The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

If it is a Black Friday title, I'd better put some money aside. I've already got two big purchases this month (not related to soundtracks).

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS

NEW RELEASES: Tues, 12pm (PST) Nov. 5, 2013

Available for order at www.lalalandrecords.com
Tues, 12pm (PST) Nov 5, 2013

“restless: limited edition”
Music by Danny Elfman
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98
STARTS SHIPPING NOV 5, 2013

“DAYS OF THUNDER: LIMITED EDITION”
Music by Hans Zimmer
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
STARTS SHIPPING NOV 5, 2013

FREE DANNY ELFMAN EXCLUSIVE!
Order restlesss starting NOV 5 at 12pm (PST) and get a FREE copy of the composer’s TAKING WOODSTOCK at no additional charge. The free CD will be packed with your order when it ships! Only at www.lalalandrecords.com for a limited time. These free copies are NOT guaranteed.

“HANS ZIMMER SPECIAL!”
To celebrate our release of DAYS OF THUNDER, we are offering BLACK RAIN and BROKEN ARROW at a special sale price of only $19.98 each! Sale prices good thru 12/2. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

restless: limited edition LLLCD 1274
Music by Danny Elfman
Limited Edition of 2000 Units

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 5

ORDER “restless: limited edition” starting Nov 5 at 12pm PST atwww.lalalandrecords.com

Restless-Web.jpgLa-La Land Records and Sony Pictures Entertainment present the original motion picture score to the 2011 feature film drama restless, starring Mia Wasikowska and Henry Hopper and directed by Gus Van Sant. Renowned composer Danny Elfman (EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, BATMAN, SOMMERSBY, BLACK BEAUTY) crafts another notable original score – a delicate, but stirring work, in the vein of his music for MILK and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, that expertly finds the heart and soul of Van Sant’s delightfully offbeat romantic drama. Produced by Danny Elfman and mastered by Patricia Sullivan at Bernie Grundman mastering, this special release is limited to 2000 units and includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes from film music writer Tim Greiving which feature comments from director Gus Van Sant. The attractive art direction is by Dan Goldwasser.

TRACK LISTING:

1. titles 2:41
2. battleship 1:09
3. reconciliation 1:26
4. sorry for your loss 1:54
5. waterbirds 1:43
6. meet the parents 2:20
7. on the beach 2:09
8. hiroshima 1:06
9. morning affair 1:33
10. morgue 1:18
11. crime scene 2:45
12. death scene 2:06
13. happy dead girl 1:11
14. battleship 2 1:50
15. a ghost 1:00
16. the letter 1:34
17. parents’ grave 1:49
18. weepy donuts 3:31
19. enoch’s goodbye 1:21
total album time: 34:25

DAYS OF THUNDER: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1290
Music by Hans Zimmer
Limited Edition of 3000 Units

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 5

ORDER “DAYS OF THUNDER: LIMITED EDITION” starting Nov 5 at 12pm PST at www.lalalandrecords.com

daysofthunder-Web.jpgLa-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures present the world premiere release of acclaimed composer Hans Zimmer’s (BLACK RAIN, THELMA & LOUISE, THE DARK KNIGHT, MAN OF STEEL) full-throttle original score to the 1990 racing drama feature DAYS OF THUNDER, starring Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and Robert Duvall, and directed by Tony Scott. After waiting decades, film music enthusiasts have finally been rewarded with a worthy release of this Zimmer classic. Clocking in at over 70 minutes, this CD absolutely roars with the kind of blistering dramatic action scoring that vividly demonstrates how Zimmer became one of filmdom’s most important contemporary composers. Rounding out the music presentation are some notable bonus tracks and the song “The Last Note of Freedom,” performed by David Cloverdale. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and mastered by Doug Schwartz, this special limited release of 3000 Units was supervised by the film’s producer, Jerry Bruckheimer and star Tom Cruise. The sleek art design is by Dan Goldwasser, with exclusive, in-depth liner notes by film music writer Tim Greiving, which include feature comments from Bruckheimer and Cruise. This release is dedicated to the late Tony Scott.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Days of Thunder (Main Title) 3:08
2. Rowdy Drives/Who Is This Driver? 2:06
3. Let Me Drive/Cole Drives Rowdy’s Car 2:26
4. Car Building 2:05
5. Darlington – Cole Wins 4:47
6. You’re Home/Daytona Race/The Crash 3:29
7. The Hospital 2:20
8. Wheelchair Race 0:37
9. Rental Car Race* 3:50
10. Claire Arrives at Her Apartment 1:55
11. Physical Kiss 1:05
12. Cole Blows His Engine 1:10
13. Wheeler/Cole Smashes 2:25
14. Cole at the Laundry/Cole Agrees to Drive Rowdy’s Car 2:11
15. Cole and Harry Fight/Harry Talks to Car 2:52
16. Cole in Truck/Pre-Race 3:52
17. The Last Race 10:20
18. “The Last Note of Freedom” 4:57
performed by David Coverdale

BONUS TRACKS
19. The Hospital (alternate) 2:21
20. Wheelchair Race (alternate) 0:38
21. Claire Arrives at Her Apartment (alternate ending) 1:53
22. Cole Blows His Engine (alternate) 1:12
23. Pre-Race (alternate mix) 2:25
24. Days of Thunder (Main Title) (rock arrangement) 4:59
TOTAL ALBUM TIME 71:14
* contains material not used in film

http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?61ytz--36pqp-ag4f6q4&_v=2

• 2 weeks later...
Creature Features is putting on a very special LADYHAWKE screening with special guests Richard Donner and Lauren Shuler-Donner on Nov 26th at the Arclight Hollywood. Get your tickets now atwww.creaturefeatures.com and come on out for what will be a great show!

In very related news, we are happy to announce that La-La Land Records will be releasing a 2-CD remastered and expanded LADYHAWKE soundtrack in 2014!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10152102101788755

Ladyhawke_Slider1.jpg

https://creaturefeatures.ticketbud.com/ladyhawke

In very related news, we are happy to announce that La-La Land Records will be releasing a 2-CD remastered and expanded LADYHAWKE soundtrack in 2014!

With the rejected Jerry-Goldsmith-score on Disc 2!

Never seen the film or heard the score. Any good?

The score is wacky because it's a hybrid of synthesizer prog rock with classical influences and Gregorian chants. It's dated the movie terribly, similar to The Princess Bride or Legend. The film is OK, I guess.

What your phone doesn't have a web browser for you to google? :P

Most places of employment do not allow cell phone usage while working. My job goes even further and doesn't let you carry one in the building. If you get caught on camera it's final warning then you're out.

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday season. 2013 was another great year here at the triple L. A lot of dream projects were finally realized for us. 2014 promises to be as exciting as ever with a plethora of amazing projects from the Golden Age to the Digital Age. We will be covering exciting releases from the worlds of film, television, animation and video games… scores by some of our favorite composers as well as some by composers new to the label.

Speaking of which, let’s kick off the 2014 with not one but TWO releases by composers new to the La-La Land Catalog:

FANTASTIC VOYAGE

MUSIC BY LEONARD ROSENMAN

LLLCD 1279

LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE $19.98

PRODUCED BY LUKAS KENDALL AND NICK REDMAN

MASTERED BY DANIEL HERSCH at D2 MASTERING

REVISED MASTER PREPARATION BY MIKE MATESSINO

LINER NOTES BY JULIE KIRGO

ART DIRECTION BY JIM TITUS

20th Century Fox and La-La Land Records are proud to announce a new release of a true sci fi classic – FANTASTIC VOYAGE by Leonard Rosenman. Long out of print, this highly sought after masterpiece is now BACK IN PRINT looking and sounding better than ever (PLEASE NOTE: No new tracks have been added). Mike Matessino lovingly restored this release using today’s technology improving upon the original FSM release that came out 15 years ago. New liner notes by Julie Kirgo take the listener deep inside the score and film. Jim Titus’ art direction is second to none -- laying out one of his finest packages to date. Clever and classy, it truly lives up to its FANTASTIC title!

Our next new release for 2014 comes to you courtesy of yet another composer making his first appearance in our catalog:

DEAD AGAIN

MUSIC BY PATRICK DOYLE

LLLCD 1284

LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE $19.98

PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER

MASTERED BY DOUG SCHWARTZ at MULHOLLAND MUSIC

LINER NOTES BY BRIAN SATTERWHITE

ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

Paramount Pictures and La-La Land Records are happy to announce the expanded and newly remastered score to Patrick Doyle’s masterpiece DEAD AGAIN. Clocking in at over 78 minutes, tons of material has been added to this lush and bombastic score. Full of melody and intrigue, composer Doyle takes the listener deep inside the psyche of Kenneth Branagh’s intense film and helps them navigate through the twist and turns of this reincarnation Hitchcockian thriller. Film composer/score historian Brain Satterwhite examines this twisted film noir exploring the film, its inspiration and Doyle’s intricate score. Dan Goldwasser’s art direction rounds out this gothic thriller’s package. One of our favorite scores of the 1990’s finally gets to be heard in all it’s glory (even featuring music cut from the final film)!

Both scores go on sale TUESDAY, JANUARY 14, 2014 at 12 pm pst at www.lalalandrecords.com and at other fine online soundtrack retailers

See y’all next week!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10152219374628755

Hmmm I might have to upgrade Dead Again. Who knows what treasures those 78 minutes hold! :)

Per their Facebook page.

Looking over our planned release schedule for 2014, we thought we would at least let you guys in on some key release dates we have planned for the year (We hope we make all these planned dates)

May 6 or May 20 - our 300th release
July 15 - Comic Con titles (whether we are there or not)
Dec 2 - our Final Four "Black Friday" titles

Always cool to see what sold on the website during the year. Below are the top 10 best sellers on the La-La Land website (only) for the year 2013 (JAN 1 - DEC 31):
10. WYATT EARP
9. DAYS OF THUNDER
8. THE MATRIX RELOADED
7. LETHAL WEAPON BOX SET
6. THE FURY
5. SUPERMAN RETURNS
4. CAPRICA THE SERIES
3. THE X-FILES VOLUME 2
2. STAR TREK DEEP SPACE 9
and the #1 selling soundtrack on our website for 2013 was...
1. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BLOOD AND CHROME
Fascinating to see the top 4 best sellers were tv show soundtracks. Congrats to Bear for being KING of La-La Land! :)

I am REALLY surprised that Rosewood is not among the top 10 best selling releases they had this year - and that The Fury outsold it (seemingly be a pretty decent amount).

I hope this does not hurt the chances of some of JW's other smaller scores getting expanded.

The Fury had an OOP OST and expansion that went for tremendous amounts of money on the secondary market. That helps with sales a lot.

Not to mention it being a friggin' awesome score. ;)

Always cool to see what sold on the website during the year. Below are the top 10 best sellers on the La-La Land website (only) for the year 2013 (JAN 1 - DEC 31):
10. WYATT EARP
9. DAYS OF THUNDER
8. THE MATRIX RELOADED
7. LETHAL WEAPON BOX SET
6. THE FURY
5. SUPERMAN RETURNS
4. CAPRICA THE SERIES
3. THE X-FILES VOLUME 2
2. STAR TREK DEEP SPACE 9
and the #1 selling soundtrack on our website for 2013 was...
1. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BLOOD AND CHROME
Fascinating to see the top 4 best sellers were tv show soundtracks. Congrats to Bear for being KING of La-La Land! :)

Very cool to see that. I've got 8, 5 and 2.

I have entries 8, 5, 4 and 1.

You don't have the DS9 (#2 spot) set??? :o

I have to budget myself somewhat, and the DS9 scores are not a high priority for me.

My interests for Trek music are chiefly TOS and the movies.

I greatly enjoy DS9 as a seres, but the music is not as interesting to me personally.

This is not a quality assessment, but one of personal taste musically.

2 minutes to go until the first 2014 batch of LLL titles are up for sale. Meanwhile, I wanted to point out this:

LOW QTY ALERT
LESS THAN 20 COPIES REMAIN OF UNCHARTED 3!
Once it's gone it's gone for good from La-La Land Records!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152226065373755&set=a.181243738754.155532.56031953754&type=1&stream_ref=10

It's hard to compare to other composers, but it definitely has a familiar sound. Possibly similar to McCreary but less pulsing rhythms and synth. Very big and orchestral and thematic. Lots of ethnic flavors. Not sure if there are samples but check it out.