The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

As a Goldsmith nut I am OVER THE MOON about ARCHER! This is the first full Goldsmith premiere we've gotten in AGES. Yes Intrada recently gave us The Reincarnation of Peter Proud and back in 2014 Varese gave us The List of Adrian Messenger, but both of those scores had previously been released on bootlegs, even if they didn't sound as good as the subsequent official releases. But Archer has NEVER been released in any way shape or form, and it's not even clear whether Goldsmith maybe wrote more than one episode score for it (IMDb lists only episode 4, "Shades of Blue", while Jerry Goldsmith Online claims Jerry wrote just the theme and pilot score, which would make sense to do together). The series itself has never been commercially released and although one can find a couple episodes online in a different language, the pilot and episode 4 are not among them. So all I've heard of Jerry's work for this was his cool Main Title...

That's enough to get me jazzed for this!

Yavar

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Why would those things be related?

Only thing I could think that he could be referring to is Williams's Birthday being this month. But that still doesn't make sense

It’s not uncommon for a retailer/reseller to have leftover stock on an OOP title. Sometimes when titles sell out from the label like LLL or Intrada, people assume it’s sold out everywhere and stop looking for it.

Yavar

Wasn't it supposed to be a Black Friday release originally? I suppose out if respect for Nick Redman they didn't alter it?

Anyway...$60?!?

THE THIN RED LINE: 20th ANNIV. LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET)
LLLCD 1475
Music by Hans Zimmer
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $59.98

STARTS SHIPPING FEB 12

Order at www.lalandrecords.com starting 2/5 at 12noon (pst)

La-La Land Records, Fox Music, 20th Century Fox and Sony Music proudly present the 4 CD expanded and remastered reissue of renowned composer Hans Zimmer’s (DUNKIRK, INTERSTELLAR, THELMA & LOUISE), masterful original motion picture score to the 1998 epic WWII drama, THE THIN RED LINE, starring Sean Penn, Adrien Brody and Woody Harrelson, and written and directed by Terrence Malick. Having been present at the film’s scoring sessions, Reissue Album Producer for 20th Century Fox, Nick Redman, describes composer Zimmer’s score as, “…a gorgeous tapestry unfurling before us, shimmering majestically in the air… There were many moments where the score moved one to tears: the juxtaposition of music with image was so affecting.” Finally, this powerful and important score has been given a deluxe treatment worthy of its breadth and scope in a new presentation that is greatly expanded beyond its initial soundtrack release - with a bounty of never-before-released material. Discs 1&2 present the film score as written in chronological film order (Disc 2 also contains additional alternates), while Disc 3 features the remastered original 1999 soundtrack album and Disc 4 contains RCA’s album of Melanesian chants from the film. Produced by Neil S. Bulk and Mike Matessino, and mastered by Daniel Hersch, this special release, approved by the composer and Alan Meyerson (scoring mixer) features a 36-page booklet with a note from album producer Nick Redman and exclusive in-depth liners by writer Jeff Bond, including new comments from Zimmer. The elegant art design is by Dan Goldwasser. This is a limited edition of 3500 Units.

La-La Land Records dedicates this release in memory of producer Nick Redman (1955-2019).

TRACK LISTING

Disc 1 - The Film Score

Nature Montage  5:38

Witt With Melanesians  2:54

Witt In Brig / Tall And Quintard  8:27

Staros Below Deck  1:58

March Inland  8:21

Staros Prays  2:23

The Grass / Tall Calls Staros  3:27

Keck’s Death  4:47

Walsh Helps Tella  2:20

Staros Refuses Order  8:11

Bell’s Patrol  3:58

Bell Goes Alone  3:31

Welsh & Witt Talk  3:49

Gaff’s Party Leaves  3:17

Gaff’s Party Returns  2:04

Attack On The Bivouac (Long Version)  11:03

Total Disc 1 Time = 76:11

Disc 2 - The Film Score (Continued)

Staros Is Relieved  2:08

Tall Does Nails  1:22

Airfield – Bell Flashback  5:57

Marty’s Letter  3:42

Village Flashback  2:04

Witt Travels  5:48

Japanese Appear – Witt Chased  5:27

Witt Killed  2:15

Witt’s Funeral  5:17

Cemetery  4:48

End Credits  5:23

Concerto For Beam (Extended Version)  6:09

-written by John Powell, featuring Francesco Lupica
Total Score Time = 2:06:31

Additional Music

Keck’s Death (Alternate)  4:32

Gaff’s Party Returns (Alternate)  2:05

Attack On The Bivouac (Short Version)  8:05

Staros Is Relieved (Alternate)  3:06

Tall Does Nails (Alternate)  1:30

Witt Travels (Alternate)  6:43

Total Additional Music = 26:01
Total Disc 2 Time = 76:23

Disc 3 - The Original Soundtrack Album

The Coral Atoll  8:02

The Lagoon  8:41

Journey To The Line  9:17

Light  7:21

Beam  3:44

-written by John Powell, featuring Francesco Lupica

Air  2:21

Stone In My Heart  4:28

The Village  5:53

Silence  5:05

God Yu Tekem Laef Blong Mi  1:58

Sit Back And Relax  2:06

-written and performed by Francesco Lupica

“The Coral Atoll” and “Light” contain original adaptation of “Christian Race”, 
an American folk hymn
Total Disc 3 Time = 59:00

Disc 4 - Melanesian Choirs: The Blessed Islands – 
Chants From The Thin Red Line
1. Jisas Yu Holem Hand Blong Mi  1:23
2. Soon My Lord  1:17
3. God Yu Tekkem Laef Blong Mi  2:15
4. Early Morning At Tabalia  :29
5. Procession Chant 1  1:29
6. Procession Chant 2 (Kustom Tune)  :57
7. Holly  1:43
8. Procession Chant 3  1:05
9. We Love to Sing  3:41 
10. Mi Go Longway  2:53
11. Jisas, Masta Mi Save  3:00
12. Procession Chant 4  :38
13. Together Be  2:28
14. Sunday Service Hymn  1:45
15. Halleluia!, Sing To Jesus  1:32
16. Jesus, You Are Here  2:17
17. Bybye  2:36
18. We Are One Big Happy Family  2:32
19. Traditional Lullaby  2:19
20. Cho Cho Vancho  1:26
21. Remember  :57
22. God All Mighty  1:56
23. Jisas Yu Holem Hand Blong Mi  2:46
24. Pray For Us  2:11
25. Procession Chorus  3:19
26. Kyrie  3:03
Total Disc 4 Time = 52:01
Total Four Disc Time = 4:23:35

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND
LLLCD 1474
Music by 
RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

STARTS SHIPPING 2/5

Order at www.lalalandrecords.com, starting 2/5 at 12 noon (pst)

La-La Land Records, Royal Road Entertainment and Netflix proudly present three-time Academy Award-winning composer Michel Legrand’s (SUMMER OF ’42, THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR, ATLANTIC CITY) musical score to the acclaimed motion picture THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, starring John Huston and directed by Orson Welles. As producers Frank Marshall and Filip Jan Rymsza painstakingly completed this unfinished Orson Welles film, they came upon a note in the master filmmaker’s diary that indicated, “Call Legrand for the music.” And so the producers did just that, and maestro Legrand honored the great Welles’ request with a brilliant follow-up to his earlier effort for the director, “F for Fake.” With THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, Legrand weaves classical and jazz motifs into a score for both a Hollywood party and the experimental music for the “film within the film,” capturing Welles’ complex and experimental vision in a fitting final work of musical genius. Before his untimely passing in January 2019, Legrand personally chose the selections and sequencing for this album, which was produced and mastered by Mike Matessino in consultation with the filmmakers and Legrand’s associates. The CD booklet contains a personal note from the composer. The sleek art design is by Jim Titus.

La-La Land dedicates this album to the memory of Michel Legrand (1932-2019)

TRACK LISTING:

1 Chapter 1  4:10
2 Chapter 7  2:18
3 Les Délinquants (Opening Credits)  4:26
4 Chapter 3  2:28
5 Chapter 5  1:10
6 Chapter 15 (The Maze)  7:59
7 Chapter 4  3:13
8 Chapter 21 (Piano Duet I)  3:58
9 Chapter 19  7:00
10 Chapter 11  2:14
11 Chapter 9  3:51
12 Chapter 17  5:23
13 Chapter 23 (Piano Duet II)  2:34
14 Chapter 10  5:21
15 Chapter 25  1:38
16 Chapter 26  15:08

Total Time: 73:00

© 2018 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved

Karol

The disc compilation of TTRL is exactly as I suspected (see my previous post)! But, it's weird, they left quite some important music out. For starters, the source music is completely left out, that's essential for this score! Also, I'm curious how they edited the Cosmic Beam tracks 'McCron freaks', 'Snake in Grass', 'Sit back & Relax' into this mix. At first sight, it looks like a lot of cues are missing. I also doubt if most of the tracks are actual film mixes/edits. I'll have a more detailed look soon.

3 hours ago, StRuPiE said:

The disc compilation of TTRL is exactly as I suspected (see my previous post)! But, it's weird, they left quite some important music out. For starters, the source music is completely left out, that's essential for this score! Also, I'm curious how they edited the Cosmic Beam tracks 'McCron freaks', 'Snake in Grass', 'Sit back & Relax' into this mix. At first sight, it looks like a lot of cues are missing. I also doubt if most of the tracks are actual film mixes/edits. I'll have a more detailed look soon.

From what I understand about Malick, and hearing about his treatment of Horner's The New World, this set isn't going to be the place to go to hear what was in the film.

Luckily I've never seen the film so I wouldn't notice any mixing issues. Whether I buy this depends on whether the actual film score is as interesting as Zimmer's OST.

Also, is there anything by Badelt on this release? I have a beautiful track from a promo called 'Music for Films' apparently written for TTRL.

I wish they would stop using the phrase 'important score' in descriptions. Zimmer's already the most pretentious composer on the planet without that....

LLL is clearly emphasizing the 'Expanded' in this score release. They never mention 'Complete' or 'Film mix', which is a bummer. Even if it gets a deluxe treatment and is chronologically represented, that's not what most of us are looking for (those familiar with the bootlegs/sessions). But I'm afraid it's just that, the remastered sessions without any kind of editing or attempt at a film mix.

'Witt With Melanesians' is the Badelt cue, but not as heard as in the movie.

I don't think the labels ever really put "Film Mix" in the advertising, and we know for a fact (from employees I think, possibly MV himself said it on FSM?) that LLL intentionally goes for calling their releases "expanded" instead of "complete", because they know if they call it complete and 2 seconds are missing, some fanboy or many will call for their heads.

I'm not talking about the advertising, I'm talking about the tracks themselves. Look at the LLL Titanic release, some tracks are labeled (film version), so clearly someone edited it that way. That's completely missing in these tracks for TTRL... yeah, I know, my expectations are quite high.

9 minutes ago, StRuPiE said:

I'm not talking about the advertising, I'm talking about the tracks themselves. Look at the LLL Titanic release, some tracks are labeled (film version), so clearly someone edited it that way. That's completely missing in these tracks for TTRL... yeah, I know, my expectations are quite high.

Contractual obligations force LLL to call tracks the same as on the OST if the contents are the same as the OST track, like with Entry into the Great Hall and the Banquet which never actually contained the first part of the title on either release. If the content is different, extended or less or something, but the producer wants to call it the same as on the OST, the (film version) is nothing but an indication of that difference, like for example with Incident on Isla Nublar and Incident on Isla Nublar (film version).

If a label calls a track 'film version' then I expect it to be 'as heard in the film'. Sure, there can still be differences in film mix and edits, but bottom line is it should be as accurate to the film as possible.

It usually covers the take the composer intended to use in the film. Labels usually don't go around recreating looping, tracking and microediting, nor should they in most cases.

30 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, so... What is this release? Is it complete in the sense that it contains Zimmer's complete recorded material?

Nope. It's missing the wild takes from the sessions (not that I expected them to be included). I just hope that Zimmer's recording of "Annum per Annum" is included within "Nature Montage"

It's a complicated track. It starts with the 'Cosmic Beam drone' and segues into Pärt's 'Annum per Annum', overlayed with Zimmer's own recording ending in a crossover with Fauré's 'In Paradisium'. None of which are credited by LLL. So my guess is, it's just the track from the sessions without the source music.

54 minutes ago, StRuPiE said:

If a label calls a track 'film version' then I expect it to be 'as heard in the film'. Sure, there can still be differences in film mix and edits, but bottom line is it should be as accurate to the film as possible.

'Accurate to the film' is a tricky call, but I would essentially expect anything marked as 'film version' to be the exact take used in the film, prior to any meddling the music editors do. 

For simpler scores that's usually fine. In my book it's only cases where the film added/removed layers or instruments that it becomes a problem, and the track ceases to be the 'film mix'.

VALENTINE’S DAY HEARTBUSTER SPECIAL! 

Love is in the air – and in the scores at La-La Land! Save big on these great scores, all of which have a romantic thread beating within them…

ONLY $3 EACH! LOVE HAPPENS, WINGS, MY UNCLE RAFAEL and RESTLESS

ONLY $10 EACH! DEAD AGAIN, FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE , FIRST LOVE, WILD IS THE WIND (2-CD SET), THE STEPFORD WIVES, BIG TOP PEE WEE, THE EGYPTIAN (2-CD SET) and PEYTON PLACE/HEMMINGWAY AS A YOUNG MAN (2-CD SET)

ONLY $15 EACH! FIRST KINIGHT (2-CD SET), GIANT (2-CD SET), TWISTER, ROMANCING THE STONE, JEWEL OF THE NILE, DOCTOR DOLITTLE (2-CD SET), THE MAN WITH ONE RED SHOE, THE PRISONER OF ZENDA

ONLY $25 EACH! DANCES WITH WOLVES (2-CD SET)
Sale begins 2/5 at 12noon (pst) and runs through 2/18. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

BACK IN STOCK! 

BRAVEHEART: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), DIE ANOTHER DAY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND – 40th ANNIV LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (4-CD SET), WATERWORLD (2-CD SET), DAY OF THE DEAD (2-CD SET), DENNIS THE MENACE, FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON 4 (2-CD SET), KINGSMAN THE SECRET SERVICE, KINGSMAN THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

Twister and Dances with Wolves are must-owns, and a STEAL at those prices!

11 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

At least Titanic was $49.98. JP/TLW was $59.98 too though.

Titanic was priced lower because of the low quality density. So yeah, TTRL shouldn't be more than about $30.

:P

Finally a La-La Land e-mail gets through to me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN WILLIAMS FLASH SALE!

Celebrate the legendary maestro's birthday with the newly-back-in-stock
A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET)
at a special price of only $25 EACH!
This offer is good until 11:59 am (pst) on 2/9.
Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

That's a damn good offer, I'd probably jump on it even just barely knowing the score, if I lived across the puddle.