The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Just now, bollemanneke said:

I really should stop hoping for JW releases every month... but I can't!

More time to save your money up for when they do come out!

43 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The ? is probably just a release that isn't finalized yet, so they're hedging their bets.

Exactly.

59 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

oh...

so, they just don't know what the release will be?

I'm sure they know exactly what they want and hope it will be, but if the artwork isn't approved yet, they can't put it on a Facebook post until it is.

Just posted to the LLL Facebook page:

UPDATE ON THE "?" RELEASE WE HAD PLANNED FOR MARCH 27:

Looks like none of the 3 possible releases we had hoped for will be ready in time, so the only new thing we will have on the website that day are the signed copies of Cloverfield Paradox courtesy of Sparks and Shadows.

April, on the other hand, might be a pretty crowded and expensive month!

13 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Hopefully it's the remaining unreleased music from Titanic.

Oh, bugger TITANIC!

Have you ever read what Freud has to say about the male preoccupation with size (and, no, he isn't a fucking passenger!)?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like La-La Land is about to release Bernard Herrmann's The Earth That Stood Still on the April 13th (Friday?)...? Not sure if this is true or not. It's it's up their alley but I will take it with a grain of salt.

Karol

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

I, for one, am interested in this. Got the McNeely re-recording but missed all the reissues of the original recording.

Karol

I'm more interested in Herrmann's original recording of Psycho.

No April flyer coming today or tomorrow:

No April flyer

MV

Just to clarify, we do have some things coming in April we just don't know what and I don't want to state anything specifically until we do.

As of right now we do have Day The Earth Stood Still coming April 10 for sure. That's at the printers

We have 4 other projects inching toward the finish line...all of which could be signed off on today or weeks from now. It's all part of the wonderful and exciting life of a soundtrack label owner! We are lucky like that.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=39&forumID=1&threadID=67395&archive=0

The liner notes statement isn't accurate. What we've done is collect the essays by Jon Burlingame, Stephen Smith, Julie Kirgo and myself from all of the previous releases and that ended up working very nicely. There isn't anything new. The master is the same as I did for Kritzerland but La-La Land wanted to have this in their catalogue and to have Jim do the art.

Mike M.

Who owns the new master used by Kritzerland? Did LLL pay Mike or Bruce to use it? Is this title considered a sure thing or are sales secondary to the goal of having it in the LLL catalog?

The studio owns the master. Everyone was paid again to re-re-release it. Even the producing credits were carried over from the previous Kritzerland release. 

I never pass up a chance to release a Herrmann. With the future of Fox being cloudy I thought it best to jump on this classic title, release it through retail and give folks a chance to buy a legitimate fully licensed soundtrack release to one of the greatest scores of all time. 

If you have the Kritzerland release there really is no need to pick this up unless you're a Titus fan.

MV

The labels know more about what masters are what than the studios do, but the studios own them all. If LLL had wanted to put out the one from 1993, they could have, or put out both, or have spent to the money to do it over again if they wanted. In the same way the studios can turn over whatever masters are done to vinyl labels who want to put out a score, but I've done what I can to provide pre-masters or hi-res material, as there are many vinyls out there sourced from a CD rip.

This one is done as far as I'm concerned, and now if it ends up being owned by Disney we'll at least have a version available that effectively combines everything that the Fox Classics, Varese and Kritzerland versions offered.

Mike M.

I used the same Sonic project from 2014 when we did this for the Robert Wise centenary and made a new DDP with encoded ISRCs from Fox, which they now insist on for all releases. Uploaded to La-La Land's plant rather than Kritzerland's. Those are the only differences.

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=126336&forumID=1&archive=0

Mike's master for Kritzerland was regarded as a nice upgrade, and this release combines that master with artwork by the best in the business plus all the liner notes that every previous release had all in one package, so it seems worthwhile to pick up, especially considering it is going to retail for $15.98.

I bought the original Fox release and stopped at the Herrmann box set. But this deserves to be available to everyone.

I do do have the McNeely recording as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

The comments say it's Alien Day. A properly complete Aliens or an Alien3 from newly found sources, possibly?

I think one of the tracks on it is messed up; I believe for Ripley's Rescue, they mixed the standard version over the percussion only version for some reason.  The blu ray isolated score version sounds better, anyway.

There's nothing actually recorded missing though.

I'm guessing its the Blake Neely release where the proceeds go to the California fire relief fund.