The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

First of all: Weisz and Bello are both great!

Besides: The third Mummy score is the score that epitomizes "meh", so that would fit.

Moreover: What is Bello supposed to do to make her role in that movie memorable?!

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

He also exclaimed that Emma Watson was becoming a "smoking hot babe" in one of the Harry Potter reviews. She was under 18 at the time.

I remember that. It was for the CoS review where he said she was "entering the early stages of babehood". I was like WTF

It's hard to think of film "series" at Universal that haven't already been tackled.

Back To The Future?  Done.

Jaws? Done.

Jurassic Park? First two done and indication the third is in the works.

Airport?  Maybe?  Probably not worthy of a Variety article?

American Pie? Do these have original scores?

Bourne? Too soon?

Beethoven? Does anybody care?

Darkman? Does anybody care about the non-Elfman ones?  Definitely not worthy of a Variety article.

Fast and the Furious?  Maybe?  8 films and counting...

Fifty Shades of Grey? Too soon?

Psycho? 2 is already done, 1 the tapes are lost (?), do people want 3 and 4?

Smokey and the Bandit?  Is there a lot of score in these films?

Universal Monsters?  Makes the most sense to me, they have made 100 films and counting, and the long legacy could lead to worthiness for a Variety article.

The other option is that MV's comment on FSM in the Universal thread was not about the same title that is the "mystery title" being revealed on Friday, which could mean the "series" is from another studio.

11 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

He also exclaimed that Emma Watson was becoming a "smoking hot babe" in one of the Harry Potter reviews. She was under 18 at the time.

At least he was honest.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Airport?  Maybe?  Probably not worthy of a Variety article?

Not worthy of an article, but I'd certainly buy the first one for this.  Alfred Newman's score is cool and its the final work of a master.

Also, is it just me or is http://soundtrackcollector.com/ down?  I went to look up what reissues had been done for Airport and it won't load.

Another option is that "series" doesn't mean literally a series of films that share character and plot, but have some other connection.  Like, "Goldsmith at Universal" or "[some famous director] at Universal" or something.

Or maybe some sort of loose series that had some entries at Universal, and some at other studios?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Psycho? 2 is already done, 1 the tapes are lost (?), do people want 3 and 4?

I read somewhere that the tapes to the first Psycho (whose score is vastly superior to that of Psycho 2), was being held ransom by Herrmann's widow. She wanted to sell it, and I think she demanded 50 or 100 grand for it. But there's recently been signs that the right people finally have gotten access to the tapes; there was a 2 track vinyl EP release in stunning sound this or last year. You can find an excerpt of it on YouTube.

I read a user's comment in the FSM board and I think they may be on to something...

I know it's not Universal BUT!...

It could just be the Indiana Jones anthology.  95% of the reaction to KOTCS was "meh" (movie, not music).  However, a release of all four movie soundtracks in C&C form could justify an article in Variety.  Plus, isn't Concorde's license on Indy over?

This could also put credence in the "one for the books" message!  Start it in reverse order like Superman, starting with KOTCS and ending on Black Friday with Raiders and Superman!!!!  I certainly don't believe LLL would have said this if they were just re-releasing the Superman blue box titles.

OK, time to wake up from that dream, it was fun while it lasted LOL

They weren't months apart.  litefoot from FSM summed it up nicely, including links to each MV quote so you can see the dates yourself

OK, for anyone who is still confused, here's a summary of LLL quotes concerning the mystery title.

28/5/18 In the thread titled 'What's going on with Universal Pictures?', MV makes one post:

"June 19 or July 5 something special is happening"

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=127102&forumID=1&archive=0

2/6/18 In this very thread, discussing the mystery June 19th title, he says:

"The other title is kinda frustrating...not because of the title itself (which some will find awesome, while others will think it's meh), but what it represents as a whole is what will get you guys drooling over. And until we can finalize a press release with the studio, we can't say anything about it. But trust me, the announcement is gonna be pretty special (and it should be considering it has taken 3 months just to finalize the the logo, the branding, the credits and the press release"

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=127160&archive=0

6/6/18 And later in the thread, he says:

"Lol. A question mark is just a question mark. Not a clue or a hint. Its going to be one of two titles. One has been approved (Fox title) while the other (Mystery title) is waiting on one last thumbs up. If the Mystery title gets final approval this week it's coming out on the 19th. If it's not approved it will be coming out on July 5 and the Fox title will take its place on June 19th. And NO the word mystery is not a clue!!!"

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=3&threadID=127160&archive=0

11/6/18 And from the LLL Facebook page:

"Well, we have some good news (especially for those who want to save on shipping). Due to vacations, approvals and the July 4th Holiday, we here at La-La Land Records have decided to forgo the June 19 and July 5 release dates and just release 3 titles on Tuesday, June 26! June 26 releases:
100 RIFLES / RIO CONCHOS - 2 CD SET - $24.98
MAN WITH ONE RED SHOE - $19.98
??? - $19.98
Sorry, but that last one is still a mystery. There will be a separate press release for this title and the series it represents as soon as the studio gives us the thumbs up on the PR! After that June 26 batch is released, our next batch will be out on Friday, July 13th followed by our final July batch of impossible missions on July 31st."

So definitively, we know it's $19.98 (so mostly likely 1 disc), it took "3 months just to finalize the the logo, the branding, the credits and the press release", "the announcement is gonna be pretty special", and "There will be a separate press release for this title and the series it represents as soon as the studio gives us the thumbs up on the PR", and "This Friday Variety will run the story.".

And logically, we can assume it is Universal, unless there was a massive coincidence and MV decided to talk about a different Universal title in that first thread, and then that title got delayed until July 31st or later and never had anything to do with the mystery title.

If it is a coincidence, my guess would instantly be Harry Potter, which I know they've been trying to do for some time. That would be big enough to rate a press release in Variety, I think. I'm with you on Airport being unlikely, since it's a pretty old franchise at this point. I'm really pretty stumped what it could be if it has to be Universal...I don't think The Mummy would rate the Variety treatment (also it's basically an abandoned/rebooted franchise), and besides that it would be a pretty short-lived "series" from LLL as I'm fairly certain Varese controls a couple of the scores. Hmmm...guess I'll just be patient until Friday. :)

Yavar

I would say that it could be Always since it would hit the following marks:

• $19.98 single disc
  • Universal title
  • "meh" factor
  • what it could represent as a whole to get us drooling over?  additional Spielberg / Williams titles?  :unsure: 

But, "special" wouldn't be a word I would use to describe it :lol:

What if the title is indeed Herrmann's Psycho, and "the series it represents" is not the other Psycho films, but other Herrmann scores?  Maybe the Herrmann estate worked out a new deal with LLL Records?

I'm not super familiar with his work; How much of it is unreleased?

A good amount of Herrmann's Universal work IS unreleased (including multiple Hitchcock scores at the studio)...maybe the estate has jumped ship from Stylotone and LLL worked something out with them instead?

Psycho, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, The Trouble With Harry, and of course whatever was actually recorded for Torn Curtain before the sessions were cancelled. Varese released re-recordings of some of these in the 90s, but the original tracks haven't been officially released.

What among those would rate a "meh" though? Maybe Marnie? The Trouble With Harry (though I love it)?

Yavar

Two other famous (but non-Hitchcock) Herrmann @ Universal scores are the original Cape Fear and Fahrenheit 451...though I think they have leaked unofficially, neither has received official releases from a specialty label as far as I know.

Yavar

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Cape Fear was released by Tsunami, which wasn't considered a bootleg label in Europe.

Yeah, Tsunami with their extreme noise removal...

Isn't Kritzerland related to Tsunami in some way?

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Cape Fear was released by Tsunami, which wasn't considered a bootleg label in Europe.

That's just because of different copyright laws. Technically legal where you live or not, Tsunami (and other similar "grey market" labels) *does not license titles* from the studios (and therefore does not work with them to get good elements, etc.) How did they get the tapes -- well, they were snuck out of the studio's vaults.

And no, Tsunami has no relation to Kritzerland at all. You're thinking Bay Cities perhaps, which was the previous label by Bruce Kimmel.

Yavar

13 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That's just because of different copyright laws. Technically legal where you live or not, Tsunami (and other similar "grey market" labels) *does not license titles* from the studios (and therefore does not work with them to get good elements, etc.) How did they get the tapes -- well, they were snuck out of the studio's vaults.

And no, Tsunami has no relation to Kritzerland at all. You're thinking Bay Cities perhaps, which was the previous label by Bruce Kimmel.

Yavar

There's nothing gray about releasing a recording which is in the public domain, even though it may not be in public domain elsewhere. As long as the releases are not sold where the recordings are still copyrighted, it's OK. And the elements used for such releases are often old LPs, or tapes gotten from the composers themselves or their estates. Of course, it's not OK to sneak out new copies from the studios' vaults. That's stealing.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm still yet to be convinced the third Mummy movie was an actual film released in theaters.  Prove it happened!

Actually attended the Dutch press premiere of that movie. Was convenient too, because I really like my adventure movies (which this is).

And the actual release was going to be a few days after I'd leave for a 5 month period at sea.

I never get to attend press premiers, so... fond memories! :P