The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Straight from their Facebook page:

Now that #200 is in the rearview mirror, we here at the triple L look foward to the next 4 1/2 months, building up to another big celebration -- COMIC CON, BABY! We have a some awesome releases planned for this bash and we hope (fingers crossed) the cds will be done in time.

That would certainly be a good opportunity for a TMP release?

Indeed it would

However, unless Neil is lying on his Facebook, he hasn't done any work on it yet. I imagine work would have started by now for a July release, and I imagine Neil will be involved in it.

If I were Neil, I for one wouldn't risk getting fired because I posted information about upcoming projects. Grant he does give out little "hints" for stuff he's working on but doesn't necessarily come flat out and say, "I'm working on such and such score".

Of course he wouldn't say anything if he was really working on. As you guys say, he would just dodge the question.

However, he did not dodge the question... He said:

The Sony album isn't complete at all. I'd love to someday work on TMP. It could be my favorite film score of all. It is the first score I ever owned on LP. In the meantime, enjoy all of the other great Trek music that is out there!

Source:https://www.facebook...01952259&type=1

I'm sure someday he WILL work on it. All I'm saying is that since he hasn't started yet, its unlikely to be done by Comic Con. But I could be wrong.

I agree with you 100%. My point is that if he WASN'T working on it, he wouldn't have said what he did. As you said, he is completely professional. When he says "I hope to someday work on it", I completely believe that he has NOT done ANY work on it at all.

That doesnt' mean he won't start working on it tomorrow, and that it can't be done by Comic Con, I just have my doubts!

I'm actually quite happy with the Sony edition. Both existing releases are very good in their own respect. But since I already bought all the others (some of which I already had in OST form), then obviously this one would end up in my collection as well.

Karol

The only way anybody could possibly be happy with the 2000 edition of Star Trek TMP is if you've never heard the unreleased music + alternates before. They NEED to be legally released.

The only way anybody could possibly be happy with the 2000 edition of Star Trek TMP is if you've never heard the unreleased music + alternates before. They NEED to be legally released.

Or if they are (EXTREMLY) casual score fans.

There was some Alexander Courage material for captain log in the film. Can't remember the rest.

Karol

The 20th Anniversary album is pretty good on its own but I agree with Jason on this matter. The full complete score is simply awesome and once you've heard it you don't go back to the 20th Anniversary edition.

I would not be surprised if this ends up being one of La-La Land's Black Friday titles this year.

There was some Alexander Courage material for captain log in the film. Can't remember the rest.

Karol

You should listen the unused version of "The Enterprise", it's awesome. :)

Or if they are Sheldon.

Sheldon would think the 20th anniversary soundtrack would be too much because he wouldn't like it anyways.

It came out in 1999, not 2000. I started college in 1999, and got this album before I started. Got it the same day I got the stereo for my dorm, in fact.

Fanboy twaddle! The Sony release is excellent and has most of the highlights of the score proper.

Karol

Then you've proved my point!

Fanboy twaddle! The Sony release is excellent and has most of the highlights of the score proper.

COMPLETELY disagree with you. Wouldn't have expected a response like that from you. Oh well.

Jason, just because it is incomplete does not mean its a bad release. Back in 1999 it was a gift from the Gods!

Btw, Maestro Goldsmith was involved in it.

It's a good release, but a COMPLETE release in the same manner of 2-6 would be MORE than welcome to me. The music NOT included on that 1999/2000 release (whenever it was) is great Goldsmith music that deserves to be released legally.

Steef/Stefan, I am sure they will get release a complete/expanded reissue of your precious Star Trek Generations, and a expanded/complete reissue of TMP will not hurt the release of a reissue of the former.

Likewise. I really enjoy the 20th anniversary edition, but clearly a complete release would be awesome!

The 20th anniversary soundtrack album is a great one with good chronological musical sequencing and 65 minute running time but I certainly would not say no to a complete score released with all the alternate material.

Which reminds me I should listen to the anniversary album again today. It has been far too long since I listened ST TMP.

As a listening experience, as a way to spend 60-ish minutes, it does its job quite nicely.

That assembly is more or less what's on my iPod right now, with 'Voyager 6!' from the unmentionable added to it. That was the only unreleased portion I was really missing.

How much is domestic shipping for LLL? I forget.

Direct quote from their home page.

North America : $4.00 for the 1st cd and $1.00 for each additional CD.

All orders will be shipped First Class mail via the United States Postal Service.

Is their Speed release definitive or does one have to keep the first releases? I'm thinking about to get the new one but it would be nice if I could toss the old one.

MV's new avatar on FSM gives away that Dimitri Tiomkin's Fall Of The Roman Empire will be a part of their March 13th batch (which MV will pre-announce tomorrow):

1801u.gif

Larger version from Illustrating The Score's facebook page:

42283236017892068374411.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=360178920683744&set=a.114158731952432.13032.112035492164756&type=1

Friends, Romans, Fanboys -- send me your credit card. . .

Coming March 13, 2012 at 1 pm PST on www.lalalandrecords.com

THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE EXPANDED ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

MUSIC BY DIMITRI TIOMKIN

LLLCD 1202

LIMITED EDITION OF 2500 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

PRODUCED BY DIDIER C. DEUTSCH AND MARK G. WILDER

MASTERED BY MARK G. WILDER

LINER NOTES BY JEFF BOND

ART DIRECTION BY JIM TITUS

La-La Land Records and Sony Music are excited to announce the arrival of Dimitri Tiomkin's classic score to THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. The fine folks at Sony Music dug around in their vaults and discovered the original 1/4 inch LP master of this fantastic score. Using those elements as well as some bonus mono cues we have culled together a fantastic 65 minute presentation that features some of the finest music Mr. Tiomkin ever wrote. If you are a Tiomkin purist you will be delighted with this new release! Stunning artwork by Jim Titus and in depth liner notes by Jeff Bond are another highlight. As fantastic as 2011's re-recording is, nothing beats the real thing!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/324002370981403

I thought this was kind of interesting:

For Trek V, there was talk about have Bruce Botnick remix it, but in the end he said that he was happy with it and that it was what Jerry had wanted, and so we kept it. Again, that one was mastered by Sony, but it didn't seem like too much happened to it on their end. Actually, Trek V has a very wide sound to it if you listen as opposed to Insurrection, which came later when, as Bruce has explained, Jerry kept wanting things wetter and wetter. If that one ever came up again I'd hope to find a drier 3-track mix to use. Trek V may be the widest sounding of all of the scores -- even the movie has an interesting mix with extreme panned dialogue much like a film from the '50s or '60s.

he could be referring to inssurection of course...

I like Insurrection's sound mix. It's got a lush, dreamy quality.

But if a rerelease happens and the mix is drier, I won't complain.