga over him. I've found him to be an adequate director with a few great films and a bunch of average/ decent / bad / watchable films. The fact that every film in the series, since Aliens, continues to go downhill doesn't give me any hope this will be different. Especially since it's been over 30 years since Scott did Alien.

What gives me hope is:

1. Ridley Scott

2. Damon Lindelof

3. It's apparently only loosely based on the preexisting franchise.

4. The cast

I was hoping for names or things that would give me hope but for now the only thing that strikes me as positive is number 3. The fact that Ridley is just continuing with the people of his latest mediocre films is not a good sign in my point of view. When purely looking at the design of those films, I haven't seen much remarkable. It feels like he's just making another film about the South of France, if you know what I mean. I would pick designers that comply to a certain vision.

Alex

Why can't we just wait for the movie itself? It's the first s-f from Scott in 30 years. We don't know what it'll look like.

Karol

Yes, which is 29 years ago. By the time Prometheus comes out, it will be 30.

Why can't we just wait for the movie itself? It's the first s-f from Scott in 30 years.

I wonder if he even realizes that. A lot of people feel that Alien and Blade Runner are without doubt Scott's best and most defining work. Everyone will compare Prometheus with these two iconic films.

Why can't we just wait for the movie itself? It's the first s-f from Scott in 30 years. We don't know what it'll look like.

Karol

Yeah I remember those arguments for TPM, AOTC, ROTS and KOTCS.... ;)

Yes, that's what I meant.

I wonder if he even realizes that. A lot of people feel that Alien and Blade Runner are without doubt Scott's best and most defining work. Everyone will compare Prometheus with these two iconic films.

We all know it's going to disappoint most people, no matter what they do. The question is how badly... Somehow I can't picture Prometheus being paced the way these two films were. In a sense I don't even want it to be that reverential. What I expect is the film to be its own thing. It's about time we got some decent s-f!

Yeah I remember those arguments for TPM, AOTC, ROTS and KOTCS.... ;)

I'm open-minded towards this and the new Superman film (not so much with TDKR). It won't change the face of the cinema though.

Karol

It's about time we got some decent s-f!

Lots of people think Moon is decent SF. Heck, they even say Source Code is more than decent. Duncan Jones is the new SF messiah.

Don't ask me. In theory, I love the SF genre, but I can't stand 98% of all SF movies. The last decent one that I saw was Gattaca, I think.

Good sci-fi for the last few years for me: WALL-E, Cloverfield, Moon, District 9, Inception, Source Code.

I know what you're trying to say, but these pictures are not really what I mean by true s-f. Wall-E is a more of a cute animation than anything else, District 9 started off well and then degenerated into a mindless action flick, the s-f aspect of Inception is the least important element of that film. I haven't seen Source Code so I can't comment on that. And Moon, as I said, is completely unexciting for me and reminds me too much of Solaris and stuff like that. And Cloverfield? It's a monster movie.

Karol

Yes, that's what I meant.

Yes, I know :)

Good sci-fi for the last few years for me: WALL-E, Cloverfield, Moon, District 9, Inception, Source Code.

I know what you're trying to say, but these pictures are not really what I mean by true s-f. Wall-E is a more of a cute animation than anything else, District 9 started off well and then degenerated into a mindless action flick, the s-f aspect of Inception is the least important element of that film. I haven't seen Source Code so I can't comment on that. And Moon, as I said, is completely unexciting for me and reminds me too much of Solaris and stuff like that. And Cloverfield? It's a monster movie.

Karol

I understand you prefectly. Moon is the only film of these that takes the s-f element seriously. I think it was beautiful. District 9 was meant to be an action film, and a pretty good one at that (Neill Blomkamp has said he is developing films that are more sci-fi centric). I thought that about Cloverfield, but since it was awesome and many people put it on the science-fiction genre and I wanted to put more films... but for me is pure fantasy.

"Hard sci-fi" is very, very underdeveloped in film. Literature is waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of films on this regard.

Someone enlighten me: 2001, Moon, Blade Runner (minus the flying police cars), what else?

I'd say his "decline" began when he made Schindler's List and lost some his youth. He became serious and lost a bit of that edge that served him so well prior to Schindler.

No, its just that his serious POW won over the lighthearted one. Now his serious movies are more serious, and his lighthearted ones have a serious side.

He had been doing 'schindler's list-ey' films for all over his career. (sugarland, color purple, empire sun...)

There aren't too many science fiction films being made these days, but they're usually pretty good. I loved Moon and most of Sunshine (it lost me with the final act).

The Fifth Element still holds up, in my opinion, such an underrated film. It's astonishing how the special effects there are better than some films today.

The Fith Element is a dumb and silly Fantasy, Koray.

Someone enlighten me: 2001, Moon, Blade Runner (minus the flying police cars), what else?

True SF? Yes, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Solyaris, Gattaca (probably the most topical one), ... uhm ... what else is there?