Your Favourite Movie (notice, no "s")

Melange

New movies will come and possibly change things,but what is your favourite movie out of all the ones you've seen so far in your life? It doesn't matter how old it is or how unpopular it may be to others. Just choose ONE movie only, and tell us what that movie is and why you find yourself coming back to it again and again (and again).

And no,in this thread the cop out of putting second and third and fourth and fifth (etc) choices down is forbidden. However uncomfortable it feels (and it is) to restrict yourself to naming one, give it a go and see if you can manage it. Infact I challenge you all to name one movie and one movie alone, and not give into temptation ;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, let's do it...

Rio Bravo

I love Westerns and it's a great one.

A simple, yet good story.

Great characters & actors (Grumpy!).

Angie Dickinson (wow!).

A good balance of tension and humor.

The humor is good and natural (Chance's interaction with Carlos).

A perfect movie.

Today it's All the President's Men.

A movie that's basically just people talking shouldn't work, but it's pulled off here through smart writing, great cast and cinematography. Outstanding all around.

I can actually do it, because my favourite movie keeps changing with time, e. g. it was Home Alone when I was 12, but at the moment, it's GoodFellas. :P I'll let y'all know when this changes. ;)

close_encounters.jpg

I've loved this movie ever since the first time I saw it when I was about 9. It also was the first film that allowed me to start viewing movies as an art-form.

E.T. the Extraterrestrial and his Adventures on Earth

for 27 years running.

My favorite movie? That must be the movie indicated by my avatar for it's the most sad yet joyful film I've ever experienced.

Blade Runner is, above all, a sensory experience where atmosphere and mise-en-scène give birth to thought and emotion... and creativity. The film is literally jam-packed with suggestive, resonating and evocative elements. Ridley Scott already utilized the same technique in Alien: Why is it there? What's its purpose? We get no answer. Answers are dull. The nail through Roy Batty's hand is just one of the many biblical references. As with most other things in Blade Runner, it's contradictory. We can see him either as a fallen angel or as a christ(like) figure, a unfortunate slave or as a plain villain. The story or the film itself never makes a conclusion. Why did Roy save Deckard? We, the audience, are asked to participate and to play with it, so that it fits our own individual perception. In a sense, we're invited to complete an unfinished story.

Alex

Keep em coming :)

Mine is Lawrence of Arabia.

Why? Well,the dialogue is just top notch,clever, and completely engaging over the entire great length of the movie.

So many lines spoken in this film have tremendous meaning, symbolism, and come with surprise switches that add intensity. Take the officers bar scene, a scene preceded by horrendous sand storms and conflict all culminating in a very intensely acted - "We want....two glasses....of lemonade". Genius. O'toole has intense (and also funny) lines in that scene. Then there is the personal chat between Faisal and Lawrence in the Royal tent (what I call the 'Gardens of Cordoba' scene) about the future of Arabia,accompanied by subtle creaking of the tent frames, and the desert breeze suddenly gusting strongly to rock the tent frames when Faisal says - "We need what no man can provide, Mr Lawrence. We need a miracle". Destiny approaches on the horizon, as Jarre's score returns subtly to the scene. Lawrence walks out of the tent with an intense gaze as Jarre's score provides a deep gong sound to our ears. It sends shivers up my spine. Add to all this the superb score by Maurice Jarre and sweeping vistas of cinematography, and it's one I come back to again and again and never find myself finding it old. Below, folks have put scenes I mention,on YouTube.

Lost Gardens of Cordoba Scene

Scene

scene (slightly damaged in the first 9 seconds)

Keep em coming :)

Mine is Lawrence of Arabia.

Why? Well,the dialogue is just top notch,clever, and completely engaging over the entire great length of the movie.

So many lines spoken in this film have tremendous meaning, symbolism, and come with surprise switches that add intensity. Take the officers bar scene, a scene preceded by horrendous sand storms and conflict all culminating in a very intensely acted - "We want....two glasses....of lemonade". Genius. O'toole has intense (and also funny) lines in that scene. Then there is the personal chat between Faisal and Lawrence in the Royal tent (what I call the 'Gardens of Cordoba' scene) about the future of Arabia,accompanied by subtle creaking of the tent frames, and the desert breeze suddenly gusting strongly to rock the tent frames when Faisal says - "We need what no man can provide, Mr Lawrence. We need a miracle". Destiny approaches on the horizon, as Jarre's score returns subtly to the scene. Lawrence walks out of the tent with an intense gaze as Jarre's score provides a deep gong sound to our ears. It sends shivers up my spine. Add to all this the superb score by Maurice Jarre and sweeping vistas of cinematography, and it's one I come back to again and again and never find myself finding it old. Below, folks have put scenes I mention,on YouTube.

Lost Gardens of Cordoba Scene

Scene

scene (slightly damaged in the first 9 seconds)

I totally agree, it is my favorite, too.

What we all fail to realize is that Melange plans to buy each of us an additional copy of our favorite movie, and so because his funds are limited, he does not want to buy us each four or five films.

There is no one movie in my collection that, if for some reason I found myself watching it and only it for the rest of my life, would not cause me to rip my eyeballs out in sheer antagonizing frustration and reluctance to live.

My favorite movie? That must be the movie indicated by my avatar for it's the most sad yet joyful film I've ever experienced.

Blade Runner is, above all, a sensory experience where atmosphere and mise-en-scène give birth to thought and emotion... and creativity. The film is literally jam-packed with suggestive, resonating and evocative elements. Ridley Scott already utilized the same technique in Alien: Why is it there? What's its purpose? We get no answer. Answers are dull. The nail through Roy Batty's hand is just one of the many biblical references. As with most other things in Blade Runner, it's contradictory. We can see him either as a fallen angel or as a christ(like) figure, a unfortunate slave or as a plain villain. The story or the film itself never makes a conclusion. Why did Roy save Deckard? We, the audience, are asked to participate and to play with it, so that it fits our own individual perception. In a sense, we're invited to complete an unfinished story.

Alex

Deckard is Human!

If I had to pick just one, if my depended on it, if I had no other choice, if the world was going to explode if I didn't pick my favorite movie of all times...

It would be Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. It's the only movie that I feel comfortable in calling my favorite. I don't think anything in pop culture has left as big of an impact on me as the series, and I feel that ESB is the pinnacle of it. You get older, your tastes change, but I'll always love Star Wars.

Well, best movie of all time will have to be the best Star Wars movie:

The Empire Strikes Back

Apart of all the Star Warsyness it even gives you the rare outer space science fiction feeling (in the end when Luke and Leia look down onto the whole galaxy) - pure genious

I have a circle of favourite movies, but I don't have a favourite.

They're all far too good and too diverse to pick one above all others.

You can do it, Marian. :lol:

Yes Marian Can! , Yes Marian Can! , Yes Marian Can! , Yes Marian Can!

At any given time it is either Jaws, Raiders or Fellowship. They are my definitives.

At a push I'll stump for Fellowship of the Ring, first and foremost since its the movie which ticks all the boxes (for me) as well as starring Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey - a character and performance I love dearly. Without McKellen's involvement I doubt FotR would be my number one choice.

I can't pick just one. I have about 5 or 6 films that I could lay claim as my favorite.

I have a circle of favourite movies, but I don't have a favourite. They're all far too good and too diverse to pick one above all others.

E.T. is easy. It touched me like no other film.

Its easily Spielberg's greatest cinematic achievement, and most personal. Its as if he spoke to me.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

It's not a film I'd watch twice a week, but whenever I do, it's always a joy to watch from start to finish. Fantastic movie, fantastic entertainment and one of the best sequels of all time.

Do forums about parenting ask you to pick your favorite child?

Oh that's easy, my daughter is my favorite.

Then you wouldn't have a problem when faced with a Sophie's Choice. Lucky you!

Empire of the Sun.

Sorry, Peio.

Since when is this your favorite movie, Ross?

Do forums about parenting ask you to pick your favorite child?

Oh that's easy, my daughter is my favorite.

:lol:

Parents always have a favorite, but they always lie when asked by their kids! I know I'm not the favorite.

I was kidding around, seriously no decent parent would say that.

Now one of them tends to get on my nerves more than the other but I love them both the same.