• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
robthehand

The Official La-La Land Records Thread

7729 posts in this topic

Awed to silence by my amazing display back there, huh? I have that effect on people.

It's nothing short of a travesty that this score did not win an Oscar.

I disagree, Vertigo was clearly the best score that year.

Awed to silence by my amazing display back there, huh? I have that effect on people.

Yes..... ;)

;)

It's nothing short of a travesty that this score did not win an Oscar.

I disagree, Vertigo was clearly the best score that year.

And that didn't even win the Oscar.

Hollywood was not especially fond of Hitchcock at the time, from what I can understand. The films were not regarded as instant classic. Hitchcock developed a huge following among the New Wave directors, and the 70's directors. I never got the sense that people went that gaga for his late 50's and beyond movies when they came out, except for the sensation Psycho caused. And that year, at least 4 of the five nominated scores (never heard Previn's Elmer Gantry, nor anything else Previn has written) were superb, became classics -The Alamo, The Magnificent Seven, Spartacus and Exodus, which won. So while Psycho was certainly deserving, it had pretty stiff competition for the top 5.

My first theory may not be reality-based, just a sense I get. And it would explain the general cold shoulder Hitchcock 3 consecutive classics he made in the 58', 59' and 60' (and, indeed, why the last oscar a Hitchcock film received was for 'Que Sera Sera' from The man Who Knew Too Much).

Herrmann had way too many enemies due to his usual outbursts. No wonder he was rarely nominated.

Hollywood was not especially fond of Hitchcock at the time, from what I can understand. The films were not regarded as instant classic. Hitchcock developed a huge following among the New Wave directors, and the 70's directors. I never got the sense that people went that gaga for his late 50's and beyond movies when they came out, except for the sensation Psycho caused. My first theory may not be reality-based, just a sense I get. And it would explain the general cold shoulder Hitchcock 3 consecutive classics he made in the 58', 59' and 60' (and, indeed, why the last oscar a Hitchcock film received was for 'Que Sera Sera' from The man Who Knew Too Much).

As for the films, the Academy giveth and the Academy taketh away. Rebecca won best picture in 1940 and I think there were a lot of better films that year (The Grapes of Wrath, Pinocchio, The Great Dictator, Fantasia, etc.). I think a lot of it just had to do with competition. North by Northwest came out the same year as Ben-Hur, Some Like it Hot, Anatomy of a Murder, etc. Although I do agree that Hitchcock's films weren't viewed as masterpieces until the 60's and 70's. Vertigo was practically booed out of theaters in 1958 and now it's considered one of the top 50 films ever made!

As for the scores not being nominated, I agree with whoever mentioned that Herrmann was an unpleasant ass. I think that probably had something to do with it. That and the fact that the Academy's Music Branch seems completely inept at judging the quality of music. They're like the FEMA of the entertainment industry.

Vertigo was practically booed out of theaters in 1958 and now it's considered one of the top 50 films ever made!

Most recent Sight & Sound poll (of prominant film critics and directors) placed it in the top 10 (I think it was number 6, after Kane, both Godfathers, Le Regle Du Jour and a couple of others.

You shame me!

I sense much anger in you.

(The Numbnuts comment led me to that notion)

I know of your unrequited love for Renovia.....But she's a married woman. It would never work.

I know of your unrequited love for Renovia......

Lust...unrequited lust...

But she's a married woman. It would never work

I think the Atlantic has more to do with that then her husband.

For you Mark Isham fans La La Land has released a limited edition of 2,000 units for Point Break. Check it out here.

My only concideration is whether to add it to my current SAE purchase, or to leave for the next one (it's gonna be a few weeks until it's in stock....I have the same concideration concering the new Poledouris release.....but there's a good chance they might sell out by then. So many conciderations!).

Isham hasn't made a great score since A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT

This quote was posted over at FSM by LaLaLand, the actual thread is buried somehere on their message board.

Early April: Limited Edition release of a beloved sci fi series. Also signed by composer

Late April: Two Limited Edition Releases:

1. 1000 units of a beautiful whimsical score signed by composer

2. Our 70th release. Our Most Extravagant release yet (only $30.00 to boot). A must have for any score collector. signed by composer

Then MV (LaLaLand) posted this:

THE BIG ONE is a 3 disc set. . .

MV

A three disc set that's a must have, signed by the composer.

Hmmmm looking at who and what they have released could it be, finally, Independence Day? Or perhaps a Back To the Future Trilogy?

I doubt it's John Williams

John Williams would not sign the c.d.'s . I could only think of Hook

They did David Arnold before, so I'd say Independence Day is not completely out of the question for the second one.

ID4 is not "whimsical," and if it was Back to the Future there would be more hype.

You might wanna re-read my first post:

Early April: Limited Edition release of a beloved sci fi series. Also signed by composer

Late April: TWO Limited Edition Releases:

1. 1000 units of a beautiful whimsical score signed by composer

2. Our 70th release. Our Most Extravagant release yet (only $30.00 to boot). A must have for any score collector. SIGNED BY THE COMPOSER

I hi-lighted the last sentence because someone at FSM mentioned Spartacus, which unless LaLaLand was working on this project almost 20 years ago, might be a little hard to obtain Alex North's signature.

Actually I think he mentioned in that thread they pushed the releases back a little, to ease our pocket books.... :)

Yeah I doubt it's BTTF, I expect that to come from Intrada.

John Williams would not sign the c.d.'s . I could only think of Hook

Didn't John Williams sign FSM's Goodbye Mr. Chips?

They did release Godzilla, which was thru Sony/Tristar.

BTW I was told the most beloved sci-fi series is from a TV series. So no not BTTF.

a complete 1933 King Kong by Max Steiner, autographed to boot, wow