The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

existing releases that didn't transfer the tapes at the correct speed and used the wrong takes throughout. :sarcasm:

And put only two thirds of the material on there, yanking random bits onto a separate disc, shitting all over how it was all supposed to flow and which cues were written to be joined and flow as one, keeping mindbogglingly bad OST edits...

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

If LLL got to do an Indiana Jones box set, this board would go into meltdown.

HP didn't cause a meltdown either and I'm pretty sure whatever they releease will not be as big as HP. And that's okay.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

And put only two thirds of the material on there, yanking random bits onto a separate disc, shitting all over how it was all supposed to flow and which cues were written to be joined and flow as one, keeping mindbogglingly bad OST edits...

It was obviously the best that could be done.

You don't think the problem was an incompetent producer who clearly didn't know or care that much about what he was doing? I am completely unfamiliar with the quality of this box set, but it sounds like it makes the 2012 Hook expansion look extraordinary.

The Concord box definitely wasn't the best that could be done with those scores.

It was a product of its time, when JW was uncomfortable with adding additional music to his albums, and also the person doing the tape transfers apparently not knowing what they were doing. (pitch problems)

Surely in practical terms, there's nothing that makes them more difficult to expand than any other scores during the 80s. But it's Indy, which brings all sorts of complicated baggage and pretentiousness.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

For two or three minutes of unreleased music and - hopefully - a few corrections? I mean, seriously.

A complete Indiana Jones box set would definitely be more than just a bottlecap. It would still have more unreleased music than... an expanded U.S. Marshals.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Not that again...:sarcasm:

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

You don't think the problem was an incompetent producer who clearly didn't know or care that much about what he was doing? I am completely unfamiliar with the quality of this box set, but it sounds like it makes the 2012 Hook expansion look extraordinary.

The Indy boxset has a really messed up tracklist in my opinion, but I’m not familiar with the LLL Hook expansion: what exactly is missing/wrong in it?

42 minutes ago, redishere said:

The Indy boxset has a really messed up tracklist in my opinion, but I’m not familiar with the LLL Hook expansion: what exactly is missing/wrong in it?

Missing score, film stem is sometimes used instead of the tapes, missing OST material, unchronological etc.

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Missing score, film stem is sometimes used instead of the tapes, missing OST material, unchronological etc.

The La La Land Records expansion was just a warm up. We haven't seen nothing yet  ! :D

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They included Banning back home and all the stupid songs.

Funny thing is, I consider Banning Back Home a (not so) guilty pleasure of mine. I find its Grusin-esque sound cringeworthy, but that track is always a fun listen, at least for me, and I think it really conveys the cookie cutter quality of Peter’s boring, corporate, yuppie lifestyle.

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Wow. Isn’t it weird for a LLL release? I mean, quality-wise.

Banning Back Home film version was one of the best tracks on the La-La Land CD because it wasn't even on the bootleg. It's a wonder it was included.

20 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Banning Back Home film version was one of the best tracks on the La-La Land CD because it wasn't even on the bootleg. It's a wonder it was included.

It's on the OST, unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's elevator music.

No, it's more like Weather Channel local forecast music. For the record, however, it does underscore an elevator scene. It's JW going back to his roots, imitating a temp track or not. You can hear the evolution of JW music in the Hook score!

If it doesn't happen, I'll have to buy the 2012 edition or the OST, neither of which deserve to be on my shelf, so they'd better deliver or no amount of clapping will bring them back from where I will send them.