The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Not to mention the only great film of the franchise. 

Greatly messy, yes.

There's great elements for sure.

But really bad ones too.

Altogether, for me it does not live up to its reputation.

All of this does NOT apply to the score.

John Williams did exceptionally well and pretty much saved the movie for me.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I thought kasey meant that he was tired of craving complete presentations, so that's why I advised him not to listen to POA.

I mean that I'm tired of falling in love with scores I've never heard before, as I'd save money if I were more closed-minded.

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Greatly messy, yes.

There's great elements for sure.

But really bad ones too.

Altogether, for me it does not live up to its reputation.

All of this does NOT apply to the score.

John Williams did exceptionally well and pretty much saved the movie for me.

So you're saying the other films in the franchise are better?

33 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

So you're saying the other films in the franchise are better?

I'm saying the lack of consistent quality in the Harry Potter franchise has been a massive disappointment to me for a great many years.

It has honestly been all over the place, between films but also often within the same film.

None of them have been truly great, but personally I still think the first film is at least the most consistent.

As far as I'm concerned, they're all entertaining and not too bad in their own way.

But by rights, they should have been better. So much better!

And that's coming from someone who can even appreciate most of the Star Wars prequels.

Figure that one out! (I can't....)

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Fair enough. I still think Cuaron was able to inject a healthy dose of cinematic quality into the third film that elevates it above the rest, but to each his own!

You know what? As far as cinematic visuals, I'm inclined to agree.

It's got a very interesting look for sure.

The only thing I REALLY don't like in the visuals is the very stupid werewolf.

It's still weird that the surroundings and layout of stuff changed between movies.

But it's difficult to be too critical of that, since the result does look pretty good.

They've just posted to their Facebook:

GREAT news: After 2 years of approvals (and much longer making the project) LLLCD 1372 is finally approved! We are gonna RACE this 3 disc project to the finish line and have it up for sale July 11!

Its The Great Race, which he publicly said was coming, previously mentioned it was supposed to come out in 2015 for its 50th anniversary, and he emphasized the words GREAT and RACE in his post.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Its The Great Race, which he publicly said was coming, previously mentioned it was supposed to come out in 2015 for its 50th anniversary, and he emphasized the words GREAT and RACE in his post.

GREAT. Leaves more money in my wallet for when I RACE to buy something more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

That set is GREAT, BTW.  Batman's sound quality is a truly noticeable upgrade from the older set, and the Jim Titus artwork make Takis' Returns notes so much easier to read.

This was an auto-buy release for me a couple of years ago.  I had been still using crappy, low quality MP3 versions of the OSTs that I downloaded off Limewire or Napster or something when I was 14.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Great set! I've got both Batman sets from LLL and the collection one sounds noticeably better.

Karol

I luckily didn't have to do double dipping on this one as I didn't buy the first LLL release of either score and never owned the Batman Returns before the Elfman Batman Collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I shall pass since I already own all of those I really need from the above selection.

I mean, they're hugely successful and popular films/scores. The previous sequels were notorious for not having physical releases, and the sessions leaked either way for all of them.

I don't think it's a sought after choice rather than it simply being an option. Other contemporary scores have gotten similar treatments in their time, such as Craig Armstrong's The Incredible Hulk. If all the licensing companies open their doors, why not?