Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lonnegan

Musical sounds you hate

244 posts in this topic

Also: any of the various synthesized sounds that loop over and over...and over...and over...and over again in most rap. I don't see anything inherently wrong with repetition in music, but...seriously!

Rap is the most unoriginal music. They sample other people's music, make it loop and say random crap over and over.

Hmm, let's take this 80s one hit wonder and turn it into hip hop, no one will notice and think we're amazing.

Hey, it's true. The music doesn't vary, and the lyrics are mostly trash. Rap was better in the 90s, but not that much.

Minimalism is not something I tend to enjoy.

Aren't you a fan of AI and "Call of the Crystal," both of which employ minimalism?

They do have minimalistic traits (A.I. far more so), but they are not extreme to the point where they have practically two measures repeated for twenty minutes. Or I could just say that there was a reason I wrote "tend to", but I like the other answer

They do have minimalistic traits (A.I. far more so), but they are not extreme to the point where they have practically two measures repeated for twenty minutes. Or I could just say that there was a reason I wrote "tend to", but I like the other answer

Fair enough.

Drum machine from the 80's

(as in Hoosiers)

I like the idea itself, the only time it becomes unpleasant to my ears is when Williams uses it as autopilot (two examples would be the passage from "Battle of the Heroes" and "Jungle Chase" you used). I love it when he uses the xylophone hits as a sort of response to the orchestra, such as the moment in "Chase Through Couruscant" (which also made it into your Quicktime) where the horns play a passage and the xylophones respond with a quick and chaotic blip. Right at 1:44.

there's nothing wrong with Williams xylophone

How about a piece that's playing perfectly then suddenly can be ruined by one of the players flubbing a note and wasn't noticed to make a correction to the cue before releasing it on CD?

Modern movie trailer action music. In general.

I've gotten rather irritated with RCP's stereotypical useage of that blend of electronic and ethnic percussion that they use, but one of the crowning jewels is that sort of clicky thing that was put to obnoxiously gratuitous use in 3:02-5:33 of "The Battle" in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

The dry, emotionless Brass-sound samples Zimmer and his boys love so much...

also the fake choir from Angels and Demons.. it sounds so bad

Overused generic chorus, like in Superman Returns.

Those dry, emotional brass samples that MissPadmé brought up often make me think of kazoos on steroids.

I like the idea itself, the only time it becomes unpleasant to my ears is when Williams uses it as autopilot (two examples would be the passage from "Battle of the Heroes" and "Jungle Chase" you used). I love it when he uses the xylophone hits as a sort of response to the orchestra, such as the moment in "Chase Through Couruscant" (which also made it into your Quicktime) where the horns play a passage and the xylophones respond with a quick and chaotic blip. Right at 1:44.

Generally speaking, I agree. The device doesn't sound inherently annoying to me, but Williams has tended to overuse it in recent times, causing it to lose its effectiveness for me.

How about a piece that's playing perfectly then suddenly can be ruined by one of the players flubbing a note and wasn't noticed to make a correction to the cue before releasing it on CD?

That's not really a musical sound, but I'll take it, and add this to it: Terrible recordings where you can hear the musicians coughing, breathing, and making other noises that are more audible than they should be. Example: Duplicity, it makes the music near-unlistenable.

Minimalism is not something I tend to enjoy.

Aren't you a fan of AI and "Call of the Crystal," both of which employ minimalism?

They are probably about 0.5% minimalistic. There's really no comparison.

Minimalism can't be so narrowly defined, nor should it be confused with musical repetition.

Electric cello, James Horner 90's synths, duduk.

Karol

What's so wrong with duduk? :P It added such fine atmosphere in Ronin and Gladiator ...

Awful, awful, awful!

Better that than synth female choirs.

I can't stand overuse of the synth percussion hits the MV gang tend to love, as well as too much shakuhachi blasts Horner style

Drum machine from the 80's

(as in Hoosiers)

I'm not a fan of it either, but there's nothing wrong with the Hoosiers score!

The first 15 seconds of that song features an awful but thankfully rarely used synth sample which I detest no matter how good a song or piece of music might be inspite of it. The crap Doogie Howser theme had a similar version of it

Its a sound which screams cheese and tackiness and I hate it.

That's a Fender Rhodes imitation of the legendary Yamaha DX7, Quint. It was one of the first synths that used frequency modulation synthesis. Rarely used, you say? It was one of the most popular sounds of the '80s and was mainly used for ballads and ear-friendly jazz music. I hate it too ... but I love me a Fender Rhodes.

Alex

I always equated that sound to Barney the Dinosaur...on a similar note, I hate what is called the "popcorn synthesizer".

Personally, the sound I'm tired of is 'wonderous female choir' together with the celesta (to make clear that what you're seeing is 'magical'). Overkill!

Alex

there's nothing wrong with Williams xylophone

100 % true.

Awful, awful, awful!

This was an Elfman trademark, then he started using it sparingly. Now everyone does it! Grr!

Musical Sounds you hate

Hmm,i'm not sure there any musical sounds I "hate".

What I will say is that I always kind of liked the Doogie Howser theme (sorry Quint)

It always reminded me slightly of the classic

It always reminded me slightly of the classic

Hey, that's a Fender Rhodes and not a DX7! Theme For Taxi is great!

You just "composed" Williams' xylophone concerto. :P

Karol

What's so wrong with duduk? :P It added such fine atmosphere in Ronin and Gladiator ...

... and Russia House.

I don't mind electric cello or violin unless it's overused. Like synths, if used properly it adds flavour.

Karol

It was interesting at the point when Goldsmith scored The Russia House (which is great, by the way). Now it's just an overkill.

Karol

Karol

It was interesting at the point when Goldsmith scored The Russia House (which is great, by the way). Now it's just an overkill.

Karol

Yes, but then again violins, horns and flutes are used in every single score... Why cannot duduk apear once in a while? :P

As with "ethnic wailing". John Williams uses it to great effect, I think, but it seems over-used, for the most part.

As with "ethnic wailing". John Williams uses it to great effect, I think, but it seems over-used, for the most part.

Hollywood authenticity!

I hate the twittering sound of a bouzouki. Just awful. One of the most horrendous instruments even conceived. Oh where did the evolution of stringed instruments go wrong with that one?

For those who are unsure what this monstrosity is take a look here: Bouzouki

Hollywood authenticity!

Yes, exactly. I never got into the wailing cue from Munich, to be honest. While it's well written, I felt almost betrayed by Williams.

Karol

Yes, but then again violins, horns and flutes are used in every single score... Why cannot duduk apear once in a while? :P

That's a good point. :P

The only ethnic wailing that I absolutely love is from Blade Runner (1982). Imagine my surprise when I learned that it was friggin Demis Roussos who did the chanting!

Alex