The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Their website is broken.  It's stuck on my address and I can't place my order.

Wonderful that there's a sale on. Everything by John Williams that is currently in stock I already own (and am very pleased with!).

I cannot recommend the 3CD releases of Hook and A.I. enough. I was going through my expanded soundtrack CDs today and making a list of my favourites, and those 2 (along with the JW Harry Potter box-set) were in my top 5 all-time favourites! I'd also like to shout-out Always; that was a completely blind buy on my part (never heard the OST or seen the movie), and it is a wonderful, intimate and atmospheric soundtrack with a beautiful orchestral finale.

There remain only a few LLL releases that I'm potentially interested in that I haven't felt the need to purchase, but are now on my radar given the sale. If anyone had any positive recommendations/thoughts on the following, please let me know:

- Jack the Bear (James Horner)

- Sliver (Howard Shore)

- Nobody's Fool (Howard Shore)

- Wuthering Heights (Ryuichi Sakamoto)

- Spider-Man (Danny Elfman)

- The Ring (Hans Zimmer)

These are all scores that I've never heard and haven't seen the films they are a part of, but by composers whose work I often enjoy.

P.S. Does anybody know if Top Gun will come back in stock before the sale ends?

16 minutes ago, Trope said:

On 28/03/2024 at 6:43 PM, GerateWohl said:

Wuthering Heights - Ryuichi Sakamoto

A really beautiful score with a fine striking longlined love theme that seems to be repeated about a hundred times. But when the album is over you just want to start again from the beginning. 

5 hours ago, Trope said:

Wonderful that there's a sale on. Everything by John Williams that is currently in stock I already own (and am very pleased with!).

I cannot recommend the 3CD releases of Hook and A.I. enough. I was going through my expanded soundtrack CDs today and making a list of my favourites, and those 2 (along with the JW Harry Potter box-set) were in my top 5 all-time favourites! I'd also like to shout-out Always; that was a completely blind buy on my part (never heard the OST or seen the movie), and it is a wonderful, intimate and atmospheric soundtrack with a beautiful orchestral finale.

There remain only a few LLL releases that I'm potentially interested in that I haven't felt the need to purchase, but are now on my radar given the sale. If anyone had any positive recommendations/thoughts on the following, please let me know:

- Jack the Bear (James Horner)

- Sliver (Howard Shore)

- Nobody's Fool (Howard Shore)

- Spider-Man (Danny Elfman)

- The Ring (Hans Zimmer)

These are all scores that I've never heard and haven't seen the films they are a part of, but by composers whose work I often enjoy.

P.S. Does anybody know if Top Gun will come back in stock before the sale ends?

- The Ring is a great horror score.

- Jack the Bear is not a very assuming Horner score, but I do enjoy it.

14 hours ago, Trope said:

Be sure to pick up Titanic if you haven't yet - It's a wonderful release, an iconic Horner score, and I can't imagine how insanely high the price will skyrocket once it's out of print.

I do think MM would have made a better main program.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I do think MM would have made a better main program.

What do you think would have changed?

The bigger problem with that set is some missing film takes such as the ending, iirc. Putting album/original versions in the main program is pretty far down the list of priorities for me compared to that.

Indeed. Note I said film takes, not edits. The butchering in the film varies from creative to downright unlistenable as music, but you want to at least have the compositions and takes that the editors started with before all hell broke loose.

I replicated two tracked moments in my set because I love how they work in their respective scenes, much like how a handful of tracked moments in Potter 1 work really well.

53 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

No album versions/alts in the main program. This should never be done in my view.

Well for many of the cues that have multiple options, a film version virtually doesn't exist because it's a hackjob of many versions or even many cues. They just had to pick one or the other.

I think overall the approach is somewhat like Intrada's Alien (another score butchered in the final cut, and a release done fully by Mike on the technical side): main program has the original versions, bonuses are the revisions? It's consistent and I have no problem with it, even if it's not my preference, but I always make my own playlists/assemblies anyway.

I basically want the main program to be as close as possible to what's in the film without replicating tracking or similar editing. If that means putting a version the composer revised against their wishes in the main program... sucks to be them.

The problem indeed is when the film uses two versions and switches between them, so there is no single film version. I don't particularly care what they do in those cases as long as the material is released, i.e. put one in the main section and the other in bonus.

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I basically want the main program to be as close as possible to what's in the film without replicating tracking or similar editing. If that means putting a version the composer revised against their wishes in the main program... sucks to be them.

Agreed. It's my preference as well. I never understood why some edits tend to favor the original version in the main program, even if it's what the composer intended. Anyone who agrees with the composer just have to program the album version into the main program.

But in Titanic's case I think that would be near impossible to achieve given the utter and complete mess that is the score in the movie.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I never understood why some edits tend to favor the original version in the main program, even if it's what the composer intended. Anyone who agrees with the composer just have to program the album version into the main program.

Or maybe they just like it better? Is that so unbelievable? I don't give much of a shit when a version was composed or what's used in the film, I use whatever version I like better and fits better musically, I even combine versions a lot.

I always prefer whatever works best musically.  With most scores I own, I don’t have an intimate knowledge of the movie and probably have never seen it at all.  If a film version is full of hacky edits or extraneous loops, give me an album version every time.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I think overall the approach is somewhat like Intrada's Alien (another score butchered in the final cut, and a release done fully by Mike on the technical side): main program has the original versions, bonuses are the revisions? It's consistent and I have no problem with it, even if it's not my preference, but I always make my own playlists/assemblies anyway.

I stopped making my own programs years ago, it's a Pandora box I don't really want to re-open. Having no control over track order is just too easy.

51 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I always prefer whatever works best musically. 

I find that is usually the original version, whereas the film versions are more focused on the emotional content.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Note I said film takes, not edits. The butchering in the film varies from creative to downright unlistenable as music, but you want to at least have the compositions and takes that the editors started with before all hell broke loose.

Oh I can completely get on board with all of that. My comment was directed more toward bollemanneke.

I live with the released main program unless there's something I really don't like, such as a version of a track they put in the bonus section being superior. Such things don't bother me anyway - quick switcheroo.

The only recent exception would be our ol' favourite Sleepy Hollow. Took me ages to work out how to make a playable long-term set without winding myself up with endless repeats of cues. And not I should add, because I was worrying about what were film versions, but just deciding which versions I liked most and which alterate takes had value.

But scores as complicated as that are quite rare.

I thought this particular one was in reference to issues with completing the checkout process which they resolved a day or two ago.

Or their website software has an 'apologetic message' template.

Yeah, their e-commerce site made some updates and there was an unexpected issue where new releases were unable to be purchased.  Those two albums were throwing errors for about two hours on Tuesday.

6 hours ago, Trope said:

Why are LLL apologising for their latest releases?

On 02/04/2024 at 3:18 PM, Andy said:

Their website is broken.  It's stuck on my address and I can't place my order.

On 02/04/2024 at 4:57 PM, Andy said:

Now working.  Make sure you empty your cart first.

Despite Top Gun not coming back in stock before the LLL sale ended, I made use of the 25% off to blind purchase 3 new scores: Jack the Bear (Horner), Wuthering Heights (Sakamoto) and The Weather Man (Zimmer). Keen to jump into these in the next few weeks (when they arrive!).

The sale has been extended to April 30th.

From LLL's home page:

25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER!!! Spring into great savings NOW with 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER of IN-STOCK titles – including this month’s two new releases! Discount will be applied at checkout. (This offer applies to IN-STOCK items only and excludes our SCARFACE VINYL 2XLP and the purchase of Gift Certificates).

Special offer EXTENDED through 4/30

BACK IN STOCK… THE THIN RED LINE (4-CD SET), FIELD OF DREAMS (2-CD SET), X-MEN (2-CD SET LAST BATCH) ... THESE TITLES START SHIPPING 4/23

ALSO BACK IN STOCK… DAYS OF THUNDER (LAST BATCH!!!), THE GODFATHER: 50th ANNIVERSARY EXPANDED AND REMASTERED LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), THE MASK OF ZORRO (2-CD SET) and KARATE KID 35th ANNIVERSARY (LAST BATCH!!!). Get ‘em as part of our 25% OFF special!

NOTE: NEW ORDERS MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH PREVIOUS OR CURRENT ORDERS.

I also saw this posted on FSM.  Is it from an email?  If so, that means I'm still not getting them :( I wonder if other gmail users are afffected?  Kind of like what we have going on here?

SALE EXTENDED THRU 4/30

BACK IN STOCK

DAYS OF THUNDER – LAST BATCH!!!
FIELD OF DREAMS (2-CD SET) – starts shipping 4/23
THE GODFATHER: 50th ANNIVERSARY (2-CD SET)
THE THIN RED LINE (4-CD SET) – starts shipping 4/23
X-MEN (2-CD SET) – LAST BATCH!!! – starts shipping 4/23

LAST CALL
DIE ANOTHER DAY – Less than 20 remain
THE KARATE KID: 35th ANNIVERSARY – LAST BATCH!!!
A QUIET PLACE PART II – Less than 100 remain
SLIVER – Less than 70 remain
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA – Less than 50 remain

I got an e-mail about 12 hours or so ago. I use gmail but we also have a family domain so it doesn't go directly there.

Doesn't seem like they're in the remotest urge to get TLW back in stock. I wonder if sales slowed after the initial buzz?

17 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I love the TTRL OST but in this case I'm not really interested in the additional material.

There is some really beautiful atmospheric music that I adore in this expansion. Definitely not something I listen to from start to finish every day, but when I'm in the right mood for it, it is really fantastic. And I haven't even seen the film!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I also saw this posted on FSM.  Is it from an email?  If so, that means I'm still not getting them :( I wonder if other gmail users are afffected?  Kind of like what we have going on here?

I have gmail and I did get the email this morning. 

It is unfortunate that Top Gun is out of stock at the moment I would have liked to ordered it together with Amistad with the discount. 

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder why in the world I've stopped getting their newsletter emails after 20 years of getting every one?

Is there an option on their site to unsubscribe?  Maybe do that then resubscribe  :unsure: