The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

It's not

Jason, do you know if we'll be getting to hear whatever the "piece of film music history" is anytime soon? I know MV said it all depends on "the powers that be" allowing them.

A prolific composer for films during the silent era, this release marks the very first time that a Zamecnik score has ever been recorded and released.

Second.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00000IJM7

Unless by "score" they mean "music to one movie" as opposed to "greatest hits." That's a technicality.

For JNH, I am hoping to either see a expanded release for Waterworld. With the OST out of print, and some nice bits of unreleased cues, I think it would be very welcome. It's a great early score of his. And actually, when I hear it, I think more of the stunt show at Universal Studios more than I do of the actual movie since it used the music from the film to great effect. Hell, I think I actually saw the stunt show WAY before the film. It even uses some music that wasn't on the OST. Be fitting to have this one this year since the stunt show at Universal Studios Hollywood will be getting the axe in no time to make room for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I'd prefer an expansion of Wyatt Earp - there's tons missing from that album, including the prologue music, and a piece from where the mob arrives at the sheriff's office (or something like that - I skimmed through the film once).

The existing Waterworld OST is almost too much for me actually - I think there would have to be some amazing unreleased material to warrant buying an expansion of that.

I'd also like Falling Down, which has a promo with a portion of the score, but omits some really nice quieter material.

I'd love JNH's involvement in Dante's Peak to make that a candidate, but that's likely in Varese perpetuity.

It's been a crazy 48 hours:

We got final artwork approval on:

LLLCD 1207

LLLCD 1209

LLLCD 1210

LLLCD 1212

LLLCD 1214

Plus, we are waiting on 3 more approvals to come in any hour now.

Man my printer is gonna be busy this week! lol

Source:

bc6fa03b1e9ef3e3d6cd1897ef566b36

Out of 200 releases, only like 3 or 4 were specifically chosen for some reason. I wouldn't ever put any thought into the catalog numbers unless MV mentions ti specifically

Jason was right.

From Facebook:

Our voyage began 3/22/2009 and today, 4/23/2012, the final proof was signed off on. . .the booklets/tray cards are being printed as I type!

(Nearly 3 years to the day! Funny how some projects work out.)

June 5th 2012 at 1 pm prepare to boldly go. . .

;)

MV posted a followup comment too:

To quote John Hammond, "Spared no expense." ;) LLL 1207 is our crowning acheivement

So it seems 1207 might be Jurassic Park...which one not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2-CD set, for both scores.

Nice to know that Star Trek TMP is coming in June. I'll be ready!

Awesome news!

I'm curious now to know the behind the scenes timeline of this whole "restoration series", and how it all unfolded. Because clearly it started before Wrath of Khan was even out (in July 2009). Perhaps by the end we will.

So it seems 1207 might be Jurassic Park...which one not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2-CD set, for both scores.

MV was refering to the same title with his second comment. 1207 = the title they began working on in 2009 that is shipping June 5th

MV was refering to the same title with his second comment. 1207 = the title they began working on in 2009 that is shipping June 5th

Oh gotcha, thanks for the correction.

Either way I'm buying it! I'll more than happy to delete the boot.

Oh crap. I won't be able to get it.

Why not?

Pardon me if this was discussed to death elsewhere, but why is a new release of ST:TMP so necessary? I bought the last release, and I thought it was a lengthy and quite sufficient presentation of the score. In other words, what was missing?

Pardon me if this was discussed to death elsewhere, but why is a new release of ST:TMP so necessary? I bought the last release, and I thought it was a lengthy and quite sufficient presentation of the score. In other words, what was missing?

Because everything has to be complete, and Trekkies/Goldsmith fans/film music nerds will be on this like ugly on an ape. :P

While the 2000 Sony Legacy was a fine release per se, it wasn't a definitive or comprehensive one. Apparently Goldsmith was consulted and nixed to include several cues. Also, there are a few discrepancies in terms of takes chosen (a few of them are alternates and not the proper film versions). Also, it's known there are at least a handful of alternate cues (the original "Enterprise" above all) which are VERY different to their film counterpart and it would be really cool to have those on an official disc. Again, the Legacy release was more an expansion of the OST album than an archival presentation. I'm sure this new LLL release will be the ultimate one.

Quite a bit is missing, here's the list....

Love Theme Overture

Main Titles

Klingon Battle

Total Logic

Floating Office

The Enterprise

Malfunction

Goodbye Klingons

Goodbye Epsilon Nine

Pre-Launch Countdown

Leaving Drydock

TV Theme (Captain's Log Cue)

Warp One

No Goodbyes

Spock's Arrival

TV Theme (Second Captain's Log Cue)

Warp Seven

Meet Vejur

The Cloud

Vejur Flyover

The Force Field

Micro-Exam

TV Theme (Third Captain's Log Cue)

Games

Thruster Suit

Spock-Walk

Systems Inoperative

Hidden Information

Inner Workings

Voyager 6

Vejur Speaks

The Meld

A Good Start

End Credits

Okay this is strictly going off of the 20th Anniversary CD, nothing from the bootlegs.

Love Theme Overture

-is on said CD but it's not the film version. The film version is a different take.

Main Titles

-The one on the 20th Anniversary CD is the one from the "Director's Edition". The 1979 version which is different remains unreleased.

Floating Office

-The first three seconds for this cue for some reason were cut off completely. In the film it does NOT segue from "Total Logic" it is a stand alone cue.

Transporter Malfunction

-It's the cue that plays after they lose Commander Sonak and that other person they were trying to beam aboard the Enterprise. This cue is completely absent.

Goodbye Klingons

-This place when the crew is on the recreation deck watching the recording of the Klingon battle cruiser being destroyed by this alien entity. This cue is absent.

Goodbye Epsilon Nine

-The crew watches "live" in awe as this cloud completely seems to vaporize Epsilon Nine, killing all those aboard. This is also absent

Pre-Launch Countdown

-This cue plays after Kirk says, "Pre-Launch Countdown will commence in forty minutes". This is absent as well.

TV Theme (First Captain's Log Cue)

-This plays right after leaving Dry-Dock and is Kirk's official log in two and half years. This is missing as well.

Warp One

-This plays as Kirk gives the command for the ship to enter Warp One and it's before the wormhole incident.

No Goodbyes

-From what I was told this was supposed to be on the 20th Anniversary CD but was scrapped at the last moment, so it's absent. This would play when Ilia and Decker are in the corridor talking about their last meeting with each other.

Warp Seven

-This is the cue after Spock arrives and helps Scotty repair the warp drive to operational status. There is unused music for this cue and remains absent.

Meet Vejur

-This would play when it shows the screen on condition Red Alert and the Enterprise nearing the cloud entity. This is absent from the set.

The Force Field

-What is on the 20th Anniversary CD for this cue is actually an alternate. The film version remains unreleased.

Micro-Exam

-This is the piece that plays when McCoy, Kirk, and Chappel are in sickbay examining the Ilia probe. This is absent from the set.

TV Theme (Third Captain's Log Cue)

-All though this could have been tracked from the second one but we'll find out soon enough.

Thruster Suit

-This piece would start after Spock is beginning to fire up the thruster suit before venturing deeper into the interior Vejur.

Systems Inoperative

-This would be when Vejur fires the same balls of energy that hit the Enterprise towards Earth but are 100x's more powerful than the ones the Enterprise first encountered. This is missing as well.

Hidden Information

-This is when the crew discovers there is in fact a vessel of some type at the very heart of Vejur to which the Ilia probe reveals. This cue is missing as well.

Inner Workings

-The last seven seconds of this cue were cut off before it went into the next cue...

Voyager 6

-This cue plays when Kirk rubs off the dust/soot from the panel of "Vejur" only to discover it's the 20th Century NASA probe "Voyager 6". This cue remains absent as well.

There are also alternates for "The Enterprise", "Leaving Drydock", "No Goodbyes", "Spock's Arrival", "The Force Field", I THINK "Micro-Exam", as well as "Inner Workings / Voyager 6" that remain absent and not released.

So ya there's quite a bit missing.

Trent is right, all that music plus more remains unreleased.

The complete score to the film is about 85 minutes, only 40 of which were on the original LP and only 60 of which were on the 1999 expanded release.

And on top of the 85 minute main score, there are a LOAD of alternates and early versions, many of which are drastically different from the final versions.

No Goodbyes

-From what I was told this was supposed to be on the 20th Anniversary CD but was scrapped at the last moment, so it's absent. This would play when Ilia and Decker are in the corridor talking about their last meeting with each other.

That's a good one. Goldsmith crams so much emotion and enchantment into this really brief cue.

I have barely any money.

If it's that important to you and your situation is that dire, we'll have a JWFan fundraiser.

I have barely any money.

Ah understandable. I am in the same boat. Lately I have been getting only what I truly want IE: Hook. If I don't have money to get a CD I don't want, then I don't.

Maybe see if a fellow member is able to get you a copy then if you can at some point pay that said person back when you're able to. :)

Even though I didn't need to have Good Musician pay me back I bought him a copy of Hook because he couldn't afford to get it.

If it's that important to you and your situation is that dire, we'll have a JWFan fundraiser.

A JWFan fundraiser to buy a Goldsmith CD? What is this place coming to?

That's very kind of you, but I would find it somewhat uncomfortable to have such a thing done just for me to get a CD.

Maybe see if a fellow member is able to get you a copy then if you can at some point pay that said person back when you're able to. :)

Well I might get lucky in two months, we'll see what happens :)

If LLL blows their wad on Star Trek TMP in June, what will they have left to unveil for big Comic Con titles this summer?

If LLL blows their wad on Star Trek TMP in June, what will they have left to unveil for big Comic Con titles this summer?

If you got approved this week for a title that you go so far as to pronounce your "crowning achievement", a title you have been working on since 2008 or 2009, and have paid a very large amount of money to produce - would you purposely not start selling it until comic con in July or would you sell it on the first available Tuesday you could?

If you got approved this week for a title that you go so far as to pronounce your "crowning achievement", a title you have been working on since 2008 or 2009, and have paid a very large amount of money to produce - would you purposely not start telling it until comic con in July or would you sell it on the first available Tuesday you could?

Given that Comic-Con is the biggest nerd gathering in the world, going for that isn't necessarily a bad idea.

But if you debut it at Comic-Con, you build up anticipation (the same way they did with Krull and Batman) and you get the nerd market that don't necessarily follow film music forums but are interested in owning a complete TMP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's coming out sooner, but it's a sound business move.

The nerd market who wants their crowning achievement title will still be able to buy it at comic con even if its released before, though.

Plus, who knows what plethora of other goodies they will have to debut at comic con. The June 5th title may be huge, but there could be more nerd-specific titles that they plan to be their comic-con titles.

I don't see the point of sitting on inventory for a month in a half that they could be selling. It costs money to store things.