The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

There'd have to be a LOT of alternates that didn't make either boot for it to be worth it for them to fill up 3 discs. You can already fit the entire score plus all the alternates we've ever heard on 2 discs

If there were a lot of alternate cues I could see it being a 3-CD set. Chances are though it might be music from a TV show for the 3-CD set.

I wouldn't mind getting Masters Of The Universe either Greg. I remember the show but I was too young to remember the music since I wasn't into film scores back then.

A 2-CD set is set for late June/early July but it was announced by someone else all ready that it would be Masters Of The Universe by Bill Conti and La La Land confirmed it.
I'll settle for Masters of the Universe!

Ditto.

A newly remastered 2CD set of Masters of the Universe!? Excellent!!!! :mellow:

Isn't that the one filled with Holst references?

Yes, it does reference Mars in certain cues, and it's all the better for it. A worthy 4 star offering from Conti. ;)

Don't confuse it with The Right Stuff however. Conti actually lifted large sections of Holst's material note for note in that score as a homage to The Planets, with permission from the composer's estate.

Oh right Mark, I forgot about that thread... sorry.

Neil or Marc you can delete this one or merge it with the other one, my bad.

I've already said it... I'll say it again!

A newly remastered 2CD set of Masters of the Universe!? Excellent!!!! :jump:

A worthy 4 star offering from Conti. It's easily my favourite score by him. I've listened to the original and 1992 expanded albums so many times I loose count, I know the score like the back of my hand. It's going to be a blast to finally be able to listen to the music without all that hissy interference. :nod:

I also did it on the Other Topic board with two identical threads, my god I'm turning into Thor!!!! :jump:

But seriously, the 3 disc will be autographed by the composer so Spartacus is out of the question and people over at FSM seem to think it's gonna be the Batman animated series in some form, which sadly, would be hard to get the composer's signature as well. Unless Shirley Walker autographed it a over a year ago.

I'm curious about the 3 disc set.

We've merged!!!!

It looks like LaLaland has eight scores they are going to try and get out before Labor Day.

This is the moment I have been waiting for fellows: a kingly score by Conti, the Masters of the Universe soon within our grasp! You ought not to hesitate in this case, easily the best score by Conti and top 5 score of all time which defined my film music listening in my childhood.

When I saw this film the musical aspect permeated my mind above all and I was not able to think but one thing: to acquire this film in order to listen the score. It was my first boost to the cinematic music and great impact it did too.

I must buy this no doubt. Great news.

Better than Rocky?

Definitely. Rocky is good, whilst overrated. I personally happen to loathe disco originated music with every ounce of my being. That watered down type of 70's funk which Rocky is littered with. For Your Eyes Only... *shudders*

I really like the piano writing though, and the sweeping theme that I associate strongly with the scene in which

Mickey dies

in Rocky III.

Better than Rocky?

Definitely. Rocky is good, whilst overrated. I personally happen to loathe disco originated music with every ounce of my being. That watered down type of 70's funk which Rocky is littered with. For Your Eyes Only... *shudders*

Can't say I agree.

Better than Rocky?

Better indeed. Actually I do not care much for the Rocky stuff. He has done much better music.

Isn't the 3-disc release supposed to the 70th release? When B:TAS first came up (not just Shirley Walker, but B:TAS specifically), LaLaLand posted that "this summer is going to be so awesome." Now, in the actual post that the three April releases were originally mentioned in also said to set aside at least $100 for a set of releases that are going to be ridiculously, make-your-head explode awesome this summer. I believe at least one or two of these are B:TAS.

When is TMotU actually coming out? I was just looking at La La Land Records webpage and there's no mention of that score. :) Also, does anybody have any idea to how many copies it will be limited? Probably 3000?

Better than Rocky?

Can't say I agree.

I don't either.

Maybe I'll have to give MOTU a listen. It sounded terrible when I saw the film. Then again, it was attached to that film.

Maybe I'll have to give MOTU a listen. It sounded terrible when I saw the film. Then again, it was attached to that film.

Masters of the Universe is a fun film, nothing earth shattering nor does it try to be. I'm amazed it wasn't the complete car wreck that was Superman IV considering it was also helmed by Golan-Globus. This is the very picture that was primiraly responsible for its budget cuts.

The thing is Masters of the Universe had another little special someone on its side which Superman IV unfortunately didn't when it came to the visual effects... Richard Edlund.

As for the score, if you remember it sounding terrible upon viewing the film... Your mind is playing tricks on you, the device you heard it on wasn't of very good sound output (I own the DVD with the 2.0 mix and it's far from being terrible) or somebody needs to be promptly reacquainted with this score, sit down and respectfully give it their undivided attention. I'd say if not some, all of these factors bare a given truth.

Masters of the Universe is a fun film, nothing earth shattering nor does it try to be. I'm amazed it wasn't the complete car wreck that was Superman IV considering it was also helmed by Golan-Globus. This is the very picture that was primiraly responsible for its budget cuts.

I think that might have been because Cannon took a lot of the money WB were giving them for Superman IV and funneled it into MOTU, which pissed a lot of people off.

Great news that Masters of the Universe is receiving a new release. :dance: One of the best Conti scores in my opinion. I just wish that the pressing won't sell out in a blink so that many fans have an opportunity to get this winning adventure score.

I think Merkel was referring to Conti's score to The Right Stuff which is filled with Holst references.

Skeletor's theme in Masters of the Universe does however also contain ideas utilised in Mars, the Bringer of War. The same basic structure that Williams also utilised in Star Wars.

I was about to mention Skeletor the Destroyer, I guess some can hear Mars the Bringer of War in that pace of the theme. I personally do not hear direct hints.

There aren't any direct uses of Holst's music in the score. It's all similarities in the orchestration, obviously meant as a homage. That's why I think he meant The Right Stuff which does directly utilise The Planets.

In the Right Stuff it may be the case, one can be also that Conti did not have much time to compose for that film. He saved time.

It was actually the director's preference to use the music. Conti was allowed to work the material into his score because permission was granted by the family estate of Holst to utilise that music in the score alongside his own material.

Me neither. I mean, I'm aware of the information and find it incredibly interesting to study, but never does it get in the way of me enjoying a particular score. Unfortunately some people just cannot help but be arrogant for the sake of being so when it comes to ideas from classical music being utilised in film music.

It was actually the director's preference to use the music. Conti was allowed to work the material into his score because permission was granted by the family estate of Holst to utilise that music in the score alongside his own material.

Ah nice to know something new information. And he used it with skill indeed!

The Main Title from the Masters of the Universe is the best heroic fanfare ever composed to cinema. It is worthy of labelling as big deal. :P

In a recent interview, Conti says he thinks there will be, and something about Bob Townson asking if he had the masters. Here's hoping!

It's a while away, but there'll be another Battlestar CD apart from the season 4 soundtrack.

Bear McCreary just said it on his blog

There’s a ton of material that’s never made the soundtracks yet. Once the series wraps, La La Land and I are going to put together a compilation of all the best unreleased tracks for you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

The big release will be announced on June 3rd at 12:00 pm Pacific time, USA.

If it's what everyone is claiming it to be at FSM then most people here, including myself, will have no interest in it.

I was hoping for a certain movie.

So Masters of The Universe is definitely coming, but it's a 2disc set and it's not the one announced June 3rd, right? The June 3rd release is a 3disc set?

EDIT: Just read at the FSM boards that the June 3 release is probably The Outer Limits.