The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

On 1/9/2018 at 5:03 AM, Richard said:

Is anyone prepared to put money on the possibility that this is SCHINDLER'S LIST, and that the "special charity' will be the Shoah Foundation?

When is Holocaust Memorial Day, chaps?

International Holocaust Remembrance Day is January 27th, which would put it right in line with the Feb charity release.  Fingers crossed!  

My older son and I were watching it on Netflix last night, he had never seen it before.  We got through the first 90 min or so before he headed off to bed.  He was pretty impressed with the movie so far.  I haven't seen it in about 10 years so it was good to revisit this classic film (and score!).  

Chad

On 1/10/2018 at 7:30 AM, bollemanneke said:

I wish they realised that it's ultimately about the consumers, not about what they think about the score...

Yeah man, fuck the artists and what they feel about their own work! It belongs to the consumers!

Just now, bollemanneke said:

I haven't said that. I do think that artists should be able to let go at a certain point and just give the consumers, who will ultimately buy the product or not, what they want.

George Lucas will answer the call.

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I haven't said that. I do think that artists should be able to let go at a certain point and just give the consumers, who will ultimately buy the product or not, what they want.

Or not...;

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

It’s not the job of the artist to give the audience what the audience wants. If the audience knew what they needed, then they wouldn’t be the audience. They would be the artists. It is the job of artists to give the audience what they need. -Alan Moore

;)

Karol

On 13/01/2018 at 7:22 PM, crocodile said:

It’s not the job of the artist to give the audience what the audience wants. If the audience knew what they needed, then they wouldn’t be the audience. They would be the artists. It is the job of artists to give the audience what they need. -Alan Moore

Nice one! I like it.

But "making what you need" is still a huge step further from "knowing what you need"...

It might not be Schindler's List. From the FSM message board:

To answer your question, yes 100% of this upcoming release will be donated to United Way of Ventura County Thomas Fire Fund. The cd will cost $15. We are just waiting for the studio to wave all of their royalties on this release (the composer has already done so. He is even paying the mastering bill, we will be handling the printing and manufacturing bills out of pocket). 

We hope to have it out in February, just waiting on the red tape.

MV

On 1/13/2018 at 5:12 AM, Denise Bryson said:

George Lucas will answer the call.

This is one of the more confusing aspects of film music. Should these artists have the right to present their music poorly? I don't even think Titanic would have ever happened if Horner was still alive...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite happy there is nothing out there this month that I desperately need (so far anyway). Money is a bit tight this month (for pleasant reasons!). And it looks like the first Feb release from Intrada is Cosmos vol 4 anyway so I can do without that one as well.

Karol

Nothing for me this month either, but that's okay because it means I might finally be able to dunk in for The Post and CE3K, maybe one of the two big recent Intradas as well.

That guy on FSM who won't stop asking LLL about Buffy is probably crapping his pants right now.

14 hours ago, Trent B said:

I don't remember the music from Buffy. The other three never heard of them or seen them.

I couldn't bear to watch more than 1.5 seasons.  I don't remember anything particularly interesting scorewise from what I did see.

Intrada has good chances to become the special label of the year, after how they begun this year.

31 minutes ago, mstrox said:

That guy on FSM who won't stop asking LLL about Buffy is probably crapping his pants right now.

It's always nice to see an expansion shutting up a bunch of people. I personally can't bear to read "Varese should expand Small Soldiers and Air Force One" posts any more, though I also agree that this statement is as true as "A corpse is dead".

13 hours ago, mstrox said:

couldn't bear to watch more than 1.5 seasons.  I don't remember anything particularly interesting scorewise from what I did see.

If you started at the beginning, it's no wonder! The first had pretty bad music in general, cliched horror stingers and such. Season 2 was a bit of a step up but the show and the score didn't really get good until halfway through the season -- probably right after you gave up watching, sadly. Then season 3 IMO was even better. Season 4 while generally a step down after that, actually had some of Christophe Beck's strongest and most creative and unique scores, such as Restless (very experimental season finale) and Hush (largely silent episode where the music carried everything because the premise was monsters that steal people's voices).

Yavar

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So... What are they releasing this month? Buffy, Accused, Jewel of the Nile and what's the fourth? (Can't read the image, sorry.)

The Curse of Oak Island.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Richard said:

Probably because too many JWfaners complained about ANGELA'S ****ing ASHES!

I feel your frustration. Everything involving Limerick is frustrating. 

Wasn't there supposed to be one in February where 100% of profits would go to some charity?

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Does this mean that there's a big title coming?

No

Just now, Holko said:

Wasn't there supposed to be one in February where 100% of profits would go to some charity?

Probably got delayed til March 27th