The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Roger Ebert awarded THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR 3 out of 4 stars, so the flick can't be that bad.

One of 1000 reasons why I always ignore Ebert reviews.

If this is perhaps the first release in a new "Hitchcock at Universal" series rather than "Herrmann at Universal", then there are some other candidates to also consider, like Frenzy (I would spring for both the Goodwin AND rejected-but-recorded Mancini scores in a heartbeat!) But Varese already released Williams's Family Plot from Universal, so I'd have thought "Hitchcock at Universal" is already "started" as of several years ago. :)

Yavar

10 minutes ago, fommes said:

Maybe it's Dr. No :)

This would be nice except Universal has nothing to do with Bond!  It fits otherwise though.  Some people might say "meh" because it's the Monty Norman score, but with the promise of 60s Barry reissues to come.  If only.

4 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

It does now. Universal will now co-distribute the next movie.

Gasp!  But did the deal include rights to the old movies???

EDIT: The articles I see show MGM retaining North American distribution, Universal taking international.  I still don't think Universal would have any ownership or stake in the legacy titles.

Who even has the soundtrack rights to Dr. No?  I need help from somebody with more knowledge.

Here's an Amazon streaming version of the score with a copyright to somebody called Trunk Records, who I've never heard of

http://a.co/380NT77

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Who even has the soundtrack rights to Dr. No?  I need help from somebody with more knowledge.

Here's an Amazon streaming version of the score with a copyright to somebody called Trunk Records, who I've never heard of

http://a.co/380NT77

Who even cares about Dr No?

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Who even cares about Dr No?

Guess we can file you in the "meh" category..... but don't impose your views on others!  I want the specialty labels to work on every Bond score.

Three Blind Mice and Underneath the Mango Tree are all the music I remember after all these years except the theme, of course.

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

When will the mystery title be revealed again?

On 6/19/2018 at 9:00 AM, Jay said:

This Friday Variety will run the story. :)

MV

Also, is there anything substantial left to release from those very early Bond scores? So far, the OSTs have given me everything I wanted to have (my last movie being View to a Kill).

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Bond wouldn't make sense since they've already released Die Another Day. The promise of more to come is already there, and Arnold leaked that Tomorrow Never Dies is coming.

Yes I would've said Bond if DAD hadn't just happened.

Just like I'd have said JPIII if the box hadn't just happened.

Oh well, 2 days and this is all over....

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, is there anything substantial left to release from those very early Bond scores? So far, the OSTs have given me everything I wanted to have (my last movie being View to a Kill).

There's quite a bit missing from the Bahamian half of Thunderball and some nice but short cues  from FRWL and Goldfinger. IIRC, the only genuinely complete Barry Bonds are YOLT, OHMSS and DAF.

OHMSS is missing the Band music for Bond and Tracy reuniting, and the film version of the escape from Piz Gloria with tremolo strings

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

How many years has it been since a title with over 2,000 copies sold out in less than a week? A month?  Most stay in print for years now.

Honestly it’s depressing how few of us there are.

I really thought Cowboys and Small Soldiers would fly. 

Just now, Jay said:

I don't see anything up on Variety yet

https://variety.com/author/jon-burlingame/

Just to be safe, in case it isn't Burlingame after all (doubtful), I'd refresh this page:

https://variety.com/t/music-for-screens/

Of course if this is also part of a larger multimedia announcement, even that might not be the right place

I guess it missed the morning print edition.  Or, it's in the physical paper right now but not online

Or maybe Variety doesn't have a printed edition any more?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I guess it missed the morning print edition.  Or, it's in the physical paper right now but not online

Or maybe Variety doesn't have a printed edition any more?

Well it's also only like 5:30am in Los Angeles.  Patience!

I guess I didn't even think of Variety as a newspaper.  They certainly seem to be primarily a digital outlet now, like most of them.

EDIT:

I looked it up @Jay.  Variety ceased the daily print edition in 2013.  It's been a weekly magazine only since then in terms of physical product.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Variety ceased the daily print edition in 2013.  It's been a weekly magazine only since then in terms of physical product.

But which day of the week does the print edition come out?  Friday is more likely than any other day of the week I'd say.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

But which day of the week does the print edition come out?  Friday is more likely than any other day of the week I'd say.

Can't be completely sure, but judging by the dates here, Tuesday or Wednesday actually.  Kind of makes sense for reporting the previous weekend's box office stories or whatever.

https://variety.com/access-digital/

Hollywood and its people for some reason think they are somehow relevant in politics and people care about their stance.

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

Why do Variety and The Hollywood Reporter publish so many federal government stories these days? Aren't they meant to be niche trade publications about Hollywood entertainment?

I see precisely 0 stories on the front pages of both sites that are about the federal government

I have no idea when it will be posted. To be honest with you I haven't even read the article myself. Lol

MV