The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

SF1_Freeze,

A complete AND remastered version of Die Hard has been sought out by a lot of people (after reading various posts through out the years), so don't assume it's not a sought and underwhelming title.

SF1_Freeze,

A complete AND remastered version of Die Hard has been sought out by a lot of people (after reading various posts through out the years), so don't assume it's not a sought and underwhelming title.

Ok, i may have been little to harsh on that... Die Hard is a great and famous movie, but it wasn't a score that stood out and made me want to listen to it on its own

I will likely get them all except Tora Tora Tora simply because I already have it.

And speaking of Kamen, I am still hopelessly optimistic that someone will release a complete edition of his Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves score.

I'm sure next year we'll start off with "Hook", "Batman Forever", "Batman: The Animated Series -- Volume 2" and some random J.N.H. title.

Last week I had a dream that the Black Friday titles were announced early.

Two were no-names I didn't care about. One was some James Newton Howard score that richuk went nuts over. The fourth was The Temple of Doom.

Yeah.

I'm grateful actually that there's nothing I want in this batch. I only just picked up Home Alone from last year, afterall.

Two were no-names I didn't care about. One was some James Newton Howard score that richuk went nuts over. The fourth was The Temple of Doom.

:huh:

I once dreamt that Jurassic Park was released complete, but no actual people were part of that fantasy.

JNH's 90s output is a bit hit & miss - I hope LLL has chosen some good ones. Falling Down is my #1 choice (not counting scores he collaborated on).

I had a feeling that I wouldn't want anything from this batch, and I don't.

Like I said those of you who are let down you're the only ones who allowed yourselves to get over hyped about nothing. La-La Land didn't really over hype these releases.

Well, I don't know, but I was always under the impression during the year, that this batch was advertised as the BIG event of the year! That would even top the previous one.

Maybe it's me then..

Ok, i may have been little to harsh on that... Die Hard is a great and famous movie, but it wasn't a score that stood out and made me want to listen to it on its own

I agree with you. I don't remember anything about the score. I don't remember if there was an orchestral score in the first place.

But Ok, someone will be dissapointed by this batch and others will be excited.

I just think (I stress that it's my opinion only) that Die hard and Scrooged scores aren't in the quality level of Home Alone or Batman Returns scores..

Me too. Lets hope Hook is planned and was only delayed for some technical reason

because it would have made sense to release it this year with the Blu Ray release

I watched Scrooged the other and the score seemed like it was really sparse. Very little music (and even less so noteworthy music), that was absent from that 8 minute suite on the Music for a Darkened Theater cd. I wonder I they will fill out the cd. After seeing the cd, I'm seriously reconsidering my purchase of this release.

:huh:

You're telling me.

Get out of my dreams, Penna!

I watched Scrooged the other and the score seemed like it was really sparse. Very little music (and even less so noteworthy music), that was absent from that 8 minute suite on the Music for a Darkened Theater cd. I wonder I they will fill out the cd. After seeing the cd, I'm seriously reconsidering my purchase of this release.

Maybe more music was written than what ended up in the movie. In the liner notes on the Music for a Darkened Theatre - Volume One CD Danny Elfman says about Scrooged: "The original tone of this film, as you can hear in the music, was much darker than what ended up on screen. Although the score was a pleasure to write, it was pretty much buried in the final film."

Me too. Lets hope Hook is planned and was only delayed for some technical reason

because it would have made sense to release it this year with the Blu Ray release

I'm sure Hook is on radar for quite some time now. It's just screams "expansion needed badly!" and those people know that. It's just the matter of when and by whom.

Karol

I can't WAIT to pick up DH and Scrooged. I'm gonna order those with Gremlins to get free shipping.

Don't care about the other two and don't care about what Intrada is offering.

I'm going to assume I probably won't want Verese either, unfortunately. THOSE are the big disappointments this year, IMHO.

Elfman did a lot of score not used in the film; only about 21 minutes of what he recorded was used. He actually wrote more than was recorded, too. It would be great if Elfman could make demos of those unrecorded cues and have them on this CD, but not likely.

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS NEW RELEASES: Tues, 1pm (PST) NOV 29, 2011

Our last New Releases of 2011 available for order at www.lalalandrecords.com Tues, 1pm (PST), NOV 29, 2011

SCROOGED: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1195

Music by Danny Elfman

Limited Edition of 3000 Units

ORDER “SCROOGED: LIMITED EDITION” NOV 29th (1pm PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

STARTS SHIPPING NOV. 29th

RETAIL PRICE $19.98

scrooged-Email.jpg

La-La Land Records and Universal Music present the world premiere release of acclaimed composer Danny Elfman’s (BATMAN, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, WANTED, ALICE IN WONDERLAND) original score to Paramount Pictures’ 1988 holiday comedy SCROOGED, starring Bill Murray, Karen Allen, David Johansen and Bobcat Goldthwait, and directed by Richard Donner. An important score in Elfman’s cannon, SCROOGED was the composer’s first big-budget Hollywood score – and one that clearly anticipates his next, and most iconic work, BATMAN. For this wickedly funny and inventive update of the immortal Dickens Christmas classic, Elfman fashions a robust, sophisticated musical tapestry that expertly weaves together the film’s varied tones, which runs the gambit from wildly broad comedy and holiday cheer to gothic horror and emotional drama. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and mastered by Mike Matessino, this special release features bonus tracks, source cues and exclusive liner notes from film music writer Jeff Bond, with new comments from Director Richard Donner and others. This is a limited edition release of 3000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Main Titles§§ / Terrorist Attack (2:34)

2. Eliot Gets Fired / Loud and Clear§§ / Frank’s Run (1:22)

3. Montage: Frank’s Award and Eliot on the Street (1:39)

4. Lew’s Arrival (2:03)

5. The Hand Grab (1:51)

6. Lew’s Reprise (0:51)

7. Claire’s Theme I / Claire’s Theme II* (1:15)

8. Set Collapse* (0:20)

9. A Horror in Chez Jay / Highball / Waiter Ablaze** (1:20)

10. Wild Cab Ride (1:33)

11. Ta-Ra-Ra-Boom-De-Ay§ / Cupid’s Arrow / Change of Expression* (1:33)

12. Eliot Gives Blood / Christmas Present*(1:02)

13. Fairy†† (2:15)

14. Toast to Frank (0:32)

15. The Big Freeze (1:26)

16. Showtime at IBC (1:08)

17. Family Portrait / Ghost on Screen (0:49)

18. Eliot Stalks Frank† (1:08)

19. Asylum / Luncheon / Crematorium / On Fire (3:48)

20. Hallelujah Chorus* (G.F. Handel) / The Romp† (2:18)

21. The Big Speech (1:21)

BONUS TRACKS

22. Loud and Clear (alternate) (0:30)

23. Ta-Ra-Ra-Boom-De-Ay§ (alternate) (0:43)

24. Toast to Frank (alternate) (0:34)

25. The Big Freeze (alternate) (1:25)

26. The Big Freeze (alternate mix) (1:27)

27. Asylum (no choir) (0:59)

28. Crematorium (more percussion) (1:30)

29. The Big Speech (alternate) (3:12)

SOURCE CUES

30. Frank’s Promo (0:51)

31. Frisbee the Dog (0:57)

32. Chez Jay String Quartet (2:43) composed by W.A. Mozart

33. Joy to the World (0:55)composed by G.F. Handel / F. Watts arranged by Elmer Bernstein Sony/ATV Harmony (ASCAP)

34. Jingle Bells (1:48) composed by James Pierpont arranged by Danny Elfman

* not used in film

** contains material not used in film

§ composed by Henry J. Sayers, arr. D. Elfman

§§ contains “Jingle Bells” (James Pierpont, arr. D. Elfman)

† contains “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” (Haven Gillespie /

J. Fred Coots) SBK Feist Catalog Inc. (ASCAP)

†† contains “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” from “The Nutcracker” (P. Tchaikovsky, arr. D. Elfman)

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 49:20

DIE HARD: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1188

Music by Michael Kamen

Limited Edition of 3500 Units

ORDER “DIE HARD: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)” NOV 29th (1pm PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 29th

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

Die_Hard-Email.jpg

La-La Land Records and FOX Music present a remastered 2-CD SET of the original motion picture score to 20th Century Fox’s classic 1988 action blockbuster DIE HARD, starring Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman and Bonnie Bedelia, and directed by John McTiernan. Renowned composer Michael Kamen (LETHAL WEAPON 1-4, ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THEIVES, THE LAST BOY SCOUT, DIE HARD 2-3) constructs an indelible musical template for the iconic, one-man-army of an everyman, John McClane, as he wages a skyscraper-encased war against a group of high-tech, heavily-armed thieves led by uber-villian Hans Gruber. Kamen’s score masterfully builds suspense, propelling all the plot’s high-octane action while enriching the characterizations. The DIE HARD experience is rounded out in this presentation with source cues and bonus tracks such as Vaughn Monroe’s “Let It Snow”, Run DMC’s “Christmas in Hollis,” John Scott’s “We’ve Got Each Other” and more! Produced by Nick Redman and Eric Lichtenfeld, restored by Mike Matessino and remastered by Daniel Hersch, this special 2-CD release features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Eric Lichtenfeld and track-by-track analysis by film music writer Jeff Bond. This is a limited edition of 3500 units. Yippie-Kay-Yay!

TRACK LISTING:

DISC ONE

1. Main Title* (0:38)

2. Terrorist Entrance (4:05)

3. The Phone Goes Dead / Party Crashers (1:51)

4. John’s Escape / You Want Money (6:00)

5. Wiring the Roof (1:51)

6. Fire Alarm (2:04)

7. Tony Approaches (1:41)

8. Tony and John Fight (1:11)

9. Santa (0:55)

10. He Won’t Be Joining Us (3:01)

11. And If He Alters It (2:39)

12. Going After John (4:29)

13. Have A Few Laughs / Al Powell Approaches (3:31)

14. Under the Table (1:55)

15. Welcome to the Party (1:09)

16. TV Station (2:47)

17. Holly Meets Hans (1:19)

18. Assault On the Tower (8:35)

Disc 1 Time: 49:53

DISC TWO

1. John Is Found Out (5:03)

2. Attention Police (3:54)

3. Bill Clay (4:09)

4. Shooting the Glass (1:05)

5. I Had an Accident (2:37)

6. The Vault (3:07)

7. Message for Holly (1:07)

8. The Battle / Freeing the Hostages (6:53)

9. Helicopter Explosion and Showdown (4:00)

10. Happy Trails (1:12)

11. We’ve Got Each Other (1:56)

Written by John Scott

Published by NEW ENTERPRISES MUSIC, INC. (BMI)

12. Let It Snow (1:43)

Performed by Vaughn Monroe

Written by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne

Published by WB Music Corp. OBO Cahn Music Company (ASCAP); Chappell & Co OBO Producers Music Publishing Co (ASCAP)

Courtesy of Geffen Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises

13. Beethoven’s 9th (End Credits Excerpt) (3:54)

Written by Ludwig Van Beethoven

Courtesy of APM Music

BONUS TRACKS

14. The Nakatomi Plaza (1:45)

15. Message for Holly (Film Version)* (2:46)

16. Gun in Cheek* (1:01)

17. Fire Hose* (1:00)

18. Ode to Joy (Alternate) (2:10)

19. Let It Snow (Source) (1:58)

Performed by Michael Kamen

Written by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne

Published by WB Music Corp. OBO Cahn Music Company (ASCAP); Chappell & Co OBO Producers Music Publishing Co (ASCAP)

20. Winter Wonderland (Source) (1:25)

Written by Felix Bernard and Dick Smith

21. Christmas in Hollis (4:49)

Performed by RUN-DMC, Courtesy of Arista Records

Written by Joseph Simmons, Darryl McDaniels, Jason Mizell

Published by WB Music Corp. (ASCAP)

(P) 1987 Arista Records LLC

By arrangement with Sony Music Licensing

Disc 2 Time: 57:59

*Mono Source

Total Time: 107:52

To commemorate the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, La-La Land Records presents two important WWII-themed scores from two giant composers that expertly and thoughtfully examine two landmark events that changed the world forever – the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the completion of the atom bomb.
FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1196

Music by Ennio Morricone

Limited Edition of 3000 Units

ORDER “FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)” NOV 29th (1pm PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 29th

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

fatmanandlittleboy-Email.jpg

La-La Land Records presents the world premiere release of acclaimed composer Ennio Morricone’s (THE MAN WITH NO NAME TRILOGY, THE THING, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, THE MISSION, THE UNTOUCHABLES) original score to Paramount Pictures’ 1989 docudrama FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY, starring Paul Newman, Dwight Schultz and John Cusack, and directed by Roland Joffe. Never before released in any format, Mr. Morricone’s hauntingly beautiful and complex orchestral score receives a definitive, 2-CD treatment that demonstrates the composer’s notable skill in emotionally interpreting what is at once an amazing and tragic chapter in mankind’s history – the birth of the atom bomb. Full of dramatic suspense, passion, sadness and gravitas, this is a notable, major Hollywood work by Morricone that is ripe for discovery – especially since some of it has never before been heard, as several cues and portions of others were dropped from the final cut of the film. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and mastered by Mike Matessino, this special 2-CD release includes source cues, alternates and exclusive, in-depth liner notes by film music writer Daniel Schweiger. This is a limited edition of 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1

Original Film Score Source Cues

1. Above the Clouds (Theme from Fat Man and Little Boy) (5:58)

2. Fat Man Logo* / Main Titles / Mysterious Meeting / A Faustian Bargain* / Arrival at Camp (6:47)

3. Fat Man and Little Boy / We Are People, Not Numbers** (2:41)

4. 2 A.M. News / Groves’ Advantage / First Accident (2:22)

5. No Options / Madness and Suspicion / Oppie’s Reflections (3:13)

6. One Thousand Times Love / Love is Ended (4:31)

7. Icy Fusion Fizzles* (1:02)

8. Groves’ Madness (1:49)

9. Implosion Test / Bad News / In the Tank (1:46)

10. Human Indecision (3:15)

11. Give ‘Em Dignity / Secret File* / Guillotine (2:10)

12. Second Explosion / Pressure Oppie / Oppie’s Indecision / Against the Test (3:44)

13. In the Train* (2:21)

14. Critical Mass / Innocent Love* (2:16)

15. Merriman’s Accident (2:38)

16. Will to Survive (2:21)

17. Why Me? (2:23)

18. Do It! / It’s A Go! / Kathleen’s Goodbye (2:51)

19. Hiroshima and Nagasaki** (3:02)

20. Finale / End Title (film version) (5:43)

Disc 1 Time: 63:40

DISC 2

Source Cues

1. First Expectation (1:25)

2. Piano Source (0:42)

3. Celebration (1:01)

4. Fireworks (1:46)

5. Slow Dancing (0:38)

6. Go Dancing (1:26)

7. Radiation Blues* (1:37)

8. Sonata #17 in D Minor (Opus 31, No. 2 “Tempest”) (L. Beethoven) (1:03)

9. Danse Villageoise from “Dix Pieces Pittoresques” (E. Chabrier) (1:13)

Alternates

10. We Must Not Forget (6:10)

11. Mysterious Meeting (alternate) (0:54)

12. A Faustian Bargain (alternate) (1:41)

13. Icy Fusion Fizzles (alternate) (1:01)

14. Final Celebration (unused finale) (1:40)

15. Higher and Higher (5:51)

16. Innocent Love (two alternates) (1:33)

17. Why Me? (alternate) (2:24)

18. Final Celebration (alternate) (1:41)

19. One Hope (6:01)

Disc 2 Time: 40:29

* not in film

** contains music not in film

Total Album Time: 104:09

TORA! TORA! TORA!: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1197

Music by Jerry Goldsmith

Limited Edition of 2000 Units

ORDER “TORA! TORA! TORA!: LIMITED EDITION” NOV 29th (1pm PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 29th

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ToraToraTora-Email.jpg

La-La Land Records and FOX Music commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack with a special remastered re-issue of legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith’s (PATTON, THE OMEN, BASIC INSTINCT, THE EDGE) original score to 20th Century Fox’s 1970 Pearl Harbor docudrama feature TORA! TORA! TORA!, starring Martin Balsam, Joseph Cotten, E.G. Marshall, So Yamamura and Tatsuya Mihashi, and directed by Richard Fleischer, Kinji Fukasaku and Toshio Masuda. Mr. Goldsmith tackles this film’s serious examination of Pearl Harbor with a rich orchestral score that exemplifies his trademark musical genius, fierce intelligence and sympathetic understanding. Produced by Lukas Kendall and Nick Redman and edited and mastered by Mike Matessino, this special re-issue features all new art by Jim Titus and brand new, in-depth liner notes by film music writer Julie Kirgo. This is a limited edition of 2000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Main Title 3:08

2. The Chancellery 1:05

3. Little Hope 1:53

4. Predictions 2:44

5. Disagreement 2:03

6. Imperial Palace 2:30

7. Mt. Niitaka 1:16

8. The Waiting Game 5:49

9. Sunday Morning 2:55

10. The 14th Part 2:40

11. Entr’Acte 1:46

12. Pre-Flight Countdown 2:09

13. On the Way 1:40

14. The Final Message 4:53

Total Score Time: 36:26

Bonus Tracks:

15. Japanese Military 4:49

16. American Military 1:39

17. Big Band Source 2:25

18. Hawaiian Radio 1:47

19. The Waiting Game (with overlay) 5:50

20. Tora Theme (piano) 1:17

21. Tora Theme (orchestra) 1:42

Total Bonus Time: 19:20

Total Album Time: 55:58

HO-HO-HOLIDAY STOCKING STUFFER $9.98 SPECIAL!!!!!

The following titles are only $9.98 each for a limited time! Sale prices good through 1/2/12. THE FUGITIVE, DC SHOWCASE, HAUNTED HONEYMOON, HAUNTED SUMMER, SOLARIS, MONEY TRAIN, DRAGONSLAYER, ERASER, BATMAN 1966, GREYSTOKE, ALIEN RESURRECTION, JADE.

ALL OF US AT LA-LA LANDwish to thank you for your continued support and patronage throughout 2011. We could not do what we do without you! We wish you all a wonderful and safe holiday season, an amazing new year, and we look forward to bringing you more exciting releases in 2012!

Source: http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?OzPC--AyAP-gkivq9

So Kamen DID actually write something for Gruber's fall before it was replaced with tracked music? Very enticing... gah, I'm seriously considering buying this.

I don't understand the need of including tracked music from other film scores--I know several people want to listen to the soundtrack as exactly heard i the movie, no matter if this means presenting butchered/looped/tracked music, but frankly this doesn't make much sense even when producing archival presentations.

It was included for free with no additional cost to the end user so I don't have a problem with it. I can certainly simply not rip that track from the CD if i don't want it, and including it makes the people who DO want it happy. It's win-win.

HO-HO-HOLIDAY STOCKING STUFFER $9.98 SPECIAL!!!!!

The following titles are only $9.98 each for a limited time! Sale prices good through 1/2/12. THE FUGITIVE, DC SHOWCASE, HAUNTED HONEYMOON, HAUNTED SUMMER, SOLARIS, MONEY TRAIN, DRAGONSLAYER, ERASER, BATMAN 1966, GREYSTOKE, ALIEN RESURRECTION, JADE.

ALL OF US AT LA-LA LANDwish to thank you for your continued support and patronage throughout 2011. We could not do what we do without you! We wish you all a wonderful and safe holiday season, an amazing new year, and we look forward to bringing you more exciting releases in 2012!

Are the sale prices already up? When I try to order Fugitive it shows 19.98$ as price.

It was included for free with no additional cost to the end user so I don't have a problem with it. I can certainly simply not rip that track from the CD if i don't want it, and including it makes the people who DO want it happy. It's win-win.

I've no problem with the track being included itself - it's just a strange decision to put in the score itself considering how fans normally feel about this kind of thing. But for people who would want to listen to the CD, it potentially means they'd have to rip and burn a CD to listen to Kamen's score.

It's an interesting conundrum.

Not to get accusatory or anything, but are "Roy Rogers Meets Beethoven's Ninth" and "John And Holly Meet / The Van" MIA?

They sure appear to be :(

Ok, I emailed MV about this (seemed more respectful than raising a stink on FSM). Supposedly Roy Rogers is a hidden track and John and Holly is there under a different name.

Whew. Those are two of my favorite cues, I'm glad they made it.

Can anyone tell me what's so good and special about the Die Hard score? As i said before i didnt notice it at all the few times i watched the movie. The only moments i remember were the Ode to joy rearrangement and one or two ocurrences of the theme...

The music definetly didnt stand out well enough to merit a listen outside of the film