The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

So apparently the 25% discount doesn't apply to shipping, which is certainly sucky for international buyers.

However, wouldn't purchasing a gift certificate at 25% off then using said gift card to pay for a CD + shipping achieve the desired result? Or can gift cards not be used to pay for shipping?

And what happens with any outstanding amount on a gift card if you only use, say, $100 of a $200 gift card?

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

However, wouldn't purchasing a gift certificate at 25% off then using said gift card to pay for a CD + shipping achieve the desired result? Or can gift cards not be used to pay for shipping?

With a gift card, you only get the discount on the items.

Edit: I was wrong, you're right ( just checked my last order).

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And what happens with any outstanding amount on a gift card if you only use, say, $100 of a $200 gift card?

Then you keep your gift card code and use it again until it's empty.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

With a gift card, you only get the discount on the items.

But wouldn't you still have a $200 gift card that you only paid $150 for? Does the system somehow know it was a discounted gift card when you attempt to use it for shipping costs?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then you keep your gift card code and use it again until it's empty.

Good to know, thanks man.

Just now, crumbs said:

But wouldn't you still have a $200 gift card that you only paid $150 for? Does the system somehow know it was a discounted gift card when you attempt to use it for shipping costs?

See my edit. :)

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There really isn't an in stock CD at LLL I care enough about to buy right now.  I'll keep saving my existing gift cert for higher profile releases and hope they fix this issue with the current sale so I can stock up even more for the future!

EDIT: You weren't referring to the bug where the gift cert is only discounted when a CD is also in the cart, were you?

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

See my edit. :)

Ah hah, so it is a loophole! A bit weird they'd exclude shipping costs from their 25% discount if you can just get around it by using a gift card purchased with a 25% discount...

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

EDIT: You weren't referring the bug where the gift cert is only discounted when a CD is also in the cart, were you? 

Nope, but I saw that's an issue on FSM. Guess I'll have to wait until they fix it before purchasing a gift card.

I assume you're just sent a digital voucher to your email address? Never purchased an LLL gift card before. Great way to save money though, because likewise there's nothing I really want to buy currently (but with our plummeting Aussie dollar, it's become way too expensive for me to buy from LLL post-Potter, sadly).

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I assume you're just sent a digital voucher to your email address? Never purchased an LLL gift card before. Great way to save money though, because likewise there's nothing I really want to buy currently (but with our plummeting Aussie dollar, it's become way too expensive for me to buy from LLL post-Potter, sadly).

Yeah you get a code that you have to hang onto.  I created an email folder just for it so I'd always have quick access.

This issue got me to make a rare FSM post.  It had been close to a year I think.

46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Ah hah, so it is a loophole! A bit weird they'd exclude shipping costs from their 25% discount if you can just get around it by using a gift card purchased with a 25% discount...

That's not the only loophole. You can first buy the gift card, and then use it to pay for the sale items, giving you a total item discount of 44%!

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's not the only loophole. You can first buy the gift card, and then use it to pay for the sale items, giving you a total item discount of 44%!

Well that's very economical indeed! A shame you can't get the discounted gift card without spending big on an initial purchase though. Maybe I could just order their cheapest bargain-basement CD and post it to some random address in LA? :)

Imagine some random person checking their mail and finding some unsolicited package from LLL, with some awful score inside? It might just make their day!

MV responded to me on FSM with this:

We can't fix it and this will be the last time we are able to do this. Its not us, it's the other vendors that use our shopping cart software that complained about this situation. They didn't like the glitch in the system and too many customers complained that those sites were not honoring the discount code so the software firm decided to nix the whole thing. However we found another glitch that you can take advantage of in the meantime before their programmers take that out of their shopping cart system as well.

Just be thankful you got away with it last July and can still take advantage of it right now.

MV

You can buy one of their $5 releases for like $3.50.  Addams Family is a good one.  It's not ideal, but think of the cash savings later with those gift cards.

I'm gonna jump on it tomorrow once I get paid.  I have two $5 discs in my cart and I'm gonna actually do the gift card thing this time.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder if they'll get Superman back in stock before the sale is over. Probably not.

Just buy a gift certificate. 

I picked up King Cohen, The Professor And The Madman, and a $150.00 gift card for less than $150. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Just buy a gift certificate. 

I picked up King Cohen, The Professor And The Madman, and a $150.00 gift card for less than $150. 

I'll do that, probably together with Kilar's Dracula.

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Damn so I can't get a gift certificate without spending some dollars in a cd ... With 15$ shipping fees I don't think it is worth it for me :(

Depending on much you were looking to spend, it is. 

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Damn so I can't get a gift certificate without spending some dollars in a cd ... With 15$ shipping fees I don't think it is worth it for me :(

You can get a single sale CD that's normally priced at $5 or even $3. Then even with the shipping fees you're getting a great deal.

Yavar

Damn, I was going to get Home Alone 1 and 2 when I had the chance! 

On 6/4/2019 at 11:01 PM, bollemanneke said:

No, I just checked, Home Alone isn't back in stock. Maybe they sold a bunch of them because of that promotion. How many of us actually ordered it on Christmas?

Schindler on vinyl is just the OST. Very good choice, I was afraid they might include the six bonus tracks. I'm only starting to invest in vinyl again when they release the Home Alone 2 OST, though.

WILLIAMS / SPIELBERG VINYL LP SPECIAL!

To celebrate our premiere vinyl LP release of SCHINDLER’S LIST, we are offering our other classic John Williams/Steven Spielberg vinyl LP titles E.T. and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN at the special sale price of $30 EACH. Sale price starts on 6/11 at 12 noon (pst), good thru 6/24.
Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

GOING OUT PRINT! 

The last pressing in the JONNY QUEST limited edition 2-CD SET is now in stock... but not for long! When they are gone, they are gone for good… so get yours now while supplies last!

ROSEMARY’S BABY and THE ADDAMS FAMILY are going out of print forever. Get yours now, while you still can, at the incredible price of only $5 EACH! 

BACK IN STOCK! 

DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION (4-CD SET), TITANIC: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET), STAR TREK 50th ANNIV COLLECTION (4-CD SET), THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (2-CD SET), DIE ANOTHER DAY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (4-CD SET), DAY OF THE DEAD (2-CD SET), DENNIS THE MENACE, FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON 4 (2-CD SET), KINGSMAN THE SECRET SERVICE, KINGSMAN THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

Yea I'd imagine Neil Bulk is doing it since he has established a very good relationship with Arnold after DAD and TWINE, so it should be up to his usual standard of excellence and finally include everything recorded in a 2CD set.  Can't wait!

June 25th

X Files Season 11 2 cd set
$24.98
Limited edition of 3000 units
NO autographs

Courtesy of Sparks and Shadows
Child's Play music by Bear McCreary
$15.98
360 autographed units exclusive to La-La Land Records website

See ya then!

MV