The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Just a random thought: Wouldn't it be great if LLL released Williams' War of the Worlds next month to coincide with the 80th anniversary of Orson Welles' radio drama? :)

Karol

14 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I’d be excited about The Thin Red Line

I'm rather surprised that Zimmer would approve of expanding this one, given how he's even more anal than JW about forming albums and that he nixed a Last Samurai expansion.

It's got some beautiful, stuff in it though - definitely in my top 3 Zimmer. Interesting to see how they've structured it.

Although I am not a huge Zimmer fan even I might be interested in Thin Red Line expansion. There are tons of alternate material in addition to the lengthy score. I guess it is the usual Terence Malick mo, to have the composer of any given project to write tons of music and then just choose the stuff he likes the best.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't like when people are mysterious with their posts instead of just saying what they want to say

It's learned behaviour from Facebook. It's called "Vaguebooking".

All I know is that Zimmer suppposedly didn't like remarks made by LLL about Tom Holkenborg's contribution/whatever he did for Dawn of Justice. I can't see MV speaking badly of any composer, though, as that wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective, even though BVS is crap.

Nobody at LLL would say anything bad about any working composer, that is ridiculous.

Since nobody else wants to bother to research I'll look up the exact quote about Last Samurai.  

And here it is:

We do have some Zimmer projects planned for 2014. I can tell you this -- it won't be any of his Batman scores or the Last Samurai though. Mr Zimmer is very happy with the current albums that are available and feels they do not need to be expanded in any way at this time.

MV

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=99892

On 9/13/2018 at 10:30 AM, Jay said:

Nobody at LLL would say anything bad about any working composer, that is ridiculous.

Mr Zimmer is very happy with the current albums that are available and feels they do not need to be expanded in any way at this time.

Well of course, they wouldn't say "Mr Zimmer sucks, and because we said that, he won't let us expand these scores", that's ridiculous. ;)

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

All I know is that Zimmer suppposedly didn't like remarks made by LLL about Tom Holkenborg's contribution/whatever he did for Dawn of Justice. I can't see MV speaking badly of any composer, though, as that wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective, even though BVS is crap.

It was on Facebook. I do recall that post, but I think it was in reference to Mad Max. 

21 hours ago, Jay said:

I assumed that bolle was referring to some sort of private comment that Zimmer didn't like. I'd agree that their public statements will always be cordial.

If what has been suggested did indeed happen, of course they're going to use another reason. I think it's actually rather naive to believe that everything written on a public forum is the complete record and that nothing else happened behind the scenes that might've been less cordial - as much as we like to think of them in the best light.

On 1/8/2018 at 3:44 PM, Holko said:

On 9/11/2018 at 9:28 AM, Jay said:

Looking back on this post, I do not believe any 4, 6 or 10 cd box sets have been released yet this year, correct?  I would venture a guess that "Pure Awesomeness" would be a JW HP 6cd box set, or an IJ 10cd box set!  What other possibilities could the box sets be?  My poor wallet...  🤣

Indiana Jones will not come out by La-La Land, or any other specialty label; Now that Disney has purchased Lucasfilm, any new expansions would exclusively come out on Disney Records

Yeah, Jaws is Universal Music but was released by Intrada in MM'd form. Has Disney set a precedent before for being greedy with its rights and doing everything themselves (in the soundtrack album world)?

I shudder for my finances if HP is a 6 CD set at once, also Children's Suite is not included then unless with Chamber of Secrets if it has barely any alternates, Azkaban won't be able to fit many alternates either, I think, even though it should have a couple.

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, Jaws is Universal Music but was released by Intrada in MM'd form

And Jurassic, which is one of Universal's biggest properties. Didn't we assume that a speciality label would never get to do it after the anniversary release?

With SS at the tiller of Indy, and his relationship with MM, it doesn't seem out of the question to me for a speciality label to do them. I don't understand why Jay is so insistent that it won't.

SW is a bit different as it's probably the biggest of them all, and expanded OT sets have been in the wild for years. But I don't think we're in an era when things are off the table just because they're owned by a mega studio.

54 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Excuse my ignorance, but why does that necessarily mean that Disney will do the expansions themselves? Couldn't they just ask LLL to do it if they wanted to?

If they wanted to, yes, of course they could.  But they won't want to.  They will want to release them as elaborate sets on their own label.

46 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, Jaws is Universal Music but was released by Intrada in MM'd form.

Apples and oranges.  Universal Music and Universal Pictures are separate entities that share a word in their name and a logo.  They are no longer under the same umbrella.  Disney Records is completely different, its still an entity of Disney corporate.

Has Disney set a precedent before for being greedy with its rights and doing everything themselves (in the soundtrack album world)?

Yes - just about every soundtrack ever for just about every film ever is released on their soundtrack labels, most notably the recent Disney Legacy line (or whatever it's called).  The only notable exceptions are the small amount of catalog releases to let's face it, their more obscure movies that they licensed out to Intrada.

Azkaban won't be able to fit many alternates either, I think, even though it should have a couple.

More than a couple - once the sheet music for Azkaban leaked, it was clear Azkaban has the most alternates out of all three scores.

41 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

With SS at the tiller of Indy, and his relationship with MM, it doesn't seem out of the question to me for a speciality label to do them. I don't understand why Jay is so insistent that it won't.

Multiple people in the industry have told me that now that Disney purchased Lucasfilm for $4bn and are spending millions making new SW movies, any SW expansions would only come out on Disney Records.  This is already evident by them choosing to first release Sony's digital remasters of the OT, then spending money to re-transfer all the elements for all 6 and have Shawn Murphy oversee rebuilds of the OSTs.  They aren't gonna now license out true expansions to a tiny (let's face it, all specialty labels are TINY compared to what Disney Records can do) specialty label.  It's a fact man, I'm sorry if you still don't believe me.

And - again - just because the label would be Disney Records and not LLL Intrada or Varese, doesn't mean they cannot hire MM to produce them, nor that if they did, that he wouldn't be allowed to give them the same treatment as he would any other JW score.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

Bring on the Ultimate Editions with music as it was heard in the film, edits and all!

How can you hear the music in the movie with all those laser blasts and alien screeching?

2 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Don't be surprised if Disney Records passes over MM in favour of one of their own producers, because industry politics and territoriality.

Oh I don't know. The Legacy Collection is a good example actually.

Karol

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

How can you hear the music in the movie with all those laser blasts and alien screeching?

You can't!

I'll only buy a Star Wars album ever again if either John Powell contributes or if Daisy Ridley sings the end credits song.

Can she sing? I don't know. I just want to get off on hearing her voice and fantasizing her smoldering beautiful smile supplying me with divine wet dreams after John Williams' snooze-inducing Belch of the Resistance puts me to sleep.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Multiple people in the industry have told me that now that Disney purchased Lucasfilm for $4bn and are spending millions making new SW movies, any SW expansions would only come out on Disney Records.  This is already evident by them choosing to first release Sony's digital remasters of the OT, then spending money to re-transfer all the elements for all 6 and have Shawn Murphy oversee rebuilds of the OSTs.  They aren't gonna now license out true expansions to a tiny (let's face it, all specialty labels are TINY compared to what Disney Records can do) specialty label.  It's a fact man, I'm sorry if you still don't believe me.

That's cool - I believe you :)

It's just that because you tend to have more contacts/information than most, it's hard to tell sometimes whether you're basing your statements on that information, or just speculating.