The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

How can anyone claim he's overhyping anything when the first thing he said was that many people will find it "meh"?

Good lord!

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which Newman is he talking about? Thomas?

He was being deliberately vague, I suspect...and it might be referring to more than one Newman. LLL has released scores by Alfred, Thomas, David, and Joey. As far as I know they've never done a Randy or a Lionel score, but that could always change.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Amer said:

It has to be a franchise related title. Why else would a studio get so worked up on logos? 

Studios work hard to make logos as frightening as possible for young children. Look up the "V of Doom" and the "S from Hell" for further info.

Okay, my theory/question based on othing but my own wishlist: Could it be that LLL has somehow managed to get rid of the ridiculous licence fees that are connected to post-2005 scores? In other words, is it legally possible for specialty labels to find a way around those? After all, they can't survive if nothing post-2005 is possible, right?

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

In other words, is it legally possible for specialty labels to find a way around those? After all, they can't survive if nothing post-2005 is possible, right?

Maybe! We know that labels negotiate directly with unions with regards to their fees, seeking exemptions for various reasons (though Intrada's attempts ultimately failed on Avatar). Which makes total sense, because it's in the union's best interests to actually return a profit for members, rather than remain so stubborn about fees that releases become financially unviable for smaller labels (because then everyone loses, especially the musicians).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Maybe! We know that labels negotiate directly with unions with regards to their fees, seeking exceptions for various reasons (though Intrada's attempts ultimately failed on Avatar). Which makes total sense, because it's in the union's best interests to actually return a profit for members, rather than remain so stubborn about fees that releases become financially unviable for smaller labels (because then everyone loses, especially the musicians).

I didn't know that record labels negotiated directly with the unions. You'd think studios would do that...

As for those fees, I have no idea about the numbers, but can we safely say that abolishing them would be more profitable for all parties involved?

I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm going to care about neither this mystery release nor "what it represents as a whole."  Hope I'm wrong, but if it's all about crap 80s cartoons or something similar, I really couldn't care less.

22 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

As for those fees, I have no idea about the numbers, but can we safely say that abolishing them would be more profitable for all parties involved?

Whatever changed after 2005, it's made it prohibitive for labels to release scores unless they want to sell at a loss or print an untenably large quantity of units (which they won't be able to sell) to justify the fees incurred.

My understanding is that independent labels like LLL rely on reduced quantities because it reduces the fees involved in licensing a score (especially when the studio, composer and musicians all want a slice of the pie) and helps make releases financially viable.

Obviously we never heard about exact dollars but JP/TLW was basically a break-even release for LLL. Fortunately for us, their passion revolves more around the music than profit margins, but if the scales tip much further it would become unsustainable as a business model.

" A question mark is just a question mark. Not a clue or a hint. Its going to be one of two titles. One has been approved (Fox title) while the other (Mystery title) is waiting on one last thumbs up. If the Mystery title gets final approval this week it's coming out on the 19th. If it's not approved it will be coming out on July 5 and the Fox title will take its place on June 19th.

And NO the word mystery is not a clue!!!"

The Varese theory is a rather interesting one, and the fact that they were bought by that other company would lend some logic to that possibility.

Not saying it's that likely, but it would make sense if it were.

I'm a bigger fan of the idea that it's a release from some studio which implies a lot of other stuff that's now possible. MV using 'awesome' to describe some people's reactions feels like how he diplomatically describes all their releases - some people will be interested and some won't, but it opens doors.

Although.... if logos and branding have taken forever, it's something that the studio cares a lot about. JPIII does seem to fit these clues but I'm just not sure what such a release would 'unleash' and make us so happy about. Not like there's masses of Davis' scores unreleased. MV saying the announcement will be 'pretty special' also suggests he will talk about whatever the newly opened door is when he announces this one.

On 04/06/2018 at 10:27 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Rogue One? Extremely unlikely, but it would certainly fit the description. ;)

That was my first thought too :P

A general meh from a lot of Williams fans but the implications for future releases would certainly cause a lot of drooling!