So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

And you think that a human civilization advanced enough to send human beings to LV-426 -- I know, not named in Alien until Aliens, but still -- would make every ship look the same? Our current civilization is only advanced enough to send people to the moon and orbit of this planet, and the space shuttle orbiter still doesn't look anything like a Saturn capsule. A pick-up truck doesn't look like a VW beetle.

The Nostromo was an ore freighter. The Prometheus is clearly not.

The key indicator is that the distinctive curvature of the space jockey's ship is clearly seen in some Prometheus trailers. And there is no space jockey on Pandora.

~*~

But I guess that's the point we've reached in film these days. Every new science fiction epic will be benchmarked against Avatar. That's sad.

I think that might be the best trailer for Prometheus so far. I'm definitely very excited for this film.

Wow...that was stunning.

I will be disappointed if Fassbender is not the Ash-like android in the film.

Like the top YouTube commenter said...shut up and take my money.

I'm more excited about this film than any other in quite some time. I can't wait to see this, and yet I'm practicing controlled restraint when it comes to seeing trailers or promotional material. When Scott is really on, he's one of the great directors we have.

When was the last time you thought he's one of the great directors? Personally, I think it's been quite a while ago. Most of the time he's not much better than his brother. I don't expect Prometheus to be truly great but I'm hoping there will be some great moments in it and by that I don't mean spectacular 3D effects.

Alex

When was the last time you thought he's one of the great directors? Personally, I think it's been quite a while ago. Most of the time he's not much better than his brother.

Tony Scott has made one great movie, Crimson Tide, and a couple of good ones, Deju Vu (underrated) and Enemy of the State. Other than that, I have no interest in his work.

Obviously you didn't find Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut), Blackhawn Down or Matchstick Men good, based on your response, but I disagree. His last two movies, though, were not all that special.

Tim

I think Kingdom Of Heaven is good but far from a masterpiece.

I agree. I actually wish Orlando Bloom's character had died at the beginning and Liam Neeson's would have gone off to fight another round in the crusades. Also there is something intangible missing from a lot of Ridley's recent films, a certain humane touch. He is always so interested in the large canvas of history and place that he often, I feel, forgets the human side of things. In Kingdom of Heaven in the spectacle of the crusades I tend to forget Balian altogether whatever tribulations he is going through with allies and enemies, Sibylla or Tiberias or Guy. They all ring a little hollow and as consequence I do not care for them at all. Oddly enough Edward Norton in his mask projected the most poignant performance as the young king trying to hold his crumbling empire intact.

I just hope Man Of Steel won't be as ordinary as Someone To Watch Over Me (Scott's movie after Legend). But listening to Snyder ("Supes will be my most realistic movie to date"), it sounds like it will be.

Luckily I still have P.T. Anderson and Andrew Dominik.

Alex - who remembers watching Someone To Watch Over Me felt like watching TV movie of the week.

If you're gonna watch Suckerpunch, don't watch it on the goddamn tele. Watch the DC on Blu-ray. Still not good, but hey, you gotta give it a fair chance. Don't forget, the movie has its die hard fans.

Alex - who remembers watching Someone To Watch Over Me felt like watching TV movie of the week.

Indeed. Is that Ridley Scott?!

Lee - who sort of liked it as a teenager, because of curvy Mimi...

If you're gonna watch Suckerpunch, don't watch it on the goddamn tele. Watch the DC on Blu-ray. Still not good, but hey, you gotta give it a fair chance. Don't forget, the movie has its die hard fans.

It'll be in 720p. Good enough. Rambo looked stunning in it the other night.

Jason LeBlanc - "I loved it!"

:lol:

Pretty darn sharp eyed analysis there from Quint.

I think it will sound like Streitenfeld which is saying something. Something awful.

Although it was butchered, Ridley has nothing but great things to say about Golddsmith's score. In the documentary he calls it one of the "greats". Someone else comments it's a fantastic score for "Goldsmith's Alien" but not for "Ridley Scott's Alien". Probably true. I love Goldsmith's score but it doesn't suit the film and is far too romantic and operatic for what Ridley wanted to accomplish.

I see this new film as a chance to write something highly original, create an intriguing musical world much like Goldsmith did with his original. I really hope this young composer takes up on that premise. From what I have seen in the trailers the visuals alone provide a brilliant canvas to paint on and draw inspiration from, if Ridley allows for it.

Although it was butchered, Ridley has nothing but great things to say about Golddsmith's score. In the documentary he calls it one of the "greats". Someone else comments it's a fantastic score for "Goldsmith's Alien" but not for "Ridley Scott's Alien". Probably true. I love Goldsmith's score but it doesn't suit the film and is far too romantic and operatic for what Ridley wanted to accomplish.

Agree 100%. That's why Horner's more abstract approach to the mystery and horror of both the place and the creatures is more successful as score.

Jerry must have just seen Star Wars when he scored Alien.

Agree 100%. That's why Horner's more abstract approach to the mystery and horror of both the place and the creatures is more successful as score.

And funnily when Goldsmith scored Alien he and Ridley talked hardly at all about the music and we all know what happened. Then when they collaborated on Legend they talked about the music like crazy and the score still ended up rejected. Ridley is a fickle master indeed.

Alien like Star Wars? Have you guys gone crazy? Does Star Wars use a didgeridoo? Is Star Wars atonal?

I think people are referring to the romanticism of the opening cues. I personally think that it is a great way to open the score, a red herring or initial state, the music conjuring the dreamy wonder of space and exploration which then soon turns into cold horror.

James must have just seen Star Trek II and III when he scored Aliens.