The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I've never heard it before. What scores/composers would you say it's most similar to?

There some cool ethnic guitar/orchestra action stuff in there, and a gorgeous desert theme reminiscent of Jarre.

Big news from La-La Land Records (https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords) tomorrow morning, and it'll be revealed first exclusively on The World's Finest. You do not want to miss this...

https://www.facebook.com/theworldsfinestonline/posts/677406268969950

I'm banking on the advance Zimmer score. I believe he took care of that in a weekend by hitting the B-flat below middle C on his keyboard and it generated most of the score from that sample.

I don't think Richard Penna realized how much sarcasm you can wring out of this comment.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoah! :o It is going to be an awesome couple of batches! Flesh + Blood and The Blue Max for me thank you! Re-released for the 3rd time. LLL is just awesome! :)

Well, apparently there's no significant difference between this new and the previous release of Flesh and Blood (which I own), so I'll pass on that one. I already own the previous two releases of the Blue Max. Is a third really necessary?

Another Blue Max, eh? I wonder if there'll be any difference to the last release. As with Flesh + Blood, I already have two releases of the score. Since F+B is supposed to be identical, I can skip that.

I haven't got a single edition of either of those. From the general consensus, I gather they are worth having?

And, again, speaking of The Matrix Revolutions, it is Don Davis' birthday today. :)

Karol

I haven't got a single edition of either of those. From the general consensus, I gather they are worth having?

Definitely. Both rank very highly in their respective composer's output.

Yeah, I've never heard Flesh and Blood. Heard the main titles, which sounded great. Looking forward to grabbing this release!

Flesh + Blood is highly recommended. Excellent classic Poledouris.

The Blue Max is definitely worth getting as well!

Oh and yes The Matrix Revolutions as well. ;)

It stands to assume Revolutions wasn't part of the 90th Anniversary for Warner Brothers. So hence not having almost the same cover design for Reloaded. I don't mind it, not sure why there's complaint against it.

The score was supposed to be released last year, but got delayed. Superman set has the ribbon, but it has been released just,last week.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

Karol

Looking forward to Revolutions :D I note it says 'expanded' which means it might not be 'complete' but might instead have everything the original boot had plus maybe a little extra. Not complaining, because the music's awesome anyway!

If I recall correctly, LLL stopped using the word "complete" on releases due to complaints on some release or another. Doesn't mean the release is or isn't complete, just that nobody can call them liars if it is somehow "incomplete." :)

Interesting to see how both LLL and Intrada have moved away from clues/guessing games, and are just revealing titles a week, and in some cases, a month in advance.

Are they just more confident about projects not falling through?

Interesting to see how both LLL and Intrada have moved away from clues/guessing games, and are just revealing titles a week, and in some cases, a month in advance.

Are they just more confident about projects not falling through?

It's possible.

I like the new Blue Max art, but even if these added a lot more music, I am content with the previous edition, same with F+B. I have zero interest in the Matrix scores, and I'm unfamiliar with Escape.

Looking forward to Revolutions (though that one's gonna have to wait since there's other releases from LLLR, Intrada, and Varese I have yet to pick up and don't want to miss out on)and Escape From LA. Just wish Escape Fom LA had more than 1500 copies. I don't want to miss that one, b/c I don't own the 1996 Milan release. And I'm a fan of both Carpenter and Walker's music, in general. Looks like we'll be getting plenty of Walker this year. Last week S:TAS , next week Escape From LA, and hopefully some time later this year B:TAS Vol.3. Now if only some label can reissue Walker's Memoirs Of An Invisible Man since that's been long OOP. Maybe Varese will next week, but I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

THREE exciting new titles are going on sale at La-La Land Records next Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 12 pm pst:
First up:
JOHN CARPENTER’S ESCAPE FROM L.A.
MUSIC BY SHIRLEY WALKER AND JOHN CARRPENTER
LIMITED EDITION OF 1500 UNITS
LLLCD 1285
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98
EXECUTIVE ALBUM PRODUCER (FOR LA-LA LAND RECORDS) DAN GOLDWASSER
MASTERED BY DOUG SCHWARTZ AT MULHOLLAND MUSIC
LINER NOTES BY DANIEL SCHWEIGER
ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER
Paramount Pictures and La-La Land Records present an expanded Limited Edition release of Shirley Walker’s and John Carpenter’s score to ESACPE FROM L.A. For the sequel score to the cult hit ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, composers Walker and Carpenter create a vastly more heroic symphonic score while retaining the inventive electronic palette that had come to represent Snake in the previous film. This newly expanded release clocks in at nearly 79 minutes, featuring music recorded for, but unused in, the final film. New liner notes by Daniel Schweiger and artwork by Dan Goldwasser round out this slick package.
Next up:
When asked if one would be interested in reissuing a score by Basil Poledouris to film directed by Paul Verhoeven the answer is always a resounding -- YES!
FLESH AND BLOOD
MUSIC BY BASIL POLEDOURIS
LIMITED EDITION OF 1200 UNITS
LLLCD 1293
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98
PRODUCED BY FORD A THAXTON
MASTERED BY JAMES NELSON
LINER NOTES BY RANDALL D. LARSON
ART DIRECTION BY MARK BANNING
MGM and La-La Land Records are proud to present the “RE-re-reissue” of one of Mr. Poledouris’ finest scores – FLESH AND BLOOD. If you are a previous owner of this magnificent score there is absolutely no need whatsoever for you to purchase this score again (unless you are a label completest). However, if you did not get the chance to purchase this amazing score – a score much in the vein of the composer’s Conan music -- then I highly recommend buying this muscular action fantasy extravaganza! While retaining the Intrada releases running order, the new album’s producer (Ford A. Thaxton) along with the mastering engineer (James Nelson) have tweaked the sound to their liking. New liner notes by Randall D. Larson have also been added to this release. Previous releases of Poledouris’ FLESH + BLOOD have featured album notes incorporating comprehensive analysis of the film’s musical score in detail. Rather than rework the same type of commentary here, Larson decided to let Mr. Poledouris speak for himself. He went back to the original interview that he and David Kraft did with Mr. Poledouris at his home on May 19, 1985, which to our knowledge was the only detailed contemporary interview he gave on the subject of this film. Much of that lengthy conversation has remained unpublished until now. Classy art direction by Mark Banning is the cherry on top.
If you don’t have this magnificent score now is your chance to snatch it up! It’s one of Mr. Poledouris’ best works!
Last but not least we will have SIGNED COPIES of Bear McCreary’s latest opus:
KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM
MUSIC BY BEAR MCCREARY
RETAIL PRICE $15.98
Like with previous autographed versions of Bear’s work, this one is also limited to 360 units on the La-La Land Records website. Once they are gone, they are gone for good from us.
Unsigned, regular retail copies can be purchased through Bear’s website or directly through amazon.com
These 3 new releases go on sale Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 12 pm pst at www.lalalandrecords.com
See y’all then!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10152278055728755?