The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Soon, he'll start composing great music for shitty movies.

And grows a ponytail!

https://lalalandrecords.com/the-quinn-martin-collection-volume-1-cop-and-detective-series-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

This set is beyond awesome and sounds truly incredible. If you think about it, it's also really a wonderful bargain because it is essentially four TV score albums in one, plus exciting bonus themes. The two disc set is so packed that each of the main shows gets 31-39 minutes of music, even with the space taken by the bonuses! Many labels have put out standalone albums of around that length, for $20. Getting four of them for only $5 more is a total steal...and the music itself is overall excellent!

Any fan of Goldsmith, Broughton, Grusin, or Schifrin *needs* to pick this up, as they are all honestly at the top of their game, here. (I haven't listened to the Parker yet, but I'm also not particularly familiar with his music.) Since I am a fan of Patrick Williams, I will express some brief disappointment that he has only a theme represented here, when the musician credits in the back make it clear that he composed an entire pilot score. As noted in the other thread on this release, however, David Shire fans needn't fret because the cool main and end titles for Tales of the Unexpected, included here, are all he wrote...he scored no episode proper.

I knew I loved the Goldsmith Barnaby Jones pilot score already of course, but I was shocked at just how much I loved 70s Bruce Broughton, particularly track 18. I would LOVE for Barnaby Jones to get a follow up stand alone 2 CD release of additional scores from this series, like Intrada did for Then Came Bronson after FSM put out a full disc of Duning and Melle in their TV Omnibus. That was a single season show whereas Barnaby Jones was so popular it lasted for EIGHT seasons (the most popular Quinn Martin production perhaps, by that measure), so maybe LLL (or even Intrada?) would consider it after all three Quinn Martin Collections have come out and been wildly successful...(I hope?)

Aside from one other Bruce Broughton score, other exciting composers who scored at least one episode of the series include: Laurence Rosenthal, Tom "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" Scott, Jeff "Support Your Local Sheriff!" Alexander, oh and two episode scores by the legend Hugo FREAKIN' Friedhofer! There are also a bunch of familiar TV composer names in the mix like Tatro, Markowitz, Riddle, Drasnin, Parker, Rubin, Kane, Romanis, and others. Plenty of material worthy of a follow up release, IMO.

My only immediate wish regarding this set though is for nice individual covers, if anyone is up for making them. I've split all of these up into their own albums in iTunes (yes, even the theme-only things) and it would be fantastic if I could get custom album art to go with them! I know my buddy Brad Wills has already done some neat custom art for Barnaby Jones ages ago, but that could use a slight re-do in light of this new release not being Goldsmith only.

Anyone else get this badass set and care to comment?

Yavar

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

https://lalalandrecords.com/the-quinn-martin-collection-volume-1-cop-and-detective-series-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

This set is beyond awesome and sounds truly incredible. If you think about it, it's also really a wonderful bargain because it is essentially four TV score albums in one, plus exciting bonus themes. The two disc set is so packed that each of the main shows gets 31-39 minutes of music, even with the space taken by the bonuses! Many labels have put out standalone albums of around that length, for $20. Getting four of them for only $5 more is a total steal...and the music itself is overall excellent!

Any fan of Goldsmith, Broughton, Grusin, or Schifrin *needs* to pick this up, as they are all honestly at the top of their game, here. (I haven't listened to the Parker yet, but I'm also not particularly familiar with his music.) Since I am a fan of Patrick Williams, I will express some brief disappointment that he has only a theme represented here, when the musician credits in the back make it clear that he composed an entire pilot score. As noted in the other thread on this release, however, David Shire fans needn't fret because the cool main and end titles for Tales of the Unexpected, included here, are all he wrote...he scored no episode proper.

I knew I loved the Goldsmith Barnaby Jones pilot score already of course, but I was shocked at just how much I loved 70s Bruce Broughton, particularly track 18. I would LOVE for Barnaby Jones to get a follow up stand alone 2 CD release of additional scores from this series, like Intrada did for Then Came Bronson after FSM put out a full disc of Duning and Melle in their TV Omnibus. That was a single season show whereas Barnaby Jones was so popular it lasted for EIGHT seasons (the most popular Quinn Martin production perhaps, by that measure), so maybe LLL (or even Intrada?) would consider it after all three Quinn Martin Collections have come out and been wildly successful...(I hope?)

Aside from one other Bruce Broughton score, other exciting composers who scored at least one episode of the series include: Laurence Rosenthal, Tom "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" Scott, Jeff "Support Your Local Sheriff!" Alexander, oh and two episode scores by the legend Hugo FREAKIN' Friedhofer! There are also a bunch of familiar TV composer names in the mix like Tatro, Markowitz, Riddle, Drasnin, Parker, Rubin, Kane, Romanis, and others. Plenty of material worthy of a follow up release, IMO.

My only immediate wish regarding this set though is for nice individual covers, if anyone is up for making them. I've split all of these up into their own albums in iTunes (yes, even the theme-only things) and it would be fantastic if I could get custom album art to go with them! I know my buddy Brad Wills has already done some neat custom art for Barnaby Jones ages ago, but that could use a slight re-do in light of this new release not being Goldsmith only.

Anyone else get this badass set and care to comment?

Yavar

Not yet. But definitely getting this in my next order after your terrific review above!

image.png

So...I've finished listening to the entire set now and I'm curious how other folks might rate their favorites...here's my ranking:

1. Barnaby Jones -- any surprise that the lone Goldsmith item is at the top of my list? It's just a superb score, and if you love the theme it gets a LOT of fantastic workout and variation throughout. This is not Winter Kill where the great theme largely gets forgotten about in the score proper. And the early Broughton score is really excellent, too! I reiterate my wish for more of this series' scoring to be released. It was the longest lived (and therefore probably most popular) Quinn Martin production, so I really hope that after these three Quinn Martin volumes come out, the powers that be consider a standalone 2 disc set of additional Barnaby Jones scoring from the likes of Laurence Rosenthal, Jeff Alexander, and Hugo Friedhofer! (And of course that other Broughton score, to boot.) Something along the lines of Intrada's superb 2 disc Then Came Bronson follow up to the TV Omnibus compilation.

2. Bert D'Angelo, Superstar -- this is just a theme by Patrick Williams, but WHAT a badass theme! So addictive I put it on repeat and it sticks in my head for hours afterwards. This is also my #1 disappointment about this set, because if you look at the back of the booklet the musican credits make it clear that Patrick Williams composed a whole pilot score which I would have loved to hear more of...I'm not saying it had to be released complete but that theme just made me hungry to hear MORE (like some development of it!) Totally unexpected since I'd never heard of the show (and the title makes it sounds stupid, to be frank) but definitely my second favorite thing on the set.

3. Dan August -- this is my favorite kind of Dave Grusin...so energetic and engaging. The second score I think I like even better than the first. Really exciting stuff. Not quite on the level of his Assignment: Vienna from the TV Omnibus for me, but then I'm a total sucker for the cimbalom which is used prominently throughout that, making it in fact my #1 favorite Dave Grusin work!

4. Most Wanted -- this isn't *quite* Mission: Impossible, but it is still prime, feature-quality Lalo Schifrin work that will delight even his casual fans!

5. Tales of the Unexpected -- while this is a very cool and catchy David Shire theme, it doesn't have the listen-to-it-on-repeat-and-never-tire-of-it value that the Patrick Williams theme for Bert D'Angelo does. Very glad it was included though, as apparently it was Shire's only work for Quinn Martin.

6. Caribe -- this Nelson Riddle main title was maybe the most...different(?) thing on the set. It took me by surprise and I kinda like it.

7. Cannon -- I listened to this last of all, because I found John Parker's work on the two Assignment: Vienna scores he wrote to pale in comparison to the much more stylish, energetic, and unique work on that series by Dave Grusin. What he wrote wasn't bad, but it was more serviceable that memorable and striking. Well...Cannon is a bit more memorable because of the tuba use I guess, but I'm still not wild about it. There *are* occasional highlight cues throughout both of his scores on this set, but personally I think a 12 minute selection of highlights from both scores would have been sufficient to cover his contribution, and I would have much preferred that space get used up by the Patrick Williams pilot score mentioned above.

8. The Manhunter -- This Duane Tatro main title was fine but I didn't find it memorable. I'm rating it last because at least the highlights of Parker's Cannon work stood out a bit more to me.

In conclusion: BUY THIS SET, people!

Yavar

User raferjanders over at the end of the FSM “Custom Covers II” thread has provided some absolutely dynamite HQ custom covers for the four main shows represented by the Quinn Martin set... they look great next to each other in my iTunes — head on over and grab ‘em for yourselves!

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=132899&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=13&r=723#bottom

Yavar

CE6802F7-E50D-4A58-BACA-020BB0EAC66B.png

La-La Land is having a Bear McCreary sale, and has announced a bunch of titles are finally back in stock including Titanic and Alien 3.

Here are the highlights, a link to read the entire newsletter is below

BEAR McCREARY AUTOGRAPH EXCULSIVE! 

La-La Land Records has been allotted 240 autographed units of Bear McCreary’s THE PROFESSOR AND THE MADMAN. Once they are sold out, they are gone for good!

Check out another awesome Bear McCreary autographed exclusive CD, THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX – on sale now, for only $10 EACH! Sale price starts 5/14/19 at 12 noon (pst) 

GOING OUT PRINT! 

Get McCreary’s fantastic CAPRICA THE SERIES (2-CD SET) at a special price of only $15 EACH – less than 100 units of this title remain before it’s out of print.

Also – McCreary’s TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES is only $5 EACH and less than 60 units remain before it’s out of print.

MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE THE TELEVISION SCORES (6-CD BOX SET) is also going out of print – get yours now!

ROSEMARY’S BABY and THE ADDAMS FAMILY are going out of print forever. Get yours now, while you still can, at the incredible price of only $5 EACH!

BACK IN STOCK!  
DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION (4-CD SET), TITANIC: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET),  ALIEN 3: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), DIE ANOTHER DAY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (4-CD SET), WATERWORLD (2-CD SET), DAY OF THE DEAD (2-CD SET), DENNIS THE MENACE, FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON 4 (2-CD SET), KINGSMAN THE SECRET SERVICE, KINGSMAN THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-12hwbb--kt1mj-ag4f6q5

“25% OFF MEMORIAL DAY BLOCKBUSTER SPECIAL” ON NOW!!!!

WE ARE TAKING 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! At checkout, 25% will be deducted from your purchase price! (Applies to in-stock items only and excludes THE SENTINEL) Offer expires on 6/3/19.

I still have money left on the gift certificate I bought for 25% off last year so if I used that I'd effectively be getting 50% off.  Too bad I already own everything I care to own of what LLL currently has in print.

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

Does this 25% apply to gift certificates, like last year?

I just tested and it looks like they've fixed the loophole.  I got all the way to the PayPal authorization before cancelling and the amount on the certificate had not gone down by 25%.

EDIT: I just tested adding an actual CD to my cart and the same thing happened.  No discount by the time I get to PayPal authorization.  I don't want to test going past that because I don't want to accidentally buy something.  Is there a discount code I'm supposed to put in?

1 hour ago, Romão said:

Does this 25% apply to gift certificates, like last year?

42 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I think something went wrong.  I had a few things added earlier that showed the discount, and when I went to check out the discount was gone.

The 25% off discount is working now

And sadly, it does not apply to gift certificates :( 

image.png

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

The last time, they decided to the apply the discount also to gift certificates after several popular titles sold out.

Oh yeah I forgot about that detail.

According to this new press release MV just posted, it is supposed to work on gift certs

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS MEMORIAL DAY SPECIAL MAY 21, 2019

25% OFF MEMORIAL DAY BLOCKBUSTER SALE ON NOW!!!!

Celebrate with us and take 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE at www.lalalandrecords.com *

* EXCLUDES “THE SENTINEL” 
* Applies to IN-STOCK TITLES ONLY
* 25% OFF DOES APPLY TO GIFT CERTIFICATES (SO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT DEAL FOR OUT OF STOCK ITEMS YOU CAN PICK UP LATER)

At checkout, 25% will be deducted from your entire purchase amount.

THIS OFFER EXPIRES JUNE 3, 2019 at 11:59pm (pst) 
– only at www.lalalandrecords.com

GOING OUT PRINT! 

Get McCreary’s fantastic CAPRICA THE SERIES (2-CD SET) at a special price of
only $15 EACH – less than 50 units of this title remain before it’s out of print.

ROSEMARY’S BABY and THE ADDAMS FAMILY are going out of print forever. Get yours now, while you still can, at the incredible price of only $5 EACH!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

According to this new press release MV just posted, it is supposed to work on gift certs

Still not working as far as I can tell

In the FSM thread, MV posted

The gift certificate situation as been resolved

But then a guy replied

The discount is applied only if there is a CD also in the basket. 

The total discount is removed when the CD is removed.