The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I'm guessing JW's finally greenlighted The Sugarland Express for a 45th anniversary release, probably with another JW/Spielberg score included, to take focus away from the score that JW considers unworthy of a release. That other score will be the 30th release of Always. You heard it here first!

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Pass, pass.

You need to broaden your horizon, Bolle! :) If you like, I'll send you a free "evaluation" copy.

21 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I try to discover two new scores every week. Sadly, the movies I choose to watch for that purpose are mostly made in the 2000s.

Don't tell me you're allergic to older movies!

Yeah, the usual " 3/4" and 1" tapes" explanation from Mike isn't always the most helpful if you don't know your way around the formats or don't know which one the venue used at the time for 1st gen.

HP1 was remastered by creating a fresh new high res transfer from the original 1st gen analog audio tapes that ran through the machines at the recording studio in 2001.

HP2 and HP3 were not, because the existing digital archives were already high res and 5.1 (HP1's 2001 digital master was only 44.1 kHz) 

BATMAN '89 FLASH SALE! Tim Burton and Danny Elfman's BATMAN has turned 30 and we're celebrating right now with 30% OFF our amazing DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION (4-CD SET)! Get yours now for only $35 EACH! Offer expires 11:59am (pst) on 6/24.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

HP2 and HP3 were not, because the existing digital archives were already high res and 5.1 (HP1's 2001 digital master was only 44.1 kHz) 

Out of interest, do you know if Mike edits and masters his expansions in high resolution 5.1, before converting to stereo for CD release? I'm guessing it depends on the score and the quality of masters at their disposal (ie, something like The Lost World would be constrained to stereo because, from memory, that release was constructed using 1/4" stereo masters after the multi-track masters were found shedding, IIRC).

Guess I'm just curious if it's possible for labels to re-release some scores in high resolution surround sound in the future.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Out of interest, do you know if Mike edits and masters his expansions in high resolution 5.1, before converting to stereo for CD release?

Of course he does! What a silly question. 

1 hour ago, The Original said:

I hope it's The Comancheros. I missed the FSM.

Already been reissued with better sound, in a superb bargain three-fer from Kritzerland. It says sold out but I bet if you email Bruce Kimmel he’d have a spare copy to sell you at original price (he always holds back a few extras as replacements for those lost/damaged in shipping):

http://www.kritzerland.com/johnWayne_Fox.htm

Yavar

1 hour ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Well, we all know DuckTales is your only grail.

That is true. At least I can just download an expanded Hook if it comes out. Lock me up if I'm going to buy it again. You guys keep this dead end soundtrack industry on life support.