The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 1988 2 CD SET
MUSIC BY LALO SCHIFRIN AND RON JONES
LIMITED EDITION OF 1988 UNITS
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

ALBUM PRODUCED BY LUKAS KENDALL
LINER NOTES BY JON BURLINGAME
ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

This 2 cd set goes on sale July 31, 2018 at 12 pm pst

This message will self destruct in....

Spoiler

Image may contain: 5 people, people standing and text

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/a.181243738754.155532.56031953754/10156821273888755/?type=3&theater

6 hours ago, Wojism said:

I might have to accept that mission because I really like that 80s Ron Jones sound. 

Hell yes, me too!

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd prefer a 2 CD set of music from the original series.

I guess the 6 CD set was too much for you? Personally I wouldn't want to cut out any of it, considering it's covering seven long seasons of the show!

https://lalalandrecords.com/mission-impossible-the-television-scores-6-cd-box-set-limited-edition/

It's awesome. And up until yesterday you could've gotten it for 25% off too!

Yavar

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I guess the 6 CD set was too much for you? Personally I wouldn't want to cut out any of it, considering it's covering seven long seasons of the show!

https://lalalandrecords.com/mission-impossible-the-television-scores-6-cd-box-set-limited-edition/

None of the Benny Golson tracks are available to sample. :(

Somehow I can resist humming the main theme, awesome as it is, but every time another composer (whether it be one from the original series, or Elfman/Giacchino/etc. on the new films) adapts The Plot into their score, MAN, I really can't help humming along, it's true! :)

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

None of the Benny Golson tracks are available to sample. :(

Surely there's plenty more interesting stuff in the set to you besides just those tracks?

Yavar

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Surely there's plenty more interesting stuff in the set to you besides just those tracks?

Big fan of Schifrin (though I enjoy his non-media stuff more than his scores), but Benny Golson is responsible for some of my favorite pieces of music (chiefly "Along Came Betty"), and he retired from his usual scene to work on media composing for decades. This might be one of the first, if not the first time, any of his media work's been available.

MV, short of stating wait and see, is August and September still to be confirmed?

It's kinda funny...we have too many titles approved at this time so August is definitely locked and Sept is pretty much there as well. Some shifting is occurring as to not have too many releases in one month. We'll have an August flyer for sure on Aug 1.

MV

Because they have to make some money out of it themselves in order to keep existing? I have no problems with their prices at all, it's living in Europe that's the real issue.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wojo was joking, bolle

Back in the day, while NSB still posted here, I offered my arm and a leg for some files. He probably still remembers the story. 

3 hours ago, La La Land Records said:

No, customers aren't made of money and a title or two may get left in the dust if they are not spaced out. Why release 8 titles one month and nothing the next?

This is an unfortunate truth. I know if a ton of releases all came out at once that I wanted, my purchasing would still need to be spaced out.

I find it pleasant to look at the release slate, have a few titles and be able to budget for the ones that appeal within the month comfortably.

Thanks for taking that consideration guys.

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

This is an unfortunate truth. I know if a ton of releases all came out at once that I wanted, my purchasing would still need to be spaced out.

I find it pleasant to look at the release slate, have a few titles and be able to budget for the ones that appeal within the month comfortably.

Thanks for taking that consideration guys.

But it makes kinda sense to put releases together that are from the same composer, so that you don't have to buy one JW release every month, but for example three at once every third month. You know what I mean?

38 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

But it makes kinda sense to put releases together that are from the same composer, so that you don't have to buy one JW release every month, but for example three at once every third month. You know what I mean?

It would save on shipping, sure. There's always complications on how quickly things can be produced as well. Manufacturing, artwork etc.

It also works better to have a more consistent revenue / expenditure flow.

Whoah! Big group of releases there!

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the bonus - another track of Hymn to the Fallen which is identical to the two I've already got on the OST?

It's probably a remix.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

By Lorne Balfe.

No. Hans Zimmer, Benjamin Wallfisch, and Lorne Balfe with a few chords by Sir Edward Elgar.

Just now, crocodile said:

Dj Tiesto Trance Remix? ;)

Awww darn! They're just gonna stuff some He's a Pirate remixes on there!

What he said (Brundlefly).

And I'd probably be mildly interested in Jack Ryan if it had been composed by someone else. Djawadi is just about the least inspiring composer choice they could've made.

An expanded M:I Fallout as well? Koray's sermons that the score is only meant to work in the film really aren't holding up well right now.

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

If LLL continues like that, we'll very soon get our Always expansion that we made so many jokes about.:mellow:

Neither of those two John Williams titles justifies the "year for the books"-comment.:pfft: Nor does a Superman reissue.

Personally I'd be more likely to buy an expansion of Always than this....even if there were unreleased music I've never really liked this score (or film for that matter).

I'd much more jump at a new version of JFK, if we're talking patriotic trumpet-led JW scores...

Yavar