The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

We now have 4 titles signed off on. Waiting on two more...most likely, one will move forward this year and the other come out in January.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&threadID=117068

I can now safely say that there will not be a superhero score amongst our Black Friday crop this year.

MV

So the Wonder Woman TV box set couldn't get approved in time.  I wonder if they are still working on X-Men by Kamen or if that got canceled.

Frankly, I don't get excited about any TV soundtracks.  There is not one TV soundtrack I'd rank among my favorite music for moving images.   So I'm hoping for some long sought after expanded film OSTs for sure.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Frankly, I don't get excited about any TV soundtracks.  There is not one TV soundtrack I'd rank among my favorite music for moving images.   So I'm hoping for some long sought after expanded film OSTs for sure.

Never heard Jane Eyre then have you.

44 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

Jane Eyre? Retired that one from my collection. It's just not a style of score I could ever get into.

I respect that.

For me too, I need to have emotional connection with a work. You can argue with me that "this" or "this" work is the best, that it is an essential.... But geez, If I don't connect with it, I can't do anything about it.... I can't like what I don't like!!! Listening to music doesn't have to be a torture!

But before being a John Williams fan... I am an "oldie" fan... So Romantic things like "Jane Eyre" are indeed in my tastes...

But don't talk to me about "Heartbeeps" or "Images"!

Yeah I guess I don't understand the appeal of these "archival" releases because most TV underscore is not very interesting, or worth the high prices often charged for those kinds of collections. Of course there's plenty of TV music I enjoy. Like I said, I just don't get excited for OST releases of it.

On 11/4/2016 at 8:42 PM, Fennel Ka said:

Never heard Jane Eyre then have you.

I don't really put made-for-TV films in the same category as serial television.  The demands of, say, Jane Eyre or In Cold Blood have much more in common with a feature film than a long-running series.

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What are the great TV soundtracks where every track on the OST is essential?  At best, I take samplings of tracks I like from shows like BSG or TNG or Lost.

Legend of Korra, absolutely.  I find the OST release for the first season of the Netflix House of Cards is one of the best-assembled media music albums in recent years, but I can see how some people might find it bloated (and the subsequent releases certainly are).  Other than those, though, I can't really think of anything.  Season 2 of Fringe is maddening with the selections they made (not a single cue from "White Tulip" or "Northwest Passage!")

On 11/4/2016 at 8:08 PM, petaQ said:

I would give half my soundtrack collection -- and all my Williams items -- for the chance to buy Ron Jones' music from TV's DuckTales. 

I don't know if I'd go that far but I'd certainly give a lot for fullish releases of all of Jeremy Zuckerman's music for the two Avatar series.  Also, Adam Berry's American Dragon and Andrew Hewitt's Darkplace.

Late Friday we got final approval on another Black Friday title.

So that means:

1 cd - approved 
1 cd - approved
4 cd set - approved 
4 cd set - approved 

We got thrown for a few loops and had one planned title delayed until Spring 2017 and another until January 2017. We are scrambling to get an awesome 2 disc set done in time to wrap up our last batch of the year. Hopefully we'll get it all approved in time. If not you'll still have 4 awesome releases to ponder over (Golden Age ONLY fans need not look at our announcement this year).

MV

Since Star Trek: The 50th Anniversary Collection was announced to be a 3CD set, I guess that was delayed until either January or Spring along with Wonder Woman.

I honestly have no idea what any of these others could be.  He said no superhero scores so no DCAU stuff.  I wonder if both 4CD sets are television shows, or movies packaged with sequels?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since Star Trek: The 50th Anniversary Collection was announced to be a 3CD set, I guess that was delayed until either January or Spring along with Wonder Woman.

I honestly have no idea what any of these others could be.  He said no superhero scores so no DCAU stuff.  I wonder if both 4CD sets are television shows, or movies packaged with sequels?

Any chance they'll do the Harry Potter scores as 4 box sets? #Desperation

That way you have 

Williams/Williams

Williams/Doyle

Hooper/Hooper

Desplat/Desplat 

11 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Any chance they'll do the Harry Potter scores as 4 box sets? #Desperation

Haha, I was frantically thinking this myself, but it's extremely unlikely.

If Warner Brothers ever gives them a license, each film would absolutely get its own release - especially the Williams ones. 

If Sony ever lets a label work on it, I'd expect a 3CD set of just Horner's material. Would be great to come out next year for the 20th anniversary of the film. 

I doubt we'll get anything before the film's 40th, which is a damn shame.  Too bad the sessions haven't leaked at all to tide us over til then

A Willow expansion certainly seems much more possible, especially considering Intrada's relationship with Disney, who now owns Lucasfilm.

I think Titanic is a higher priority.

I seem to remember someone at FSM pointed out that most of the OST and MMF are re-recordings/alternates/concert pieces. I have a synth recreation of the robot sequence at the start and it's fricking awesome.

Given the editing in the film, I suspect an 'as intended' set would bear no resemblance whatsoever to it.

I'm sure all Horner scores will get expanded eventually, the order they come has much more to do with the studios that owns the recordings' willingness to license them out, than it does the specialty label's preferences or the scores "importance".