So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

Either way, mark me down as one of the people in the thumbs-up camp.

Good! So far I think it's only you and me in JWFAN (and I'm far more positive than you too....the issues you point out do not come across as issues to me).

Glad you liked it, too, but I have to ask: you honestly have no issues with the way Milburn behaves? He's a biologist who first runs away from the sight of a dead alien body, and then he treats a live alien snake-lookin' thing like it's a freakin' puppy. I could buy the first thing from a non-biologist; I could buy the sceond thing if the first had never happened. I cannot buy that the same character takes both of those actions. It's absolutely atrocious writing.

UNLESS, of course, there is some deleted scene somewhere that explains his actions. And there might very well be; it wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened with a Scott movie.

Don't misunderstand me, though; I'm still a fan, just one who has some beefs.

I like the grumpy ginger with the partially shaved head, even though he is asked by the screenwriters to say some very stupid things.

I found him to be flat-out the worst character in the movie. There's nothing redeeming about him, unless one likes, in their 'brainy' sci-fi, a shouty angry bastard who, surprise surprise, turns out to be a complete coward. Just eye rolling stuff, really. The whole movie is littered with eye rollers like it.

Either way, mark me down as one of the people in the thumbs-up camp.

Good! So far I think it's only you and me in JWFAN (and I'm far more positive than you too....the issues you point out do not come across as issues to me).

Glad you liked it, too, but I have to ask: you honestly have no issues with the way Milburn behaves? He's a biologist who first runs away from the sight of a dead alien body, and then he treats a live alien snake-lookin' thing like it's a freakin' puppy. I could buy the first thing from a non-biologist; I could buy the sceond thing if the first had never happened. I cannot buy that the same character takes both of those actions. It's absolutely atrocious writing.

UNLESS, of course, there is some deleted scene somewhere that explains his actions. And there might very well be; it wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened with a Scott movie.

Don't misunderstand me, though; I'm still a fan, just one who has some beefs.

Yes, I did find that a bit odd, now that you mention it. One of my (few) issues with the film has to do with the secondary characters and how they're either portrayed a bit too casually or without the proper consistency. The scene you speak of is an example of that. There seems to be a discrepancy between how he first wants to get the hell out and then when he becomes a curious cat. Perhaps it's the biologist/scientist in him kicking in to high gear, overpowering whatever fear he has, combined with the fact that the tentacle thingie doesn't look that scary.

Ahhh, the always-reliable Walter Chaw from filmfreakcentral stomps it to the ground, claiming it a declaration of intellectual bankruptcy. My favourite sentence: "Prometheus is that conversation about God you get suckered into with some moron."

READ ALL ABOUT IT

Interestingly, he loved MADAGASCAR 3. Who would've thought?

we're going to see it at 4:45 this afternoon. In 2D alas.

Prometheus that is. If we see Madagascar 3 it will be on Monday which has 5 dollar tickets and free popcorn.

I'm really curious what you'll say about the film, Joey. Make sure to share it as soon as you come back.

Karo

can't promise right after, usually friday afternoon movies are followed by a hearty meal afterwards. We won't get home until 9-ish. I have to be honest I've barely perused the actually comments of you guys just to avoid potential spoilers.

UltraAVX 3D

Sounds like a medication for diarrhea.

Almost, it's the drug that causes diarrhea

My opinion will be pure facts.

JOE on Friday, just the facts, ma'am.

I will give my thoughts later, I need to think

I like the grumpy ginger with the partially shaved head, even though he is asked by the screenwriters to say some very stupid things.

I found him to be flat-out the worst character in the movie. There's nothing redeeming about him, unless one likes, in their 'brainy' sci-fi, a shouty angry bastard who, surprise surprise, turns out to be a complete coward. Just eye rolling stuff, really. The whole movie is littered with eye rollers like it.

Yeah, I definitely can see how he would annoy the piss out of people. He didn't annoy me, but if I'm being honest, I can't defend him as a character. I deeply suspect that in the hour of footage that was supposedly cut out, his character maybe comes off better. Or maybe not.

Dave and I saw Prometheus this afternoon. We both thought it was by far the most visually stunning film of 2012. It looks like nothing else this year. Very beautiful looking film with a fantastic beginning.

The Great Eye/Quint knows me to well. This is not a bad movie. That said this is not a great movie. It has some great moments. It has some really bad moments.

First let me say it is the script that is the main problem, but not the sole problem. For a film that is stunning and gorgeous the characters are stupid and dull.

The grumpy ginger was a dick. My first thought was he deserves to die. He's an ass to start. The progression of his character arc from beginning to end is puzzling. The end result is a wtf moment. There must be something on the cutting room floor to explain it better.

The lead character Naoomi Rapace is ill equipped talent wise to carry this movie. She's good but she's never as interesting as any female in Alien or Aliens. She's never interesting enough that you're engaged by what happens to her.

My favorite character is the Captain. He steals every scene he is in. However they are few. He is a HERO in every sense of the word.

Fassbender is very good, but he's a cliche. You know he's duplicitous, he has to be. And the secrets of the film are absolutely telegraphed. A blind deaf mute would know it's coming.

The american Tom Hardy in the film is almost a wasted character. He's an idiot. He's a brilliant scientist with the common sense of a wooden nickel. (this is typical of the real problems of this film, all the characters are cliched and underwritten).

Charlize Theron is very hot looking in the film, to bad her character didn't have more to do.

Stupid Moment of the Film. Shaw and Vickers are running from the rolling ship. They are like two stupid f**ks on a train track with the train coming, They try to run away from it instead of running aside of it. Well hell you know it's not going to end well. Perhaps they should have watched some Warner Brother cartoons as children.

Still there are things I liked very much. The giants are fantastic. They have a great look. The connection to Alien is well made. There doesn't need to be another film that actually connects the the films. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. For all their technology the giants/engineers are very flawed, just as we are. They are super beings but frail and subject to the own devices.

All in all I was pleased with the looks of the film. I was displeased at a script that needed more work, characters that needed better arcs. The movie also wanted to impress with a mythology, these are our makers, but who is there maker, and at the same time wanted to be a horror film at the same time. It never quite succeeds at either.

Still the film may linger in my mind for sometime.

it is puzzling why the giant turns out to be evil, there is no rhyme or reason here. He simply destroys. To me it is clear that the giant Dallas, Lambert, and Kane found was killed by the xenomorph, which I believe was a product of their misguided bio engineering. While that is on LV-247, this planet is LV-223. Perhaps LV-247 was one of the other 6 planets being pointed out in the pictographs. Finally the most tired aspect of the film is that everyone in power had an insidious agenda, for once they could have played it straight and just gotten into a bad situation without being evil to begin with.

oh and for Bloodboal ;)

It was an absolute great film, any one who says otherwise is wrong. That's an absolute fact. There are no flaws in any part of this historical film that we've all been waiting for since....well since God spoke to Moses.

I took a peek back and I think Quint and Croc are a bit hard on the film overall. It is not a turd and I for one enjoyed this more than the Matrix which I will never believe is anything but barely average.

script people scripts, get it right.

It was an absolute great film, any one who says otherwise is wrong. That's an absolute fact. There are no flaws in any part of this historical film that we've all been waiting for since....well since God spoke to Moses.

That's not respectful to other people, you idiot fuck!

oh and for Bloodboal ;)

:thumbup: You rock, man!

Hmmm.....after Joey's opinions are in, it seems like I still have to wait for a fellow JWFANer and to be totally blown away by.

If I'm allowed a little bit of meta-perspective at this point, what I find interesting is that most film critics here in Norway (to my surprise!) gave it positive reviews. Yet a little bit later, the fan/geek communities started picking it apart, most of them praising the visuals (casually, as if that was a less important aspect) but at the same time delving headfirst into the pure narrative details. Where the story went wrong etc.

I'm a little bit in both camps myself. I am a journalist (who like my colleagues gave positive reviews), but I'm also very much part of the fan/geek community. Interestingly, these story details never struck me while I watched the film. As I said, there were a few elements with the characters (and I still can't get over Pearce's poor make-up), but I thought the story was unusually tight and focussed. And besides, story was really a secondary concern to me; it's all about the experience itself -- the Scott trademarks, the communication of ideas through audiovisuals. That's why I go to see his films, and that's where he succeeded beyond even my wild expectations.

Oh well. It's an interesting development. Perhaps expected, considering it's part of a well-established and beloved franchise. But still....

I've seen it twice now and really enjoyed it. It's hard to argue about most of the characters though. Idris Elba's Captain is by far the most likable character and as Joey said, he's the true hero of the film and it's a shame we didn't see more of him.

I find the Engineers to be very interesting. I can't make up my mind about them. Are they evil or just very powerful and trying to protect whatever it is that is in those canisters from getting out and causing more damage? I like that all the answers aren't laid out. Even if the sequel wasn't coming I think I'd be happy with what we got.

As expected, the film looks absolutely gorgeous. From the moment we first see the Prometheus I was in geek heaven :)

Good write up, Joey.

Question: what did you think of the main theme? I thought it was rather beautiful, and strangely out of place, come to think of it.

You mean this one, Quint?

[media=]

It's been composed by Harry Gregson-Williams, who came on board late to do some rewrites. It's actually quite good

Anyway, thanks for your review ,Joey. We don't see the film all that differently. It's just the conclusions that set as apart. But, yeah, visually it's the best Ridley Scott film in a long time (even though, I would argue Kingdom of Heaven looks fantastic as well). And that's why I think Alex Cremers should enjoy it on big screen as well.

Karol

But he liked Sucker Punch... which was even more insulting to anyone's intelligence. Script-wise, that is.

Karol

I still can't make head or tails of the story aspect. The whole god/evolution angle Chaw described in his review seems terrible (i love it when american movies act as if philosophy never has evolved beyond the pilgrim fathers), but i don't know for sure if Chaw is pulling deductions out of his ass.

So i stay tuned...till august 8th..... :angry:

Quint, I was so tuned into listening for bit's of Alien that I mostly tuned out the score if it didn't correspond to that. The part Croc posted above I did like.

I wish Scott were one of the directors that would find a composer to give his films a unified voice.

That's not respectful to other people, you idiot fuck!

truth exists beyond respect.

Nope! KM likes it.

And that's why I think Alex Cremers should enjoy it on big screen as well.

If I really want to enjoy movies for their visuals, I think I prefer watching them on my 50" plasma screen these days. I'm too distracted by noisy people pushing against the back of my seat. It's difficult to get in the right mood or perspective that way (it's no problem with movies like The Hunger Games). Also, I have a better 'picture' of the composition when the screen is not all around you. Yes, watching movies at home is different, theoretically less immersive and so on, but it does work for me.

Alex

Sorry then, my mind took "Alex likes Snyder" shortcuts.

Well, go to morning showing then. That's what I prefer to do.

Karol

Nope! KM likes it.

If I really want to enjoy movies for their visuals, I think I prefer watching them on my 50" plasma screen these days. I'm too distracted by noisy people pushing against the back of my seat. It's difficult to get in the right mood or perspective that way (it's no problem with movies like The Hunger Games). Also, I have a better 'picture' of the composition when the screen is not all around you. Yes, watching movies at home is different, theoretically less immersive and so on, but it does work for me.

Alex

are people just terribly rude in belgium?

theatre decorum isn't a difficult concept. Course I have no problem telling someone to shut it, or turn off your damned cell phone.

Nope! KM likes it.

I never had any kind of screen like that but I think I would still prefer the theater experience. I just like it too much. It's more espectacular and the sound is pleasing to my ears. I never eat there or anything I just sit and watch. I never had any problem with people. In fact if the film is great and has an impact in the audience I enjoy observing the audience reactions.

You mean this one, Quint?

[media=]

It's been composed by Harry Gregson-Williams, who came on board late to do some rewrites. It's actually quite good

Karol

I thought the theme had a nice Williamsesque feel to it as it reminded me of his more optimistic music from The River, SpaceCamp and some of his occasion music.

Well last night, I came home from watching the film and decided to take the night to think over it and let it soak in. And now I can honestly say the best word to describe this film is frustrating. 

First of all, the film looks stunningly gorgeous. The movie is a real piece of eye candy. The opening landscapes were breathtaking and the ships and the visuals continued to impress consistently throughout the film. 

However, the root of the film's problems lies in its plot and script. Numerous plot holes taint this film. The plot also really lacks focus. It's hard not to be confused at the origin of the alien or the engineers' weapons. And at one point, the film becomes an amalgamation of cheap thrills and shocks. I mean look at the engineers' weapon specifically. What does it do exactly? At the beginning, we see that it just kills the engineers. Then, later we see that it has a similar effect again but at a much slower pace...but somehow it also implants an alien into Shaw. Alright, I can live with that. But what about the reptile alien that killed the two guys in the cave? How did it form from the black stuff? And what about the guy who was originally burnt? Suddenly he's all alive and kicking like a zombie unexplained...big wtf moments like that seem to be cheap shots at just keeping the adrenaline pumped up.

Characters were kind of mixed. Vicars is great if only she was given a more definite purpose. Fassbender also did an excellent job with his enticing performance as David. The captain was good too, but the others have their fair share of flaws. I wasn't fond of our American Tom Hardy here and it took some effort to get into Shaw. The likeability of the characters isn't too great but I didn't mind that. Also, the friends that accompanied me also pointed out the lack of common sense during the part where Vicars died (just run AWAY from the ship's shadow).

Regardless of its flaws, it's not a downright terrible film. I mean, the viewing experience is incredibly immersive and thrilling, only after having finished do you realize how flawed it was. This film was definitely far more engaging than the other big films of the year (The Hunger Games, The Avengers, etc) and as BloodBoal said, it's better than Avatar. 

It's just incredibly frustrating to see the huge amount of potential for this to be a truly great film, but its just executed poorly,ending in a rather big mess of ideas and concepts. To its credit, the first half (by that i mean up to the first deaths) is very strong and really engrossing in its mystery and intrigue (that opening sequence is beautiful). It's just the second half where everything falls apart. And that sucks because I loved the questions that Ridley Scott tries to ask...he just fails to answer them. 

I now see why people responded with such a negative view. I think the inability to live up to the potential it sets up for itself is what pisses me off. In the end, it wasn't an awful film but it's not the great film many of us were expecting. For those who haven't seen it yet, you will come out of the theater entertained as long as you are able to taper your expectations. About 10 min later, all it's many plot holes will come crashing on to you. But during the viewing, the film does keep your acknowledgement of it's many flaws at bay because the movie will have you glued onto the screen (even if with use of cheap shots). I bet people would be tolerant of this movie if it had no association with Alien or the franchise. As it is, its an absolutely breathtaking film stylistically, but a flawed work as a whole and a huge let-down for eager fans. So I guess I'm closer to Joey's boat rather than Quints.

By the way, it's hard to believe this isn't the same planet because the destruction of the ship leaves in the same position as it was found in Alien.

Oh and the music was quite fitting for the film. Williams' beautiful theme is not supposed to be the main theme but it's definitely the most memorable and it was quite apr for Scott's big questions about life. Expect a review of the score later this week.

The Avengers has become pretty overrated. It's not bad and its not very good either. Prometheus is definitely better than The Avengers, it just has its own flaws and fails on expectations.

This is how things played out for me.

Prometheus > The Avengers > The Hunger Games

The size of the "greater than" signs determine the magnitude of difference in quality of the film.

Nope! KM likes it [sucker Punch].

I don't think he's seen it either. I think I'm the only one on the board who likes Sucker Punch.

3 weeks after seeing it that film [The Avengers] has left zero impression on me or any desire to see it again

:yes:

Well last night, I came home from watching the film and decided to take the night to think over it and let it soak in. And now I can honestly say the best word to describe this film is frustrating.

First of all, the film looks stunningly gorgeous. The movie is a real piece of eye candy. The opening landscapes were breathtaking and the ships and the visuals continued to impress consistently throughout the film.

However, the root of the film's problems lies in its plot and script. Numerous plot holes taint this film. The plot also really lacks focus. It's hard not to be confused at the origin of the alien or the engineers' weapons. And at one point, the film becomes an amalgamation of cheap thrills and shocks. I mean look at the engineers' weapon specifically. What does it do exactly? At the beginning, we see that it just kills the engineers. Then, later we see that it has a similar effect again but at a much slower pace...but somehow it also implants an alien into Shaw. Alright, I can live with that. But what about the reptile alien that killed the two guys in the cave? How did it form from the black stuff? And what about the guy who was originally burnt? Suddenly he's all alive and kicking like a zombie unexplained...big wtf moments like that seem to be cheap shots at just keeping the adrenaline pumped up.

Characters were kind of mixed. Vicars is great if only she was given a more definite purpose. Fassbender also did an excellent job with his enticing performance as David. The captain was good too, but the others have their fair share of flaws. I wasn't fond of our American Tom Hardy here and it took some effort to get into Shaw. The likeability of the characters isn't too great but I didn't mind that. Also, the friends that accompanied me also pointed out the lack of common sense during the part where Vicars died (just run AWAY from the ship's shadow).

Regardless of its flaws, it's not a downright terrible film. I mean, the viewing experience is incredibly immersive and thrilling, only after having finished do you realize how flawed it was. This film was definitely far more engaging than the other big films of the year (The Hunger Games, The Avengers, etc) and as BloodBoal said, it's better than Avatar.

It's just incredibly frustrating to see the huge amount of potential for this to be a truly great film, but its just executed poorly,ending in a rather big mess of ideas and concepts. To its credit, the first half (by that i mean up to the first deaths) is very strong and really engrossing in its mystery and intrigue (that opening sequence is beautiful). It's just the second half where everything falls apart. And that sucks because I loved the questions that Ridley Scott tries to ask...he just fails to answer them.

I now see why people responded with such a negative view. I think the inability to live up to the potential it sets up for itself is what pisses me off. In the end, it wasn't an awful film but it's not the great film many of us were expecting. For those who haven't seen it yet, you will come out of the theater entertained as long as you are able to taper your expectations. About 10 min later, all it's many plot holes will come crashing on to you. But during the viewing, the film does keep your acknowledgement of it's many flaws at bay because the movie will have you glued onto the screen (even if with use of cheap shots). I bet people would be tolerant of this movie if it had no association with Alien or the franchise. As it is, its an absolutely breathtaking film stylistically, but a flawed work as a whole and a huge let-down for eager fans. So I guess I'm closer to Joey's boat rather than Quints.

By the way, it's hard to believe this isn't the same planet because the destruction of the ship leaves in the same position as it was found in Alien.

Oh and the music was quite fitting for the film. Williams' beautiful theme is not supposed to be the main theme but it's definitely the most memorable and it was quite apr for Scott's big questions about life. Expect a review of the score later this week.

This is not the same planet. This film's planet had a very earth like atmosphere with to much C02.

I have to disagree, Prometheus is not as good as Avatar. Not even close. Avatar succeeds on so many more levels than than this film, but even then they are so different.

I don't want to be too harsh on Prometheus because it really is too new and fresh. I admit I wasn't in love with Alien back in 79 like I am today. Alien has been served well by the passage of time and perspective. Prometheus may well have the same luck.

I don't see why people were expecting the second coming of Alien or Blade Runner to be honest. That said, I think this is a good movie -- a solid entry, and better than Scott's past several films. It's stunningly shot, and the 3D format is just as immersive and visual pop like Avatar and Hugo were.

The big problems are the paper-thin supporting characters (especially Logan Marshall-Green and Charlize Theron) and some questionable plot turns (especially concerning David's actions and the Engineer's motives). But Scott does recapture some of that shock and white-knuckle terror from Alien in two great scenes -- both involving Noomi Rapace -- which alone are worth the price of admission.

I think the movie would've been tremendously better if Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender were the sole characters in the film -- they were great together. Rapace proves that her turn as Lisbeth Salander in the Millennium Trilogy is no fluke, and I look forward to seeing her expand her English-speaking resume in further leading roles.