The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

What occurred to me is Mike's comment about 'having an idea' to convince Williams to release The Sugarland Express. I wonder... what if he approached Williams and said he wanted to celebrate their milestone release with his first Spielberg collaboration? The premiere release of an entirely unreleased film score, already scanned and assembled in preparation for the Heritage Collection (before Williams pulled the plug). Would the honour of that milestone be enough to secure Williams' approval, given how many of his scores LLL and Mike have now remastered?

Interesting idea, but I don't see why the 500th release would be so delayed then.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just a thought. I can't imagine what else Mike's idea was, other than bundling the score alongside Always in a 2CD anniversary set (45th and 30th respectively).

I said it first!

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

So I haven't been keeping up at all: are we expecting the announcement soon, this month, or... just… at some point?

They will announce it at the same time as it goes on sale next Tuesday. Same time as usual.

Karol

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So I haven't been keeping up at all: are we expecting the announcement soon, this month, or... just… at some point?

On 7/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, Jay said:

Oh, and about that release #500?  MV just posted this:

Coming next Tuesday

Can't wait!

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=135424&forumID=1

Surely LLL haven't managed to cut a deal with Disney for the Star Wars OT... surely...

Not even Williams has enough clout to make that happen.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Also:

Okay, so... it isn't a Mike Matessino release. Or it's a release so big that Mike recruited other producers to help? Seems unlikely... so considering Williams only wants Mike handling his catalog, we can deduct this isn't a Williams score.

And if it was, it could only be a "huge" Williams release like SW or Indy, and definitely not a single score release like Always, Hook or Sugarland.

If it's not Williams or Elfman, I can't think of anything LLL would consider "big/huge" that I'd be interested in.  A few months ago, Ghostbusters would have done it, but...

For the sake of my wallet, I hope it's some Goldsmith or Star Trek thing.

Hmm, so Neil S. Bulk assisted Mike with the remastering on the Superman release... so maybe my theory about "a release so big Mike needed assistance" isn't as outlandish as I thought...

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores will only come out from Disney Records.  Sorry!

... or not.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

For the sake of my wallet, I hope it's some Goldsmith or Star Trek thing. 

Neil S. Bulk did some huge 15 disc Star Trek box set years ago, so I'd put money on something related. Probably some Horner or Goldsmith box set for whichever movies they scored.

The only other big thing to get me excited would be The Elliot Goldenthal Batman Collection. With updated/fixed Forever. But that is highly unlikely for many reasons.

Karol

I'd definitely buy Batman and Robin, although my guess is I'd be fairly disappointed in its similarities to Forever - but at this point I've ruled it out as a possibility.

I'd love a Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy on a 7CD set too (final disc devoted to all the late changes on film 2 and 3) That would be huge...and probably won't happen.

Karol

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Um...no question there. Absolutely. 

Ironically, there won't be any opportunity for hype of a Star Wars trilogy set under Disney Records. It'll just appear in a listing on Amazon randomly one day.

Such a shame one of the smaller labels won't have a chance to work on those scores, where they can be handled with love and care. We won't have any of that fun anticipation in the lead-up to an announcement date; it'll just drop when we're not expecting it.

Nah, the demasters were announced via a big press release on StarWars.com.  No reason to think expanded editions wouldn't go the same way

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Ironically, there won't be any opportunity for hype of a Star Wars trilogy set under Disney Records. It'll just appear in a listing on Amazon randomly one day.

Such a shame one of the smaller labels won't have a chance to work on those scores, where they can be handled with love and care. We won't have any of that fun anticipation in the lead-up to an announcement date; it'll just drop when we're not expecting it.

You… don't want them to just be available? You actually want the maddening wait and hype? To each his own.

Also, why is it so important that LLL do SW or Indy? I'm convinced Matessino will do them anyway, so I'm not too worried about that… (please, let this one be Hook…)

Because with LLL we'd be guaranteed pristine quality control, a beautiful release and all the right people working on it. Shawn Murphy was involved with the demasters, but only the premixing phase, the rest was done and messed up by noname hacks. With Disney or any other big company owning all the rights by accident or not, we have no precedent for anything this size, who knows how much they'd let one person perfect it without meddling in it.

Also, @crumbs, Neil helping in with a Mike release... like with Supes... because Mike is busy... doing other big things... for Disney, perhaps? ;)

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

If that is the case, which it may not be theoretically (as Jay has pointed out), that'd be kind of odd. Such a surprise would kill a lot of hype and anticipation, which actually provides half of the excitement for these releases, believe it or not. I mean, just look at the days leading up to LLL's Black Friday announcement this year. It was nuts! And the payoff that fulfilled the bubbly excitement heightened everyone's excitement! It's a far more enjoyable way to go about it.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

You actually want the maddening wait and hype? To each his own.

Um...yeah! The announcement of the maddening wait and hype's payoff is all the more exciting and fulfilling that way!

JW also has people and he wants MM to do everything. Also, Disney might do them digitally so we could finally stop worrying about enough discs.

And if Disney reads reactions to their products, don't you think they'll have noticed we all hate the recent demasters?

Finally, I no longer believe that the 'big executives' care about music. Look at WB and Harry Potter. That set hasn't even sold out yet either! Nobody cares about film music except fans, so I can't see any higher-ups interfearing when someone like MM is involved anymore.

15 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I can't see any higher-ups interfearing when someone like MM is involved anymore. 

Maybe not for the first two SW trilogies but the third? All that unreleased music is really expensive due to the new licensing fees, especially if Mike fights to release all of it (200 minutes of unreleased score for TFA and TLJ alone, with TROS indeterminate).

With luck, Disney Records is large enough to disregard such costs and focus on the prestige of the property. It would be interesting to know how much they make from streaming/digital releases of the two scores thus far. It could be many millions for all we know, even after JW's percentage, which means it could be highly profitable.

I could easily live with Disney releasing it themselves if the mastering and decisions for the music itself are handled by Matessino, given his work and the trust placed in him by Williams.

Even if they are bare bones, hardly any liner notes, and simple artwork (Teaser posters, or original LP covers with track listings on the back), I would be happy, given that it's really the music at the heart of it.

The ideal of La-La Land Records doing it with Jim Titus artwork, and a presentation on par with the Superman and Harry Potter releases (and Close Encounters, and E.T. ... and on and on ...) is a pie-in-the-sky pipedream.

Yea, I have no clue if Matessino/Williams could convince Disney to use Titus or not, if they could insist on a booklet with a liner notes or not, etc etc.  All that would be great, but a properly edited and complete music program is far more essential imo.