So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

I finally watched the clip with sound. There is something very airy about the way Guy Pearce speaks, almost like he's channeling George C Scott as Patton in his delivery. It's been so long since I've seen him in anything that I almost forgot what a good and underrated actor he is.

The clip is intriguing. I like this kind of marketing.

So, is this the first time ever that they filmed a separate standalone scene in order to promote a movie? And is the scene truly directed by the son of Scott?

BTW, if this is the tone of Prometheus, then it isn't as low-key as the tone in Alien.

Alex

The Dark Knight had an interview show with Anthony Michael Hall's character "interviewing" all the major characters from the movie in different episodes as a way to introduce the plot points that would be explored. If Prometheus continues with videos like this my anticipation will continue to grow.

I finally watched the clip with sound. There is something very airy about the way Guy Pearce speaks, almost like he's channeling George C Scott as Patton in his delivery. It's been so long since I've seen him in anything that I almost forgot what a good and underrated actor he is.

The clip is intriguing. I like this kind of marketing.

Yup. It is almost like he is doing George C. Scott with a twist of Pierce Brosnan in his voice at the same time. Gotta to love entrepreneur-megalomaniac characters with good orator skills. And an intriguing way to market this movie. Got me interested and I have not been very excited about this film.

Interesting. I thought the reverb on the voice didn't match the size of the mega theater. Could it be he's standing in a green screen studio? ;)

Yes, but in a more advanced version of our current timeline, because he celebrates "fusion" as one of the advances of the first decade of the 21st century. Fusion on a widespread, commercially practical and profitable scale has not yet occurred. It would probably end all issues regarding a sustainable grid for powering buildings.

Yeah, was it any good? I once had a nightmare, I dreamt that I went to see ROTJ and I hated what I saw. A few months later the film opened in theaters and the nightmare came true.

Ricard: looking at the size of that hall, the reverb should take forever to die.

Maybe microphones of the future are embedded in vocal cords.

Maybe Guy Pearce is already the first cybernetic lifeform, and his speech is transmitted to the recorders digitally without such pesky artifacts like sound and echo.

His voice goes digitally to the TV studio and that's the sound we are hearing? Incredible! Still, his voice is far from dry sounding. You can hear reverb but it's not what it should be. How do you explain that?

His voice goes digitally to the TV studio and that's the sound we are hearing? Incredible! Still, his voice is far from dry sounding. You can hear reverb but it's not what it should be. How do you explain that?

The man is standing inside a holodeck the size of a telephone booth, and the vast arena is just an illusion?

Seriously, I got nothing. I'm quite content with the lack of impressive echo, which might muddle the man's words. Fortunately the man can enunciate.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it one of those trailers where they show you everything? I thought the previous trailers were nicely vague so I'm gonna keep it at that.

Why does the giant Xenomorph say "I am your creator, you petty humans!" :eh:

And since when do 'aliens' speak?

The world is holding its breath to see Scott's return to the sci-fi genre, a genre he helped define. Sometimes I wonder if Scott is aware of that.

For some reason Quint's link didn't work at all for me, but I found it on youtube:

Awesome trailer! It's only 1:11 long, and doesn't give away anything

This movie looks really good. Love the 1970's look

I doubt he can keep saying that considering Guy Pierce is playing Peter Weyland. He could stick to his guns before that, but now its too obvious an "alien" movie. Might not deal with Zenomorphs, but definitely takes place in the same universe with a shared history of the alien films.

I doubt he can keep saying that considering Guy Pierce is playing Peter Weyland. He could stick to his guns before that, but now its too obvious an "alien" movie. Might not deal with Zenomorphs, but definitely takes place in the same universe with a shared history of the alien films.

Eh, it's a prequel?

I'd say this one promises a much more interesting film than the other one. Even though most of the footage is the same, the US trailer tries to sell it as a blockbuster (with blockbuster trailer music). I like the international one better.

But, for some reason, every new piece of footage makes more and more skeptical. Same with the latest Batman film.

Karol

I'd say this one promises a much more interesting film than the other one.

I don't think so. The previous one actually looked Alienesque, It had that old 70s vibe to it. This one looks more like another Avatar or something. :| I am much more interested in seeing the other movie.

I don't think so. The previous one actually looked Alienesque, It had that old 70s vibe to it. This one looks more like another Avatar or something. :| I am much more interested in seeing the other movie.

I don't know how you can see anything like Avatar in the international trailer.

I don't know how you can see anything like Avatar in the international trailer.

My initial impression. Trailer looks to me as if it was another movie set in the universe of Cameron's "Avatar" than of Scott's "Alien"/"Blade Runner".

I didn't think that Blade Runner and Alien were part of the same universe.

And once you take the blue people and Pandorian aliens out of Avatar, all you're left with is generic uninspired science fiction that steals mechs from Aliens (and MechWarrior), dropships from Aliens, and various other established franchises.

And once you take the blue people and Pandorian aliens out of Avatar, all you're left with is generic uninspired science fiction that steals mechs from Aliens (and MechWarrior), dropships from Aliens, and various other established franchises.

You don't need to take the aliens out. The alien creatures are either inspired on real animals or based off John Carter. They didn't even bother creating new sounds for some of them. And personally, I hated the blue people. The design was just so obvious, with the big eyes, the cat noses... ugh.

The mechs are different from that in Aliens, though. All that's similar is the bars over Ripley's head sorta resemble the form of the cabins of the Avatar mechs. And the Venture Star is the coolest spaceship I've seen in a film.

Prometheus looks different to Alien because the Prometheus is just not the Nostromo.